Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A bones with later thicker axle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yule16met, Feb 19, 2010.

1. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Has anyone ever cut, welded, to make the bones larger?

Or has anyone ever milled the axle 1/8in top and bottom? I can have this in the Bridgeport by Monday and have my new front end togeather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I put the new tires on the front and the front sat WAY to low, so I got an axle, bones and new spring shackles for it. The bones were off of an old hot rod, looks like they welded tie rods into them. The axle was also off of an old hot rod.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  2. Pretty sure the bones are 32-36. They could be A that have been cut, The top arm looks to be weird, like there has been some extensive welding or reshaping going on. Model A bones are 2 1/4", the same thickness as the later axles.

I would be seriously questioning those bones.

3. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Another question? How do I rebuild those origional shocks? I had hoped leaving them in a coffee can full of oil they would free themselves up. Is there a way to dissasemble them?

4. doctorZ

doctorZ

Those look like 1932 bones to me. They're a bit shorter than the 1933/1934 bones and the 1935/1936 bones had the spring hanger in front. 1932-1936 bones are more expensive than A ones, so you should be able to sell them and get what you need. I personally would suggest 1937-1941 bones because they are longer (less caster change) and stronger.
    Sacramento Vintage Ford (916) 853-2244 sells the rebuild kits for them. There are some articles on the V8 club website as well as the MAFCA website on how to do it.

5. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

They are the same length as the radius rods im taking off. - Just under 30in. I dont want to weld a new mount on the frame if I dont have too. Frame has been powder coated. But I can push the front end out around an inch or two.

6. if you want to mill down your A axle to fit those bones it can be done. i did it on my mill by taking 1/8" from each side

7. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

Good to know! Otherwise I was going to try and find some Bones at the model A swap meet in the citties this sunday.
    Its not an A axle though... I think its a 37 and up

8. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I just did this. I cut 1/8 inch off both sides of the axle.....with a 3" die grinder, worked great.

9. Doesn't matter, "A" axles are 2 1/4", 37 + up axles are also 2 1/4". So you can put 39 bones on an "A" axle or put "A" bones on a 47 axle, Doesn't matter. It is when you start using 32-34 bones or axle that you run into the problems you are having, it is because the axle is 32-34 bones and axle are only 2".

10. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR