Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone put buick drums on wide 5 hubs??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shaggy, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Specificly ford wide 5 hubs, i've seen it done with aftermarket sprint car hubs i even have a pair, but i want something with smaller bearings for the front, and all the sprint car stuff is for 3/4 ton rear axle bearings

2. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

have you tried matching up the drums you have with the passenger wide fives?? might work.....

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I have one set of aftermarket Quickchange wide 5 hubs with buick drums mounted to them, pretty much the whole center of the buicks is cut out, but in the center where the bearings are is WAY to massive to be run on the front(Think 3/4 ton truck), they did on some dirt cars, i even have the modified spindles to do it, but i'm doing a street T roadster

I'm looking at some wide 5 drums i have at home and i dont see any reason i cant press the studs out and press buick drums from the outside other than it may take too much machining to get it to seat flat and weaken one or the other

I was kinda hoping someone would come on here and say they used to do it for dirt cars back in the '60s

4. 26T

26T
    from Denver

On the thread "Wide Five Help. Adapting front and rear." on page 2 at the very bottom there is a picture of what I think you are talking about.

5. toxictom

toxictom

i think, i found these pictures here on the hamb....maybe it helps...

Attached Files:

• 6d_1.jpg
      6d_1.jpg
      File size:
      18.2 KB
      Views:
    • 11_1.jpg
      11_1.jpg
      File size:
      19.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

They were used on dirt trackers,,have a pair of old ones converted to wide 5 ,,there are also some that are more "covers than actual working brakes

7. 26T

26T
    from Denver

Those are the same ones as in the thread I posted. I have the dirt track ones on mine. Here's a crappy cell pic.

Attached Files:

8. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Thats it!!

And 26T arent those 3/4 ton style franklands?? I have a pair with a cracked lining at home, What is the brake hardware supposed to be for them??

9. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

they may be the later buick drums with more fins. That's what I put on my 32.

10. Mart

Mart

Never seen that done before - liking it a lot.
    In the pic above - I reckon that skeleton backplate is upside down - or is it supposed to be like that?

11. 26T

26T
    from Denver

Yes they are.The hardware was hard as hell to find. I finally found a set of pads on ebay advertised as NOS frankland drums after trying to adapt several other kinds. I still had to machine the drum to fit. The cylinders are chevy truck. Backing plates are original skeleton plates for racing. Spindles are ford with snouts welded on.

12. 26T

26T
    from Denver

Upside down because of the dropped axle. It means shorter brake lines. I get a lot of shit for upside down plates. I think I'll flip them.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Hmm, the snouts are bolted on on mine, they welded a spacer plate to the spindle to take away the step and bolted right through the backing plate/grease cup. How about springs and such, do you have a better photo?

So they are frankland only shoes?? I tried 51 ford truck and they aint even close, i was going to try '41 truck. I have a bare set of those backing plates i'm thinking of putting on my rear

14. 26T

26T
    from Denver

My rears are bolted. My rear end is weird, it's a banjo with bolt on spindles and full floating axles. I will get some better pics for you. It will be easy to understand. I have some chevy shoes that are close and would fit with some modifications. I'll get the numbers.

15. racemad55

racemad55

Probably at one time took a hit in a race,was common to just cut off the end then just put on the bolt on piece.

16. Thats cool on the wide 5 front drum, I'm running a vintage "CAE" quick change on my 30' chrysler project and it has the buick drums/wide 5 set-up. From what I researched, 1936-46? Ford truck 1, 2 ton axles/hubs/brakes should work? floating hubs/axles the same. I needed a hub for the driver side on mine, went to the local junkyard and had them cut the end off the axle of a 46' truck for the hub and it was the same as what I had on mine. I'm running a 1939 spring in the front, front axle/wide 5's in the front also to keep the wide 5's all around. I think with the buick front & rear finned drums would look way cool!

17. carkiller

carkiller

Franklinds w/wide 5 used buick brake shoes, and spider mounting plates. I have a NOS complete setup for my speedster project. Front uses bolt on /weld on snout. I have NoS shoes for demintion if needed.Cal I need 1 90 fin Franklind drum???

18. 26T

26T
    from Denver

No I built it myself. I'll post pics soon.

19. it's was all common oval track equipment some had screw-on adpters that went over stock ford spindles to use 3/4 ton full floating hubs with a wide 5 bolt pattern which is still use with disc brakes. try winters quick change or your local oval track supplier or bicknell racing products.

20. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

From what I've heard they took drum where the liner was maxed,,remover the liner then fit it over the drum,,those were the homemade fakes ( or the traditional ) way to do it :D