Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway Motors Driveshaft?...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Has anyone used one of Speedy Bills $90 driveshafts? They're suppose to be balanced, and ready to bolt in. Pro's/Con's?. Thanks, guys...

2. i've seen them in their catalog , but haven't tried one. they are available in several different lengths...if they have the correct length it seams like a good deal if you don't have a driveshaft shop close to you

3. I have used this unit to good succcess........You have your choice of front yokes and rear u-joints

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Driveline Shop, Springfield MO. Ask for Carl.

5. 19-c

19-c

I used one and it works like a dream. just wouldn't go drag racing with it though.

6. twjoyce

twjoyce

OVC Industries (Victory Performance) 515-282-9996 Dennis Mothershed. Steel, aluminum, carbon fibre, etc. driveshafts made to order. Good guy, good prices. Also has other driveline stuff; yokes, u-joints, flyweels, muncie 4-speed parts, etc.

7. 8-Track

8-Track

Dont do it !!!

8. 8-TRACK - Don't do What?...

9. Used NASCAR driveshafts are on Ebay very reasonably all the time. Stout units!

10. KERRY - Now THERE'S an idea...

11. There are issues with the early Ford driveshafts used with torque tubes Speedway has been selling. The material is only .060 and has shown a tendency to twist out of shape. I believe these are coming from Winters in York, PA.
    I know of one that was bent right out of the box, and got worse when driven with a mild flathead in front of it.

12. B Blue

B Blue

I have one. No issues. At $105 including shipping, it beats the hell out of cobbling up some junkyard stuff. It is very heavy, considering the diameter. So I suppose it will take the gaff, but I don't know.

Bill

13. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I was considering getting one, but I remember this issue. I'm now thinking of cutting my own. I have a few lying around already anyway.

14. I say cut up old stuff and make your own. It's not hard to do but you will want to take it somewhere to be balanced. Then again this opinion might be because I have issues with the 1-800-build my rod mentality.

I've built a few from old stuff. One of them survived me breaking a u-joint because of slicks and power. The part I modified was fine but it was pretty dinged up from hitting the drive shaft loop.

15. Rich this is not a driveshaft for the torq-tube..This is open drive type driveshaft....

16. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

But it may reflect the quality of some other similar components they carry.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hard to say. Speedway does not per se 'make' anything. They compel others to make stuff for them. No way of knowing if anything comes from the same supplier as anything else.

18. 8-Track

8-Track

Dont buy from speedway !

19. Mopar'd

Mopar'd

8-track,,,,, i would like to know why you say "don't buy from speedway". As most things , it's buyer be ware. But i have had pretty good luck with them as a vendor. Let us know why you don;t like them ,,,,i would like to see some substance behind the comment

20. jcs64

jcs64

Ive been running one for a couple years now (shortly after they hit the catalog's).
    '31 A P/U, fairly Hot 327 sbc, 5 spd manual (shifted HARD at around 6500rpm), '48 pontiac rear w/ pegleg 4.11's.

$100 bucks well spent if you ask me

jeff

21. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What justifies your advice? Actual bad experiences, hearsay or "philosophy" of some sort.

Reason I ask, I have bought quite a bit of Speedway stuff and have been pretty satisfied. And that's saying something as I am fairly particular.

Seems there is an awful lot of "anti-Speedway" posts on this forum and I just don't understand the ill will.

Ray

22. Chopped26

Chopped26

Have you seen MADE IN AMERICA on any thing you bought from them that says speedway in the last 10 years ? Pay a little more and Support a local drive line shop

23. 8-Track

8-Track

Not looking to rehash but you asked. you can go
    to this thread and read up. speedway should not be rewarded for the busines practices that they use. just my 2 cents

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431072

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431410&highlight=fenton

24. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, I read those posts when they were current...........long on emotional reaction and speculation and short on facts and circumstances.........whether it be praise or criticism, it ought to be based on facts.

It's a (more or less) free country...........buy what ever and where ever you want....I also generally prefer to buy American made parts........just getting harder and harder to do..........

Ray

25. Okay, Speedway's bad, BAD Speedway!!!

Now I gotta get off here and go to Wal-Mart, then Harbor Freight.

26. A-BOMB #1

A-BOMB #1

Sounds like Speedway is the Walmart of hot rod parts. Bad business practices, but low prices. I never shop at Walmart.

27. Bad Rat Nailhead

Bad Rat Nailhead

just twisted mine up last night not sure if it is good enough for my car. it broke in the middle and was just twisted up. guess i will try another one they said send it back so we will see.:confused:

28. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

my friend twisted one , too!
    BAD Tube they use.....!

29. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I have had two made by inland truck. next day service and locations all over the US. $200 but you get a WARRANTY!