Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Daily Driver

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 17, 2010.

1. awesome, I look forward to updates. I too wish to drive an early ford as my daily.

2. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome daily driver, it's amazing to see what a set of blackwall tires can do to a car!!

3. 29 de soto

29 de soto

that thing looks sinister!

4. plumfat40

plumfat40
    from colorado

Wow love it love it, Heres a few pic of the 40 I am workin over, 40k miles parked since 56...... Just gonna lower it get it running and drive it.. hopefully the columbia works

Attached Files:

5. Is it sick that I thought of a set of tire chains for the Model A last night?

6. Van Dutch

Van Dutch

7. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Good read, Ryan. Like I said last night, I really like the new black wheels/tires and the stance is killer! The commitment to drive an old car daily seems to add some simplicity to busy, 'modern' life, doesn't it? That is something that I really like about driving old cars often.

Also, I too, am envious of those who can do it nearly year-round. This winter has been one of the worst in many years for much of the U.S. In past winters, there are usually days when the roads are dry and I could drive whatever old car I had at the time.... not this year, though! That salt will kill an old car in no time.

Soon enough (I hope!) this snow will be gone and I can get back to driving an old Ford daily again...

Malcolm

8. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

That sedan was one of my favorites from my only Round Up, attended 2 years ago. Nice ride, and nice "life style" choice, bro! :D

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

No.....:D

A little OT, but it wasn't that long ago that I was chaining up my '68 R/T Charger to go snowboarding....you can fit all yer freinds boards and gear in the trunk....haha..

10. I get what you're saying. I love my old Chevy, it's a part of me and my family I will never get rid of.. but when my dad put it together 30 years ago, he wanted it to be as comfortable as a late model, power everything, A/C etc.. So, the car misses some of that 'old car magic' of which you speak. I have been toying with the idea of re-doing dad's car or starting a new project. This post makes me want to find a survivor and do similar things...

Question: do you really have to change unfiltered oil every 500 miles?

11. wvenfield

wvenfield

I drove my 54 Chevy daily for two years. Being stuck inside a building for 12 hours was always easier knowing what was outside in the parking lot.

The 54 was a tue solid survivor and I started to feel bad for the way the winters were starting to take a toll on it. I sold the 54 and bought a 56 Pontiac and a 92 S-10 to drive in the bad weather.

The truck was also always handy....... It was just sort of non driving though. There was an off topic 70's ride for sale awhile back. Basic car. Straight 6 3 speed on the floor. Only power option is steering.

I love driving it in the bad weather. Just as well, my son ran the S-10 over a hill the last snowstorm we had. LOL

The Pontiac will soon be back out in the parking lot though.

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

I changed it every 1000 miles on my 54 Chevy. That was still nearly every 4-6 weeks.

13. Captain Carson

Captain Carson
    from N.Z

The black on black combo looks evil. Very cool.

14. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw a picture of the sedan on Yahoo before you said anything about it here........congrats on living the life !

15. sodas38

sodas38

Ahhh see a sedan can be cool.

16. Deadbird

Deadbird

Ryan, this is a really cool read. The Sedan is killer. You definitely made the right move there. The wagon was cool, but the 39 sure does it for me. Sounds like your kids are diggin' it too. By the way, all black really makes it yours, if ya ask me. :rolleyes:

I got the bug for an old daily driver last summer. Jesse and I ran down to Texas and brought back Fidgiter's old C10. I drove it every day on a 60 mile round trip to work and back until the 3-speed gave up. Had every intention of driving it through the winter after the 5-speed went in. Sadly, like Malcom, we've been buried in salt and snow since mid December. I just can't bring myself to punish the old guy like that. Especially since it's been a southern vehicle it's whole life and the 5-speed is still, for the most part, untested.

Soon as the weather breaks, I'll be driving it every day again. I work in the middle of campus at U of I. The old truck get's a lot of mixed reviews. Some folks just love it. I probably could have sold it half a dozen times already. The tree huggin' commie freaks that we call faculty just hate it. Makes me laugh! :D

Keep drivin' those old cars. That's what they're made for and it's a bunch of fun. Relaxing too.

Attached Files:

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

The drive from my house to The Jalopy Journal World Headquarters is a peaceful 10 mile jaunt through the small town of Dripping Springs, over a few hills, and down a couple of country roads. It's the kind of drive that poems are written about.

with a commute like that I'm wondering why a person would ever drive a late model to work.

18. OR 5 college girls, me and all our ski gear with chains on my Mustang?!:cool:

19. Great daily drivers Ryan! I have never even thought about any things else to drive every day. My daily is a 60' El Co, much the same as your wagon and my other daily is my 50 Ford Business coupe, complete with three-in-the-tree and dressed flattie. Hell, I even drove my 1949 Studebaker 3/4 truck with a compound low four-speed as a daily for six months. Great to drive, just can't be in a hurry. it can pull a house, just can't pass one.

20. Oh, and the white-walls are my choice for a daily. Just a little Simple Green and a green Scotch-brite and all is white!

21. freebird101

freebird101

22. chopz56

chopz56

Really nice car......good for you!Weather in my area just does make it worth it to destroy an old car!Wish i could do it!

23. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

I did drive my lincoln as an only car for about 6 months, but the 116deg heat in was not so fun in the old lincoln. Had to do all of my errands in the morning or late at night!

Great write up as usual Ryan!

24. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Great post.....Love the new sedan...

25. That's a cool story, I'd love to drive an old car to work but the salt on the roads around here kills em. The tudor sedan is just beautiful, love the black on black wheels better than red w/ ww. Sinister!

26. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

That is awesome!!!

I drive an old truck everyday in snowstorms and all and will never drive a car newer car again.

27. Same here!

I got sucked into keeping up with the "jonezez" until I got the first and only $3000 repair estimate for my euro trash sedan (apparently I bought above my pay grade) and went back to my 70 chev c-10.

A budget build Ford jail bar pickup is in the works, my 52 hardtop is next and I don't plan on needing new ever again.

28. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I can relate ..... my "new" cars are a 1990 suburban & 87 crewcab dually ..... as soon as my 46 is complete the subby is outta hear!

Nice story.

Thanks.

PACO

29. grapp

grapp

Ryan, Your car looks fantastic and even better with the blackwalls and rims!

30. sololobo

sololobo

Strange how long it takes sometimes for us to have the "real" important parts of life jump up and grab us! Congrat's! That original interior is not only the hippest, but gives that great smell and touch that is lost in new interiors. Thanx for sharing the aventure, I had a great ride along. ~Sololobo~

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010