Register now to get rid of these ads!

There's still hope !!! Woo Whooo!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turdmagnet, Feb 20, 2010.

1. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

:D Here's my first "sappy" story.

I've got 2 teenage daughters that thought I was nuts when I brought my 51 poncho home - they affectionately dubbed it "The Turd". When I need a second hand in the garage, its like pulling hen's teeth to get them to help - "its your old car - you fix it !!!".

Well my eldest recently got her drivers license and has surpirsed me by starting to take an interest in cars - she gets mom's minivan to drive - but has been asking a lot of good questions. Today I needed help bleeding the new master cylinder conversion I'm finishing up so I thought we'd see how serious see was and asked her if she would be interested helping out after she finished work. As soon as she got home, she came out and dove right in - she even asked why I was doing certain wheels in a sequence.

I've always kinda wondered what it would be like to have boys that I could "chum" around with, but after today, I couldn't be happier that I've got the girls I do !!! She even let me get a picture of her in "uniform" to boot !!! Its been a great day !!!!

Attached Files:

2. "Turd" LOL Kids can be so cruel! Sounds like you had fun, keep her at it.

kgdb

3. storm king

storm king

My daughter an I had a lot of fun together for many years when she was growing up. She worked in the garage a lot with me, but we were just doing bikes at the time, well, except for my 350/350 Chevy Luv. She could ride a motorcycle when she was 4, before she could ride a bicycle without training wheels. When she was seven, I got here a YSR50, Yamaha's street legal mini road racer.
    Daughters are great shop hands! I hope you can really build something with this.

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I hope My daughters show an interest at that age ,There 7 right now ,And they show interest now ,But after a few minutes I start losing my hair ,Im glad Im patient with them ,I don't want to discourage them or make them feel that they are not wanted ,Holds me back some time ,But they know if Im welding not to be around ,They sort of understand .I wish you and your tribe the best .

5. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Count your lucky stars! I have 2 sons that have now moved away from home that I could never get interested in rods the whole time they were hear under their noses.

So cool to hear your girls are coming around in time........
    Even though you are a magnet, don't forget, you can't polish them.
    Turds that is......................
    Sir Woosh

6. UA_HoBo

UA_HoBo
    from Oswego NY

i bet that minni van is doing visious burnouts as we speak

7. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

My teenager daughters call my Acadian the hearst. They have no interest in it. In fact my 19 yr recently got a new car, and I thought I may repair what I can and pay for what I can't on her old '87 Honda Accord, and my 17 yr old could drive it when she gets her license. She told me she does not want it... says it's too old and not cool. She can buy her own "new and cool" car...good luck.
    My 10 yr old boy likes my Acadian. I hope he still has an interest in old cars when he is old enough to drive.

8. inkmunky

inkmunky

That's my worst nightmare.... besides clowns :eek:

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's always good to here young people taking an interest in something other than video games. It's even better that you took the time to teach. There's hope for the future yet.

10. ChevyDevil

ChevyDevil

Keep those girls interested! There are far too few gals involved with cars. Dad was a bummed when my brother showed no interest in cars but I did. He's now happy that I love my 55 and that my brother might just be coming around.

11. BIG APE

BIG APE

My daughter started helping me with my custom 49 F-1 when she was fourteen, it was the first car she drove. When I sold it and bought a 49 Nash 600, which she named the LIMA BEAN, She helped me with all aspects of building it and autocrossed and srove on the Texas track at Goodguys. Even though I'm not finished the Nash, we'er building her a 31 Model A high boy, which she's just dying to drive. I wouldn't trade her for any boy. Great girl to have around

12. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

My oldest daughter is 39. She still has the 69 Camaro she bought when she was 16. We are re-re-doing it now. 355, Vortec heads, Comp cam, T5 5 speed, Ford candy apple red.

13. metalman

metalman

Nothing wrong with girls having intrest. Mine have always had to spend a lot of time in the shop, whould help because they were "board". The oldest turned into quite a gearhead, had a 68 Camaro at 14, got an engine rebuild kit for her 16th birthday and built her own motor. By 19 she had swapped in a 4 speed and 9" 4:11 rear end and was racing it. My youngest turned 13 yesterday, last summer while at the shop she tore apart and started rebuilding an old 50's bicycle. Now she's talking about what type of car she wants (leaning toward a 65/66 Mustang) but she WANTS to go to cruise nights with me now. Starting to tell what the cars are, you know, she'll say "she likes that Model A" or "nice Bel Air". Oh yeah, I'm told I MUST pick her up at school (middle school) in something "cool", she has to maintain her image as the "car girl". I couldn't be happier.

14. markjenks

markjenks

My wifes dad was always bummed that not one of his kids was ever interested in working on cars at all. One of the 7 actually will change his own plugs, but that's about it.

Then I came along... Son in law that works on everything, and has the same interests as him. It's like the kid he never had.

Too bad I live in Wisconsin and he lives in Phoenix. If we lived closer we'd be best buds by now. ;)

I think I talk to him more than his kids do! lol

15. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

You guys w/ kids are WAY lucky. Treasure them.