Register now to get rid of these ads!

"Pretty" Top Fuel cars..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gotgas, Dec 8, 2006.

1. I've seen the Hanna cackle car several times. I have only missed 2 California Hot Rod Reunions since it started in '92. I've been a "Bakersfield junkie" since then.
    As much as he has into it, etc, it still is not on the level, money wise, as a current nostalgia Top fuel car. You guys just do not understand to costs of operating a top fueler, it is many times the cost of a show car, even a real fancy one like this.
    Of course, not taking anything away from the craftsman/legend Or his car. I was just answering someone who wanted to know why it isn't raced. It is a work of art and very easy on the eyes, just not a race car.

Steve
    www.pontiacheaven.org

<DIR>Hosting 11th annual Pontiac Heaven, show, swap, drags, party and all around good time. Saturday April 4, 2009 at Speedworld near Phoenix, Az
    Also hosting- 7th annual Nostalgic Show and Go! and swap coming Sunday April 5, 2009 to Speedworld. Phoenix, Az
    </DIR>

2. rooman

rooman

As much as he has into it, etc, it still is not on the level, money wise, as a current nostalgia Top fuel car. You guys just do not understand to costs of operating a top fueler, it is many times the cost of a show car, even a real fancy one like this.
    Of course, not taking anything away from the craftsman/legend Or his car. I was just answering someone who wanted to know why it isn't raced. It is a work of art and very easy on the eyes, just not a race car.

Steve
    www.pontiacheaven.org

Steve,
    I do understand the costs of operating a top fuel car as I work for John Force and crew for Brendan Murry (when I can get away from my "day" job). Tom may not be putting a rack in the car every time that he cackles it but if you billed out the time that he has in that car at anything like a regular shop rate the resultant number would probably fund a good NTF car for at least a season. It may not race per se but it is still one of the best (if not THE best) front motor dragsters ever.
    I am not trying to disparage your efforts with your Pontiac powered car but Tom has more $$$ in his hauler than you have in your entire race package. He is also a good friend of Bob Creitz and if he did want to race I have no doubt that he could run with the big dogs. And he can afford it, trust me.

Roo

3. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I would kill just to sweep Hanna's shop floor...................Littleman

4. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Thanks Roo .............Google Hanna's house the house that Pat Foster built , What can you say........ Awesome

5. One of the best looking fuelers I ever saw was "Sparkling Burgundy." Mike Lewis of Maple Grove, NHRA, and now Don Schumaker Racing was involved. Unfortunately I don't have a picture and only saw it shown once. Anybody have pics or know more history ? was it ever raced ?

6. riceman

riceman

Hanna is one one side of the world with his Fueler and I am on the other side. High Tech CNC vs. Hacksaw and a file, but for the same purpose. Self satisfaction. Nothing prettier than smokin thru the lights at 220 mph on October 30, 1966 at San Fernando.

Attached Files:

7. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

8. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Tom Davison, nice shots. Got anymore?

9. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Only one more on this computer. I have lots more at home. Here's Ivo with matching towCad at Indy.

[​IMG]

10. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

11. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

Riceman - that's what I am talking' about! Now, I'd probably never drive one of these beasts, but even the cacklecars - as sanitary as they are - I love the "home brewed" variety just as much.

And while we're on the subject of "home brewed" - I can't believe no one's posted a pic of what I believe is the prettiest rail I've seen in awhile...granted, it's not a vintage AA/FD, but it's certainly captured the spirit:

Attached Files:

12. rooman

rooman

These pix are over int he drag cars in motion thread but I might as well put them up here as well. Brendan Murry's new NT/F digger, fired for the first time last weekend 60 days after we started building it.

Roo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 1957Custom

1957Custom
    from Tulsa Ok

Here's our old fueler being restored. The owner had had it out at Bakersfield since it was painted.

[​IMG]

14. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

And while we're on the subject of "home brewed" - I can't believe no one's posted a pic of what I believe is the prettiest rail I've seen in awhile...granted, it's not a vintage AA/FD, but it's certainly captured the spirit:[/QUOTE]

Well thank you very much. Means alot. My heart and soul are in that car. Brian

15. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Rooman, Brendan Murrys new car is beautyful. Great job. Looks like 1969 all over again.

16. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

Well thank you very much. Means alot. My heart and soul are in that car. Brian[/QUOTE]

Anytime - you should be justifiably proud (and sounds like you are). One day, I'll either own a vintage or have you build one for me!

17. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Well deserved praise. That car is awesome. And it does the coolest donuts! :D

18. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Dan Horan Sr.

Attached Files:

19. Of the mid '60's, I think that the Stellings & Hampshire Red Stamp fueler is THE car that was looked upto. I'm in love with that car so much, I tried to draw it for about a year before I got somewhat close. Someday, I'll own a remake.

[​IMG]

Or a Ramcharger's '71 Challenger flopper?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  20. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Awesome! Killer body on this one!!!

21. WCD

WCD

You have to get the CD dubbed "The Wonderful World of Wheels" from Carfilms.com. Filmed in 1965, it starred Llyod Bridges, it featured the various forms of motorsports. In the chapter devoted to drag racing, the film crew used the Scrima Liner as the star. Goob Tuller is seen suiting up and then making several passes at an abandoned Fontana Drag City. Various in camera shots are made, both from the back and front of the driver. One pass sees Tuller starting to lose it. The coolest shot is where the chute is deployed and the motor shut off, allowing the viewer to hear the howling of the wind at 190 MPH

22. WCD

WCD

Wasnt this car active in the show car circuit during the late 60's? I seem to recall it being painted white with sherbit flames. It was used in an ad for a company called National Speed Centers I think

23. Deuces

Deuces

These are fantastic!! Thanks guys! :)

24. WCD

WCD

Wow, rare shot of the Rainbows End car with Hampshire-Jeep that is-behind the wheel.

25. WCD

WCD

I think it might be Mike Carpenter lifting all fours with his top gas car

26. WCD

WCD

When Gene Coleman was fatally injured driving the above pictured Cretz and Coleman car, it was not equipped with the tail section mounted. The tail section was bought by Big John Bateman who mounted it on his Atlas Oil Tool Spl, that was piloted by Carbone to a Springnationals vitory in 1968

27. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

I've been around N/TF cars for a long time. Brendan Murry's new NT/F is killer. I wish more of the hitters would get away from the gutter type cars and go back to this stye of rail. The Rooman cars are bitchin!!

28. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

A couple more.....

Attached Files:

29. 22dodge

22dodge
    from Nevada

And...

Attached Files:

30. riceman

riceman

Gene Goleman not Coleman. 1968 Spring Nationals was won by Garlits at Englishtown, N. J. over Beebe & Mulligan who shutoff in the final. I remember Carbone winning the 1968 Hot Rod Magazine race at Riverside in Bateman's Woody car without the tail section. Gerry 'The Hunter" Glenn and Pat Foster drove for Bateman also in the Tail car. The tail car was destroyed with Glenn driving when the clutch cut the car in half. Then Pat Foster built the "'Stripped Bitch" at Woodys for Bateman.