Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone ever shipped a tranny?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JAKE'S-Pumpkinella54, Feb 19, 2010.

1. anyone ?? best way to ship ?? and what kind of cost ? where to where did you ship ?

The hamb is great and i wish more people in the world helped each other like on the hamb . The world would be way cooler . jake

2. rebelrat

rebelrat

Yea but he got out the box !!!!!!!!

3. yes and it was a nightmare! i used ups it was a muncie 4 speed.
    this is how it left.
    [​IMG]

this is how it showed up.
    [​IMG]

they totaly destroyed the trans and it was a fresh rebuild. very nice trans. and it took two months for the claim to get taken care of.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Try www.uship.com

It works like Ebay. The shipping agents/companies bid on what you need shipped. You choose which one you want to use.

Malcolm

5. I shipped a bare engine block from SoCal to NY a few years ago. It cost around 130.00. I found a small pallet at work and cargo strapped it to the pallet. Then I took a ton of shrink wrap and went to town on the whole thing. Top, bottom, sides. There was no way the block was going to even shift in transit with the amount of shrink wrap I used. I used DHL.

6. I bought a 39 toploader and they shipped it ups. It was strapped to a pallet and shrinkwrapped.

7. thanks guys ............ ok so hundred and change ish ... thanks guys .

8. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I shipped an early 50 Olds 3 speed plus bell housing, clutch & pressure plate from Calif. to Texas thru FedEx and it was about $160. Bought a plastic tub at Walmart, cut a piece of plywood to fit the bottom loaded up the parts and duct taped the crap out of it.

9. Fogger

Fogger

I had a '39 Ford trans shipped from New England to Los Angeles. I requested FEDEX ground, it arrived on time with no damage. I will not use UPS for anything. USPS Priority is great for small parts.

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I sent a saginaw 4spd from Ks to Calif by UPS. I took two 2x6's the length of the tranny and fastened them side by side with two pieces of 2x4 at each end.Then banded the trans to the pallet. It cost 50 bucks to ship. It got there in a cardboard box with the throwout bearing collar busted. :mad: Lippy

11. mackster

mackster

he or she??? was this before the surgery?:confused: :D

12. chevyshack

chevyshack

Con-way freight. I work for them. We have less claims then ups and fedex put together. Im, not saying we are damage free because that rarely happens but we do a great job. Who-ever you use, make sure you use a pallet because it gets transfered to a few different trailers by a forklift on its way to the destination. Strap it down VERY well. Not sure on pricing but we haul alot of engines and trannies.

13. BackMotor

BackMotor

I shipped a Lenco 2 spd w/ reverser, from FL to the NorthEast, was $90 :eek:

14. thanks guys I wont be using ups .! If anyone knows of someone with a 3 speed man tranny for a chevy 49-54 to be used with a troq tube .. please pm me .. jake

15. silent rick

silent rick

i received a T5 in a cardboard box. the cardboard was some of the thickest i ever seen, some 3/8 inch thick stuff. it arrived in perfect condition. it came ups

16. SWIGJ

SWIGJ
    from JASPER GA

I have to ship parts from the salvage yard I work at almost every week. If you are shipping freight truck it's always cheaper to ship to a business it cost more to ship to a residence. Always get insurance if you don't they pay by the pound . An engine I shipped this week weighed 300 pounds so without insurance they would pay 30.00 for a total loss claim. The insurance cost 44.00 for 1700.00 coverage. We use freight quote and have never had a problem or a claim but you never know . I shipped the engine from Georgia to Arkanas cost was 89.00 plus 44.00 for Ins.

17. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

I ship almost two 4 speed transmissions a week via UPS Ground and have never had a problem. I ship them in a 31x12x11 plywood box with 2x3 support braces to secure the trans.

18. chevyshack

chevyshack

The main thing is to build it tough and strap it down good. Any LTL carrier you ship with does the same thing. Forklifts run 100 mph from one trailer to the next. Long story short, they are trying to beat the clock. It would take to long to explain the whole system unless your familiar with the trucking industry. Insurance is worth every penny.

19. Chopped26

Chopped26

I shipped t5s 2 yrs ago for about 95.00 bux ups and they do the packaging or 75.00 greyhound but I had to package it . ups is easy

20. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

I have yet, though a customer of mine purchased a tyranny all the way from Florida WHY?? I couldn't tell you, he was under the impression he was getting a deal of a life time, think the shop was Big Dogs or something. I refused it when it showed up, they just threw it in a Rubber maid container. I used a transfer punch and marked the tail shaft. He sent me out another one HE Claimed! it showed up just as bad, Rubbermaid container double boxed hahah did the same thing, Funny part was alls he did was swaop the tyranny pan, there was my same markings on the tail shaft. I went throhgh this 4 TIMES! he refused to credit my customer back, finally I got one on a pallet! sure enough it was a completly differnet tyranny. ~S

Attached Files:

21. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Shipped a 50 Olds trans 3 months ago, wraped it in cardboard, duct taped the shit out of it, 78 bucks through Fed-ex from Detroit to North Carolina. no problem.

22. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

I bought a T5 off ebay, the guy bought a storage tub (plastic tub with lid), that it fit in, he taped the hell out of it and shipped it UPS. The tub had handles so the UPS guys could pick it up easily, and not drop it. It arrived just fine... other than a broken shifter fork and bad bearings, not UPS's fault.

23. so about 100 bills .. thank you guys and gals

24. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Use Fed Ex they have a better track record. Go to their website and look at their packaging video.

25. 35outlaw

35outlaw

I work with fed ex ground and I would go with the freight truck idea. You may have 10-20 pallets on a freight truck where a fed ex truck will be loaded with thousands of other packages while in transit, then it will run down miles of conveyer belts (that are 50 feet in the air) when it goes through a terminal and any package can fall off a belt. You could check with fed ex freight, they haul things on pallets.

26. Jeeze, for enough $$$ I'd rip the manual trans out of my '50 Chevy. I know first and reverse are good, I drove the thing around the yard with it. For the six hours or so drive you could pick it up in person.

Everything else I know of is buried under the snow right now...

27. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a company I used for a ford-omatic trans from Houston TX to Chicago suburb, 4 days and $200, it was strapped to a pallet and delivered to my front door, I also used them to move a motor tans combo to California same deal strapped to a pallet from my front door in Chicago area to Cali $250. not sure how they figure the pricing.
    The straps I used were motorcycle hold down straps I got at Walmart and used screws through flat washer into the heavy hard wood in the pallet. No damage either time.
    "EngineShipping.com" <[email protected]>

28. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Shipped 3 packard transmissions ,,last one was about. $34 Post office,,where your sending to and from makes ALOT of difference,,Shipped a Lasalle to Canada ups $90

VW to Texa $45 Greyhound,,go greyhound spend 15 on a large tupperware tub ,,pack trans good duct tape lid...and send it on its way

also HOW you pack makes all teh difference,,packing peanuts are no good in this case

29. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I just bought a super T10 and it was shipped from New Jersey UPS. It was shipped in a really nicely built crate and secured very well inside. It arrived with no problems and I think cost $80 to ship.