Register now to get rid of these ads!

Life question from a teen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Chimpo, Feb 18, 2010.

1. User Name:

User Name:
    from Texas

Johnny,
    Like many have said, get a degree. No one can take your education from you. Mechanical and Civil Engineering are very similar. The first two years of school are essentially the same for both, math and sciences. There are still lots of similarities in the core curriculum as well.

In the real world there are some practical differences between Mechanical and Civil Engineering. Mechanical Engineers design dynamic systems like engines, gearboxes and in military applications missiles and other weapons systems. Civil Engineers design static systems like roads, bridges and building structures which in military terms are called targets.

The key to an education is sticking your ass in the chair and give your undivided attention to the books. Read, study and solve problems then repeat. Engineering school isn't easy but no worthwhile endeavor is easy. Like others have written, if you have both hands on skills and an engineering degree you will be very valuable.

2. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

i went to school for machine tool and die 15yrs ago money was good back then ..its kinda no-wheres-ville now...started school for mech.engineering ...the math was over my head then or probably just didnt want it bad enough...i went to school at mankato state in minnesota , who also have a automotive engineering program one of only a few in the states i believe.... if i would have went for that it might have held my intrest longer...

between hotrod fabrication and race car fab ....go the race car route and learn sheetmetal skills a good race car fabricator with a good eye can always build hot rods ....but i wouldnt trust too many hot rod guys building 7sec race cars or a baja race truck..

the secret is to have many universal skills that translate into other fields ...say you are an excellent welder but no work building race cars.....find out someone is hiring pipe fitters...take a few tests join a union now your a pipe fitter ...it may not be what you want to do but it would get you by until you find something else ...

find out what you like and become the best you can there is always work for someone who is excellent at what they do ...

3. indyjps

indyjps

IF you do join the Air Force Reserves you can pretty much count on being actived so take that into consideration. I was Nat Guard so Im not bashing.

What are your thoughts on Germany would you consider going to school there, they are considered some of the best craftsmen/engineers.

I would suggest going to school somewhere with a decent climate, sounds like you can go about anywhere, enjoy your time, Minnesota is damn cold

Consider if you love cars enough to get do it all day, then come home and do it some more, then consider that it takes a long time to get up to a pay rate that will allow you to build a car like you want and not have $ so tight.

Im a mechanical engineer and love the work, but I also love working at home on cars, I dont want to come home and continue doing engr work, building cars for me is relaxation, its not work so my perspective may be different.

I have a lot of friends who did become certified mechanics, most are so tied up doing side work to make $ to build a car they dont have time to build one, or so burnt out on it by the end of the day they just want to get away from it.

if your goal is to become a master fabricator I would gear your training towards that, much of the experience you gain may not be on cars initially, most shops who hire a fabricator expect you to have fabrication experience before you walk in so get certifed as a welder in all areas you can. Consider body shops, you'll need to know how to paint or at least prep a car for paint. One of the car magazines just did an article on how to break into the field, they suggested going to work for an off road racing team or a less popular motorsport to get in the door and gain experience to allow you to approach professional shops or major race teams.

4. Frankie Von Dell

Frankie Von Dell

I would also advise looking into mcpherson college...i'm going to be attending there in august. I toured the campus and the facilities are top notch. In addition to that, the advisors go above and beyond to help you figure out if the school is the right choice for you. Nobody is pushy...I shopped around several schools and every experience I had the recruiter was either rude or pushy or a combination of the two. My advisor said on the first day "we wouldn't be here if it weren't for the students" and thats the attitude that all the administrators seem to have thus far...Not to mention its the only school that offers a bachelors degree.

5. There is an old adage about the shoemaker's children going barefoot.

The only occupation I know of that doesn't mind working on the same stuff at home as he does at work is a gynocologist.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  6. bill wallace

bill wallace

I hesitate to recomend this but after spending almost 50 years as a aircraft & powerplant mechanic I cant imagine a better life for someone interested in mechanics. The profession is not what it once was as far as pay & jobs but the training has all the elements that any mechanical endevor needs. There are several schools that offer a 2year program with an associates at the end plus your passing the FAA certification tests. This period of your life is the time to dedicate to learning a skill set that will very possibly carry you thru the rest of your life. Depending on where you work in aviation any thing that applies to automobiles is a skill used. Electronics,welding, sheetmetal, hydraulics, & aerodynamics all are part & parssel of this work. All of the racing teams here in Indianapolis have mechanics & fabricators that started out as a&p mechanics. Whatever you decide to do best of luck.

7. Rain_man

Rain_man

hey i went to wyo-tech and had all big dreams about getting out of school and having any job i wanted but it wasent so they make you think that they are giving you all the info you will ever need to do what you want but it is relly just gitting your foot in the door. i had my foot in the door i had a few years working in a local shop but being young (sometimes not very smart) i thought hey im making decent money if i go to school ill be able to make twice as much NOT THE CASE. im not saying to not go to school im just saying to try getting a job working in a shop see if it is even somthing you can see your self doing for the next 30-40 years.maybe it will help save you some money in the long run.keep in mind the cost off school compared to the pay difference with or without. your young with welding and good work ethic alot off guys will be willing to take a chance on ya. i personally know a few shop owners that would rather teach you as you go then have to re teach you after school
    good luck with what ever you choose

8. chevyshack

chevyshack

Hey! I used to live in Germany. My dad was in the ARMY. Theres a crap load of car shows that go on in the warmer months. We lived in Stuttgart the last time but that was back in '91. I remember a huge car museum i went to there on a school trip. Im thinking it was called henry ford museum but not sure. It was awsome.

9. garth slater

garth slater
    from Melbourne

I work one day a week at a hot rod shop. I do not ask for any more than trainee wages. I work a second job and do a LOT of hours. no matter how bad my week is that one day just working doing something I love is very fulfilling. This may be something worth considering. Is the AF reserve job flexible? if so just one day a week learning and working with hot rods can be awesome.

ASK at different shops and somebody may be willing to commit to give you work part time. keep one job for the money one for the joy.

10. adamabomb76

adamabomb76
    from York, Pa

I'd say you should maintain your love for working on and customizing old cars, but look towards the practical aspects of the the core trades surrounding the industry.

I've met, and know people that thought they could "school" their way into an established custom shop. They got in one or two as an independant contractor, lost money, and where back out on the street(or doing production welding at lawn furniture factories).

Custom cars have to be done because you love them first. People have to want what you are doing to be a saleable customizer. Strive to be the best at what ever you do w/o fear of opinions. Just my worthless 2 cents.

I think you'll be great.

11. chevyshack

chevyshack

The sinsheim auto museum. Check it out if you can. Its awsome.

12. JAWS

JAWS

I am impressed that a young man your age is mature enough to ask this question, let alone take the advice.

From an instructors perspective, it really doesn't matter where you take an automotive technology program, for the most part anyway. The education is not like what you are used to in a mandatory school setting like K-12th grade. You are solely responsible for your education. The instructor, material, equipment are all tools/resources that you must use.

That being said, if you know you would not want to work on your own projects after a day of working on other peoples problem children, then half the battle is won. Don't go into that field. Some of the best advise or instruction an instructor can give is to help the student learn two things.
    1. They are not dumb.
    2. This is or isn't the field they want to be in.

I hate to say it, but really good mechanics don't make alot of money. The guys who can take stuff apart and put it back together fast, do. But they really cant tell you why the thing they took apart works the way it does.

Physics, pay attention in those classes. Get a degree and not just a basic level, go for the whole enchilada. Then you will have the extra scratch to play with your toys at your leisure.

13. ronniemckinney

ronniemckinney
    from Alabama

There has been some great info in the posts above. If you are thinking of going into the military, definitely get your four year degree. I'm not sure if it is the same with the Air Force as it is with the Army, although I would imagine it is. If you do ROTC while in school, you will graduate as a second lieutenant and earn a minimum of $52,000 per year whether you are an engineer, environmental scientist, clininal lab technician, etc. Also, Uncle Sam will pick up your tuition, housing, books, and even a monthly stipend. As someone said earlier, since your dad is still active duty, you should be eligible for money through his post-9/11 GI Bill also.

If you want to know more about different engineering degrees and what they do, check out this website... http://www.eng.auburn.edu/ I'm pretty partial to this engineering school but that's because Auburn pays my paycheck. I'm the Director of University Recruitment at their Montgomery campus so if you have any questions you want answered privately about making college decisions, drop me a private message or an e-mail at [email protected].

14. I just had the same chat with the elder son of one of my biker bro's so-to-be-ex-girlfriend (he won't make a commitment, what do you expect?). He's just finished the NZ equivalent to H.S. and couldn't decide if she should take a year off before college and try to break into freelance automotive journalism or go straight to school. After a few hours of discussing the pros and cons of his choices, I asked him, "What's the worst thing that could happen with each of your options?" In the end, he's opted to do an architecture degree and develop his chops as a writer.

His thinking is that he'll have a formal skill to fall back on, but wants to continue to follow his passion for creative arts. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Hope that helps. Look forward to the pics of the Hanomag. Verkool ihr auto ist.

15. von Dyck

von Dyck

Much of the previous is excellent advice. Once you get yourself established in a good career, get yourself into a modest house with at least a 1000 square foot shop and pay down the mortgage ASAP. Begin planning your retirement years early in life, and start accumulating tools and equipment (auctions, estate sales, hand-me-downs [ John Glover still uses some of his father's sheet metal tools from 80+ years ago], home made tools for special applications, etc. etc.) Although your career path will go in a certain direction, being in the Reserves yet another, your car hobby will open up the creativity side of you. You develop into an interesting, multi-facetted individual.
    Give yourself time to mature physically, mentally, spiritually. If marriage is in your plans, wait until you've got your life rolling along the way you want it. And wait for the woman who has both feet on the ground with a similar temperament as yours, with similar sensibilities.
    There is a whole world of education out there in books, DVDs, manuals (service and instructional), night classes, tech school short courses, weekend tech seminars, and older guys who have actually "walked the walk" and not just "talked the talk". Consider all education as tuition - Learning anything worthwhile costs time and money. And so, be aware of where your time and money is spent.
    One thing I learned when building my first hot rod (this is also happening with you) is that it generates many problems that require solving which quite naturally generates intelligent questions that need to be asked and then answered. What is unique about this process is that the answer WILL BE APPARENT THE INSTANT YOU HEAR IT! You then establish a knowledge base upon which to build. Once you understand this process, you become like a dry sponge - you want to become saturated.
    All the best in your quest.

16. JAWS

JAWS

Well said.

17. I've been working in the machine shop business for over 25 years now and started working in auto shops at 18, when I went to technical school I worked for a British Sports Car shop in the morning before class. The main thing my boss liked about me (I screwed up a lot) was that I was there every morning on time. I also got a certificate of Perfect Attendance when I graduated from school.

The point I'm trying to make, and you asked about, is show up every day and on time. That is most important! I have customers all the time say how hard it is to find a good employee that will just show up. I have kids from the local High School come for work expieriance, they are good for about a week and then slack off. Knowing your trade is a plus but being on time and enthusiastic about your work will go a long way.

18. Ditto! Very well said!

19. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

Hey Johny chimpo

Im actually a sophomore at Worcester Polytechnic Institute Right now for mechanical engineering. I was in your SAME position as a senior in high school. Didnt know what I wanted to do as long as it dealt with hot rods and customs. I was top of my class in my high school automotive class went to competitions etc. But I thought long and hard about which route i was going to go in.

The most important thing is job placement. The thing ive come to realize is that you can always build hotrods OR you can always start your own hot rod shop.

At a full blown engineering college like WPI, Im still tig welding, mig welding, machining, building little SAE formula cars and its pretty cool. And once I get out Ill have a degree. A degree allows you to fall back on it at any time.

Dont get me wrong, Ive wanted to skip out on engineering and go somewhere like mcpherson or northwestern Ohio for hotrods because thats where my heart is. But Im still thinking about going to a hotrod school afterwards if I feel I need to. Ive been building my 57 chevy since I was 12 and now im beginning to build a 37 chevy custom so believe me I sit around all day thinking about how bad I want to finish them and go on to something else. But coming from a kid who's been there and is going through it. Id honestly consider engineering. I Apply things I learn everyday to hotrodding (or at least try to)

below Im including a picture of my 37, 57, the SAE car and the cad model theres another pic of my 57 as my avatar

But if you have any questions feel free to toss me a P.M.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  20. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

You have already done the most important step.Always ask questions until you die.You are never to old to learn and you will have to answer the same question yourself (what should I do?) whether you asked advice from others or did not because of pride or any other reason but I would rather decide my own answer after the thoughts of many than to decide with my own limited knowledge.

21. I'd say McPherson in Kansas too because the school has half automotive and half straight education ("liberal arts") available and you decide the mix you want and need in a small city setting without all the big sin city distractions while keeping your costs low while attending and they schedule to meet your needs. BE SURE to talk to someone down there before you make a final decision. Nearby Stellar Restoration shop owner in Windom, KS, has been a teacher there most semesters and is a good guy if you need any further personal comment.

22. OLLIN

OLLIN

Thats what I was thinking too. As long as they dont put you on the front lines! You could try and get a job as a mechanic or welder in the service. Then when you get back, youll have the GI bill to help pay for school and veterens benefits etc. Maybe this way youll be able to ride out these tough economic times. I Dont really know what the job market is like in the midwest, but I have heard its not too promising right now.
    Dont just move to Minnesota because your friends are doing it. This is probably one of those times in your life where you gotta do whats best for you, even if it means leaving your buddies. That is one option.

Other guys on here have suggested learning to be a machinist in germany, and learning to speak german. Those are definitely options worth considering as well.

You seem like a young guy with a lot of passion and talent. Good luck!

23. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

"Never take advice from someone thats more screwed up then you!"

24. I believe post secondary education is free in Germany even to Non Germans. Too bad you couldnt make something work for you. While you say "cant" you must remember people do live there everyday. Some even like it.

25. bdr1

bdr1

+1 I work on the management end of things at a large (ironically German based) parts company. After 15 years or so of working in the automotive industry, it's hard to want to do anything with any of my OWN cars.

That being said, we often have interns from our German office here int he US for the better part of the summers. Make up a catchy resume, send it to the big companies in Germany (Bosch, Behr, Pierburg, Hella, Magnetti Marellli) and get your foot in the door. Most of them have US offices and will bounce you back and forth.

26. I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I am a high school senior from Canada based in Dubai right now because of my dad. The one thing I do which helps is every summer I go back I go to different shops to pick guys brains. I get a hair cut, clean shave, dress nice, and go in and ask the boss for advice. They are usually pretty helpful. You have to be proactive. I am constantly emailing hot rod shops all over the world telling them who I am and I will be looking for work when I am done. Most of them are pretty keen as well. I have had some shops in the States that even phone me to ask me questions.

I was also going to pass on the Hot Rod Institute link but looks like someone already did that. I went to visit UTI and Wyotech in September. I had hated UTI and they have nothing to offer for hot rodders. I sort of enjoyed Wyotech however. But I later found out about HRI and I am planning on going there if they get accredited (I am Canadian). I have had problems with Wyotech because I am accepted and they signed me up for September to start but keep dicking me around and never answer my emails. I get email responces all the time from Kyle at HRI he is trying his best to get me at that school.

I have learned a valuable lesson thought from guys on the HAMB about these tech schools. Don't go to them fro the paper go to them to learn. To many guys will go to a school like Wyotech and think they know it all and thats a lot of the time why people don't hire them. You go to learn not be superior. If you think you already know most of the stuff they will teach you I wouldn't go. The only reason I wan't to go is that I live in a place were I can't get experiece on this shit so I have to learn somewhere.

If you do go back though make sure you clean yourself up and exhibit a positive attitude. Don't walk in wearing your pants down to your ass using profanity and what not. Clean up and stay the f*** away from drugs, alcohol, street racing, smoking, etc. Keep it clean and play it safe.

Also don't think for a minute you can go to a college and think you will make top dollar right away. You need to start off small. The problem with our generation is we have all these kids that graduate and think they will make $50.00 and hour right away. This is not true. Even if you do go to college you will probably need to start by sweeping the floors when you start.

Good luck! Hopefully kids like you and me can continue to carry on the hot rod tradition.

27. I forgot to mention in my essay that I love your car. Looks like a lot of great work. You need to bring this car back with you as a resume. There are a lot of shops who would hire you just based on the fact you build this car by yourself.

28. MMDe
    Why not Loyalist(Belleville)? Excellant automotive program in your own land. Ontario was the first place ever to license Auto mechanics. Set the standard for the rest of the world. Centennial (Warden Ave TO) is another good one. I went to both and taught at Loyalist.
    Don

29. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Lots of good advice here, from several different perspectives. Key points from the best of them:

1. Have goals and go after them.
    2. Hard work and positive attitude are essential in every endeavor.
    3. Learn to color inside the lines while still being creative and imaginative.
    4. Education counts, and the harder it is to get (i.e., a no-kidding math/science/engineering degree), the fewer people have it.
    5. No matter how much it pays, if you hate your job, you need a different one.
    6. Serving America puts you in a special class of individuals. Whether you do one hitch in the Reserves, or spend thirty years on active duty, your posture will improve for the rest of your life.

By the way, your project is very impressive. Keep us updated as it progresses. Oh, and good luck.

30. Never heard of it you got a link?