Register now to get rid of these ads!

'32 Chevy- The OTHER white meat!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C5rider, Oct 23, 2009.

1. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

I'll bet there's not a Hill's Service station there now though! Try calling that number! :D

2. Man, what a great starting point that car is. Very nice condition. Have fun and keep us updated.

3. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Will do. I'm gathering up a list of things that I want to look for at the Turkey Rod Run. Items like a right hand taillight for these cars is more scarce than hen's teeth! I'm thinking of either going with a set of 37 Ford taillights mated to a set of A stand offs or, going with a chrome look of a set of 37 Chevy lights on the A stands (since I can get two of them relatively easily). Any thoughts? The Chevys will give me a classy-er look with the stainless bodies but the Fords would be rather streamlined.

Attached Files:

4. Ghost28

Ghost28

I like the stream lined look. That's what I am going for on my 28 chevy. the style I am using is off of a 38 dodge truck. I also will be using a 37 dodge sedan licence plate light. And turn signals off a 48 chevy truck for back up lights...John

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  5. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

I had a set of old Poncho taillights sitting around and laid one up there thinking maybe they would work but they just looked out of place. I've got a set of A lights on my T and they look good but I don't want to go back there if I dont have to. So far, the Fords have it but, I'd rather not go with the LEDs if I don't have to.

6. 6inarow

6inarow

Keep looking for the 32 lights. Sooner or later you will find them reasonable. that car is so nice, it deserves them

7. We got a set of 37's on the 30', and also on the 34'. (not LED)They work really nice, and look great also. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. www.fillingstation.com ,will have 32 Chev taillights, and a lot of other bits and pieces.

9. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

Does anyone make steel floor panels for the 32 and 33 coupes??

10. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

I'll have to stop by and check them out! Thanks!

11. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Good news, this week I got a new job, so I was not forced to sell my '31 Chevy P/U. Worked on it abit tonight, I'm upgrading the tie rod ends to modern ones.
    Does anybody now what size reamer I need to buy to make these rod ends work with the stock tie rod?

12. 6inarow

6inarow

Bump this up - any more progress to report C5Rider?

13. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Thanks for the bump!

I picked up a set of headlights for the 32, not Chevy though. I did some checking and for the cost that I got this set for, I couldn't turn them down. I repainted the mounts and they're ready to go on but, I'm waiting to get the fenders on more securely before I do that. The Turkey Rod Run was good in that I found several little things that I had been looking for like the last beauty ring for the wheel and the tail lights. I re-did one of the headlights to halogen and installed the turn signal behind the glass lens with a kit that I got at the Rod Run. I've yet to do the other side. It looks pretty good.

I've been splitting my time between the 32 and my early Christmas present. I'll include a pic of that. I needed a new bike and I've wanted to do this for quite a while. When the bearings fell out of the pedal crank on my old one, it started a chain reaction that resulted in this bike. Now that I'm pretty well done with it, I'm going to get started in installing that 350 and 700r4.

Attached Files:

14. 50bomb

50bomb
    from Lodi CA

i've been working on a 32 5 window i got in ripped apart pieces for $200. its coming right along and should be rolling and steering in a few weeks!!

Attached Files:

15. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Shweet!

Keep us informed 50!

Looks like a blast!

16. mink

mink
    from CT

7 degree tapered reamer is needed you can buy them for $70 email me for the name of the company. I beleive it was a ford tierod I had to use.
    The old tie rod "knob" was tricky to remove.

I still got to change over other tierods but im not tackling till it gets closer to being road worthy.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=703557&d=1247200553

17. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

I'm doin a 33 5 window. Is there much dif in 32's and 33's? Someone out there knows... Installing an SBC and 700R4 soon. The only crossmember I have inbetween the front and rear is for the tranny.

18. R33CHEBY

R33CHEBY

That's a pretty sweet bow-tie.

19. R33CHEBY

R33CHEBY

Very different. I don't think they used any of the same parts. Maybe some nuts and bolts. '33 cars were way different, the 33 trucks were very similar to the 32 cars. Box up the frame and use one of the engine mounts that spans the rails. more suport. The frames twist just from jacking up one side, imagine the torque of a sbc. Pretzel anyone?

20. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

i saved the second cross member, trans mount, and used it to mount 350TH. building a mount for the front of cross member it was in exact position to mount engine (327) close to firewall but give clearance to service dist. you can see vehicle at my profile. good luck, larry woods

21. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

looks sweet Larry! I'll be chunkin on my 32 pretty quickly. Hope mine fits okay.

22. Thats a pretty neat old Chevy you got. Looks like a lot of fun and it's cool how your kids are helping you out. I am also a fan of your new bike.

23. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Thanks Mitchell. They've been really a blast to work with. Funny story. My 9 year old was helping put the rearend under it. I asked him if he was turning the nut on the U-bolts the right way. He replied, "Lefty loosy, righty tighty!" I asked him where he heard that and he said, "Dad, where have YOU been?!" I laughed. My kids are about the only ones in their class that can name about every car in the parking lot, no matter WHAT decade! Does a dad proud!

24. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Just an update. I bought an '89 Chevy van for $100 and drove it home. I pulled the TBI equipped 350 and 700R4 auto trans to put in the 32. Because it was from a van, the alternator and the A/C pump are in close to the engine. I think that everything will fit under the hood of the 32 pretty well. We'll be trial fitting it soon. I pulled the engine, trans, master cylinder, steering column, fuel lines back to the tank (they were a straight shot and had the fittings for the filter and everything), the complete wiring harness, the pedal assembly and the computer for the TBI system. All for $100! Then, I cut out the catalytic converter and sold that for $70 and the rest of the van is going to the scrap yard for $9 a hundred. I think I got my money's worth! :eek:

Who knows, when it's all said and done, it might be somewhat like they PAID me to take all that stuff! Whatever I get out of it, I'm putting toward a new radiator. There's no reason to scrimp on the cooling stuff!

25. scooterp0019

scooterp0019
    from tennessee

glad to see all the chevys. i'm not very good with putting pic on here, i have some pic on a web site of a 29 2 door sedan that i replaced the body wood with metal. it looks just like the wood that came out. we will be adding more pic soon of a 33 5 window coupe master an a 32 3 window coupe. check it out www.proffittscustoms.com keep all the chevys coming i love seeing them an all the good work at is being done out thier.

26. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Save some big sheet metal pieces too! Roof, side panels. I've wished I saved weird things like window rollers too. Think it over for a few days before you junk that thing, make sure you get everything you need - light bulbs? seat belts? seat bolts? You get the idea.

27. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

That is sooooo true Built! I've scrounged so much stuff off of this vehicle it's not funny. Everything from some bulbs, lines, harnesses, heck, I even cut up some of the unnecessary harnesses for just some of the ends! It's definitely been a good buy so far and, tomorrow, it'sa "Goodbye!"

28. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Well, the best laid plans....

We loaded up the van on my brother's trailer. He was nice enough to offer to haul it over to the scrapper. We get there and unload the van in the yard. The guy looks at my title and says, "Nope! Load it back up!"

Turns out that my neighbor never got the title in his name and neither did the guy HE bought it from. The problem was, that someone signed in the purchaser's line and that of course, wasn't me. they didn't want to touch it with a 50 foot pole. Interesting and some good info for you guys. If they had known me, it might have made a difference but, with a bunch of folks stealing, stripping and scrapping cars, I guess they're not taking any chances. No matter what, I got $70 dollars back on a $100 van AND the engine,trans, computer, wiring harness, master cylinder, pedals and a bunch of other stuff for basically $30. Can't complain, but it would have been nice to get some extra to put toward the radiator. They're kinda pricey.

29. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Well, no fear of being an over-achiever here but, I made it back out to work on the 32 a little more. Got the engine in and did a little bit of wiring (using the original chevy van harness) and it's starting to come together. Everything fits pretty well under the hood but it's getting a little tight around the brake master cylinder. I'll be figuring that one out soon. Original crossmember works great for the 700r4 and I'll try and keep it in place and fab up a mount between the two. Here's some pix of the progress.

I think that small block puts the Fat Man fabrication suspension right where it needs to be. I want to drop the back end down about 4-5 inches but that'll have to wait. The interior and everything is pretty much in the car so I'm pretty sure that we'll have to do something when the time comes. I'm planning on getting it running and driving it like this to shake down all the little trouble areas first. Then we'll worry about making it pretty.

Attached Files:

30. C5rider

C5rider
    from FLA

Took a little longer than expected, but, I finally got the rear end dropped down. I only took it 3 inches and I think that it sits pretty good. I'm liking the stance and I think it'll clear everything and, still give it a pretty good ride. I can't wait to get this car on the road.

I see some of the guys here building cars in like 6 months. That amazes me. I'm more on the 5 year plan. I might have to go to a smaller front tire. It's got 215s on it right now with 235s on the rear. IF they rub, I'll swap em out. Now on to the brakes and steering!

Attached Files: