Register now to get rid of these ads!

best bench seat for a 49-54 chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hell-boy, Feb 18, 2010.

1. hell-boy

hell-boy
    from indiana

what have some people used. my car has a set of low back buckets.. not really feeling that. i have an s10 bench but...i dunno. its kinda small. any better sources for a seat?

2. smichaels

smichaels

Early 60's Impala bench seat in a 54 that I used to have. Worked well and was cheap to get one.

3. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

mid 70's nova split bench in mine made seat bracket for height. I had a stupid truck seat in it before but when people got in both front seat passangers would have to get out .. lol...

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I have an original split back bench frame from a 53 Coupe in the classifieds. That would work.

5. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

i think the 70-80's C10 benches work.

6. 1bdsinner

1bdsinner
    from phoenix

You all did notice he put car right?

7. chop50chevy

chop50chevy
    from upstate ny

Can't go wrong with what came with the car. Stock bench seats are comfortable and fit the car well. A good upholsterer can contour the seat with foam before covering it if you want.

I am going to run my stock bench in my '50. Since I chopped it 4 inches, the seat was too high. so, I sectioned the risers about 2 3/4 inches. I had to modify the floor in a few places - flatten out the tunnel, and make pockets for the runners at the rear. I also had to tweak the adjuster linkage that runs from side to side, I think I actually reversed it for clearance. Lastly, I had to trim the side valence to each seat. If you take your time and think it through, it isn't a bad project. Sorry, no pics right now.

PM me if you want me to take pictures of what I did to my seat. I would need some time to take the seat out. I may do it anyways and post here when I have time, but it may be a while.

Andy

8. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

A Coupe is a car.

9. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Try to find 49 to 54 chevy front seat.

Attached Files:

10. Franz Hyland

Franz Hyland

I used the original front seat in my 54

11. 51hrdtp

51hrdtp

Just went from S-10 buckets that came with the car when i bought it to the original seat. I hated the buckets and a friend found the stock seat with good springs for 50 bills. The seat does need to be recovered, but nothing fits like the original.

12. hell-boy

hell-boy
    from indiana

if i had a stock seat, i would use it. the upholstery is all recovered so redoing a stock seat wouldnt be a big deal to me...if i had one.. just looking for other options until i come across one.

13. TERPU

TERPU

Stock split bench seat if you ever want Momma to sit close to you at the drive in.

Tim

14. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

I used a mid 80's Dodge Dakota bench in my 49. Fit like a glove.

15. Mine has an early 80's split bench from a cadi in it.
    Nice part is they are a bit thinner so I fit with the chop.

16. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

HELL-BOY...YEA definatly 1 from a 49-54 chevrolet, and i'am an excelent driver...RAYMOND.

17. layedout49

layedout49

I believe a 65 el camino bench would work. I had measured it and its only about an in narrower and an inch lower than a stock seat

18. kpcnov

kpcnov

i like this thread, i gotta a 52 chevy coupe i need seats for and am looking for ideas

19. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

We have a pulled out Mini van seat, can't remember if it was a second or third row.
    Works GREAT! It is in a Sedan Delivery,48 Chevy. Did some mods on the mounting and like it way better than the 2 different sets of buckets we tried.
    Just measured the width and depth of the area and bought one from a custom shop that was tearing them out , found it on Craigslist!

20. jrlemke

jrlemke

I have a 74 Coupe de Ville bench in my 52 2dr Power and all. JRL