Register now to get rid of these ads!

whos the best touble shooter on the hamb ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JAKE'S-Pumpkinella54, Feb 19, 2010.

1. squirrel

squirrel

Some things to look for....

If it is still original 6v system, most were positive ground, make sure the coil is connected so that the + and - terminals will get connected the same way the battery is connected. If the battery - is connected to ground, then the points connect to the - coil terminal. If it's positive ground, then the points go to + on the coil.

If you've been trying to start it a lot and it wont' start, but you have fresh gasoline in the carb, and it is getting spark, and the plug wires are in the right place...buy a NEW set of plugs (another NEW set if you already replaced the plugs once), and try them. Believe it or not, this will sometimes get a stubborn engine to start.

But if you don't have gasoline in the carb, you should fix that problem first.

Firing order is 153624

2. JAWS

JAWS

damn good point:D

3. allyoop

allyoop
    from Michigan

Checking for spark with a grounded plug is not 100% accurate. It is much easier to spark in open air than under compression. They sell a spark tester that simulates the load of compression. I've seen this in our shop the plug sparked good when grounded but the tester had a very small weak orange spark.

4. JAWS

JAWS

That doesn't automatically make it negative ground.

If you still have the original voltage reg, it will tell you if it is positive or negatively ground.

5. squirrel

squirrel

Good point.

I use a spark plug with the ground electrode cut off to test for spark. If it can jump the 1/4" from the center to the metal outside part of the plug, then the ignition is probably good. I got this trick from an old GM shop manual....

6. flamed34

flamed34

I disagree with this statement. I'm not saying I'm right! I just disagree! :D

Following the logic, under compression, the atoms (of air and gas) are more tightly packed. This would actually cause less resistance than in the open air at 1 ATM. To correlate...electricity has less voltage drop when traveling through gold than, say aluminum...because the atoms are more tightly packed.

With all that said, I don't think there's any measurable difference either way - under compression or in open air. Noted differences could be due to the resistance of the spark tester itself, ground, etc.

Of course, I could be wrong!

7. squirrel

squirrel

I guess you never played with the old Champion spark plug tester, that has the compressed air inlet and a pressure regulator and guage and buzz box? lotsa fun

[​IMG]

8. I just look at the old cap that i labled before removing it and the firing order is right on the cap but instead of going clock wise it goes counter clock wise?!! wtf

9. flamed34

flamed34

I haven't! Ok...learned something new! (I did say I might be wrong!) lol

I can still "logically" dismiss the theory, but they obviously build 'em for a reason! Now I need one to play with!

10. squirrel

squirrel

With the cap off, crank the engine, see which way the rotor turns. I don't happen to know if a cornbinder 6 goes clockwise or ccw, the old book I have doesn't say

11. i just looked some thing up i guess it right counter clock wise ... do v8 go clock wise ? ( just curious

12. JAWS

JAWS

More fun than a barrel o' monkeys for a weirdo like me.:D

13. squirrel

squirrel

Some engines have the distributor turn clockwise, others are counterclockwise. Example, small block Mopars (318 etc) turn clockwise, big block Mopars (383 etc) turn counterclockwise.

14. Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  15. greaseguns

greaseguns

Might be washed down cyl....pull all plugs and squirt some oil in all cyl. then crank it a bit with plugs out...reinstall plugs and try to start now

16. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Are you guys still fartin with this binder? LOL. Lippy

17. KRITTERSKUSTOMS

KRITTERSKUSTOMS
    from JONES, OK

If it is getting spark has anyone checked the compression. If it is too low it will never start.

18. fearnoevo

fearnoevo
    from Iowa

It already ran once, its something he did while swapping out all the parts or a bad new component.

Maybe it's time to take up crocheting?

19. lol !!!!!!!!!!!!! hey i got it started ....... but def need a fuel pump not pulling gas . thanks everyone.

20. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Great ,Im glad you got it running ,I just hope you can still find a dwell meter ,They are obsolete .

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I was going to say it secretly was coming on the HAMB and saw your avitar..so it was acting out in protest....hahaha

22. flamed34

flamed34

So...ultimately, what was the problem? Just not enough gas even though you were priming it at the carb? Or did you find / fix something else? Don't leave us hangin'!

23. nutajunka

nutajunka

He said it wasn't getting gas, unlike his avatar, she's full of it...:D Sorry again for the 100th. time...:p

24. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Yer points can be open if the car is shut off on a lobe. Sounds to me like yer point gap is wrong. Roll that thing over till yer on top of the lobe and set yer points at 18 thou. she will fire.

25. r8odecay

r8odecay

My inference is that he had #1 plug wire correct, and routed the rest of them clockwise, instead of counter clockwise...