Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Waltons Hot Rod.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by upperwhitetrash, Feb 20, 2010.

1. upperwhitetrash

upperwhitetrash

Was playin on the net today and ran across a cool Waltons episode. Does anyone remember the Waltons???? It was the one where Jim Bob came back from the military, He ended up building a hot rod out of his sisters,( I think) Roadster. We all remember the more popular t.v. and movie hot rods..... But what about the cars that popped up in the "notta car flick" movies/shows? If you have never seen this, try google-ing it. I think you can google Waltons hot rod episode, And it will pop up. Real looking rod, and one of the cars that started my love affair with Hot Rods!!

2. Wow, I forgot about the Waltons!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XGC_z6gC_Cs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XGC_z6gC_Cs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

3. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Good night John boy....

4. he sure got a lot done on the A in one week

5. upperwhitetrash

upperwhitetrash

INLAW, Thats AWESOME you posted that video!!! My skills end when I walk indoors! LOL! I remember watching that when I was a kid and lovin on that car!!!

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My whole family (12 of us) watched the Waltons very often when was a teen in the '70s. My wife and I enjoyed them all the time, when they were reruns on TV. And now, I think we've watched every episode on youtube. If you weren't aware, the TV series is based on the original movie entitled "The Homecoming"...all the same kids, (very young) but different parents. It's also on youtube. Anyway...

I've seen that episode with Jim Bob's hot rod a few times. Not to be negative, but that car was a poor choice for the show. It was a modern-style car, and was nothing like what would've really been built at the time. Regardless, I still enjoyed the episode. "Goodnight upper"..."Goodnight Rickybop". LOL.

7. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Little John Buttera's car will always be cool, but doesn't quite fit the era.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So that was Buttera's car, huh? Now that you mention it...no kiddin'. Thought it looked familiar. Thanks for the trivia, krylon!

9. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Wow, I never watched a single episode of the Waltons and now I'm happy that I didn't. What was with the 80's hair in a show set in the 40's???? and a Model A with four bars??? In the 40's??? :rolleyes:

10. upperwhitetrash

upperwhitetrash

Dont want to sound even more clueless than normal... But who is John Buttera? Are there more pics of that car somewhere?

11. Deuces

Deuces

I remember that show..... That came out in the B.C. era........ Before Cable.

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to get kinda off-track there, upper. Actually you were bringing up the subject of cool cars in "non hot rod related flicks". You're right...there've been many movies and TV shows with hot rods and cool cars. My wife and I love watching the old black and white movies, and it's often like a vintage car-show! I remember one movie from long ago with a cool car. I was just a kid, and I can't remember the name of the movie, or even the exact car. But it was definitely a "monster movie", and the heroin had what I believe was a '49 to about a '54 custom coupe or sedan that he had built. I think it may have been a Chevy, but maybe a Plymouth or Dodge. Anyway...at the end of the movie, he and the cops load his car with explosives, and send it across the field toward the monster. It blows up the monster, and all is saved. But this guy is reeeeeaaaally bummed that his custom got blown up! The last lines of the movie have the cops sayin', "Don't worry, we'll get you another car." The guy says, "You'll never be able to replace that car." Wish I could remember the name of the movie. Can't think of any others right now, but if I do, I'll be back!

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was a heart-warming family-show, Belchfire. Maybe not your speed?! :D And you have to realize, that these folks lived in the mountains of Virginia, and did'nt necessarily get haircuts as frequently as the "city folk". So yeah, they did get to lookin' kinda long-haired maybe.

P.S. - The early episodes were definitely better than the later ones.

But again...we're getting off-track from what upper meant this thread to be about.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  14. fitzee

fitzee

I remember very little of it but watch it as a kid. I remember the old car that he build from junk.The show is on here ever evening at 6.30.I make a point to watch it when I can.there were a lot of old cool cars on that show

15. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Lil" John Buttera was (and still is, as far as I know) a well known hot rod builder who gained fame in the '80s for a few very nicely finished cars that he built. I believe the story goes, that he couldn't afford, or simply didn't want to pay for certain components such as rear-view mirrors, and gauge-panels and such, but was a good machinist, so he built his own from billet aluminum. I think he also started the common practice of doing some ball-milling in those parts as well, for decorative purposes. So...we can pretty much thank him for initiating the "billet era". Not cool among traditionalists, but the fact remains that he had some skills, and built some cool hot rods. I think the first one that he really put him on the map, was a chocolate-brown T sedan with wire wheels. Nice car.

Now, back to cool cars in non car related movies.

16. Doug B

Doug B

He's the guy who invented 'billet'...:D

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0052846/

Watch the movie here:

http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi3531014169/

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  18. 61TBird

61TBird

There's a guy that joined last year and got some grief/abuse for posting pics of another Buttera built car he has.
    Here's the link for pics.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/album.php?albumid=6783

19. metal man

metal man

Before John Buttera was a rodder , he made quite a name for himself building very competitive top fuel chassis . Also was deeply involved in an Indy -car team in the early '80's that was never really all that competitive . Went on to design most of the stuff that Coddington marketed , including the independent front and rear suspension .

20. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I hated that show Thought it was gay .checked out the car ,It doesn't fit the era .Either did the wooden doors ,They are painted Luan and they were not solid wood .Nice car and nice thread but to lame of a show .....

21. junior 1957

junior 1957

the waltons spelled backwards is snot law

22. Little John Buttera (RIP) was pretty much the father of billet. At the time he was considered progressive. He was also an excellent craftsman. Most of his early work was done with basic hand tools and entry level lathes and mills. He raised standards in the hobby and all of us, including the "traditional" clan, owe him a lot.

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah, John? Well fiberglass sucks too! LOL! (John knows I'm kiddin', guys...inside joke.)

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey upper...I just thought of a good one. Can't believe I didn't remember this before. (Got distracted talking about other stuff.) Anyway...are you familiar with the old Ozzie and Harriet TV show? You know who Ricky Nelson is? This is probably the most well-known "non car related flik, to have a cool car in it. One episode had to do with a hot rod roadster that belonged to a friend of Ricky's. Long story short, Ricky and his friend end up in a race with Ricky's father. Ricky and his friend are of course in the hot rod, but Ricky's dad is in an original oldie...a model T, I believe. Check it out...it's also on youtube. Like I said, probably the most famous hot rod episode in a non-car-related show.

25. That '32 rules... that episode is called "The Road Race"

26. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Been along time since i ever remember seeing the Waltons, however i do remember that episode.

27. Von Scott

Von Scott
    from fresno,ca

Yeah, I thought that car was a little modern.

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, good_ol_boy. That's right..."The Road Race". And the '32 is the coolest.

Johnny Gee...Your signature is funny! But...shouldn't it read, "I got 80W90 on my finger when I checked my rearend" ? Maybe not. Hahahahaha! Uuuum...sorry.

29. upperwhitetrash

upperwhitetrash

Rickybop.
    Holy crap!!! I do remember watching that! (Ozzie/Harriet show) That was cool! I know happy days was about a little of everything, But two of my fav's were when Ritchie Bought the stolen "love machine" and another when Fonzie souped up Mr. C's Stude. For some race. That one opened my eyes to the "Sleeper Cars" And yes... The waltons were pretty lame. I lived with my Granfparents, and it was one of the shows they would watch. There was also some cool back woods cars/ trucks on Deliverance.....And does anyone remember that Black n White Gangster show that the actors/actress' were all kids, and they drove those old model A or T full size looking pedal cars? I would love to know the name of that one. Cant find it anywhere.

30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ya not :rolleyes::D