Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever heard of a '54 Chevy with a removable hardtop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smokin' Joe, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

A friend of mine found a '54 Chevy convertible with both a removable hardtop (and the ragtop) in a barn. The guy that owns i said that Chevrolet made 30 of them.

Has anybody else ever heard of that?

The car has less than 40,000 miles showing on it and it's in great shape, just dis-assembled.

If it is real, it would have to be pretty valuable, huh?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

No, never heard of it. However, I have seen ads in the back of '50s car magazines featuring aftermarket removeable hardtops for convertibles.

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Personally, I've never seen a '54 "Chey"...

R-

4. roddinron

roddinron

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

6. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Two threads, and no pics on either one. The old B.S. meter is pegging out!

7. 46mopar

46mopar

I've seen the car in the first thread. Never did find out if it was GM or Custom. Don't know if its still around.

8. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Let's not be so quick to make a judgement guys, the first man said he was "trespassing" and my friend JUST found out about it, I'm just asking on here and on another "All-Chevy" site if there's any validity to it. I've already had some PM's with some encouraging news from some old-timers, so I ain't callin' BS till I know what it's about.

9. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

Here's an answer I jusr recieved from a well-respected "old-timer" from another site, he said:

"First the removable hardtop was not made by Chevrolet. There were a few companies that did make removable hardtops for popular convertibles in the mid '50's. ......but Chevrolet or GM never made any."

Actually, that does sound more credible... there was an aftermarket back then too, of course.<!--POLLS--><!--FILES-->

10. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I have seen a 64 chev Impala like that, I wanted to call bullshit so bad but it was the real deal down to the star pattern on the underside of the top. Wacky

11. bumpybigblok

bumpybigblok
    from Midwest

It is probably an early Corvette.???

12. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

If price is ok, and you like the style, RUN & GET! It seems like none have info on that GM made some, and possible that a garage made it suits better. But if its documented, then value would be higher.....but right value is what you want to pay (or other interests).

13. chevute

chevute

I've read somewhere there was and aftermarket fiberglass top (like the hardtop roof) that was available for the 49-54 Chevy convertibles which just "bolted on" in place of the convertible top. I'll post pics when I get a chance tonight.

It's entirely possible that this top is what is mentioned in the book, and YES, it would be a very rare accessory top.

14. chevute

chevute

Here we go. Add-a-top.

Attached Files:

15. If it looks like the one where the 4 women are .........;)

Attached Files:

16. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

I saw a 1949 Chevrolet convertible with a removeable hard top in a Seattle wrecking yard about 30 years ago. The removable hard top was made from a 1950-52 Bel Air hard top. The car was a convertible with the right frame. It was professional looking and done by a skilled person. It was baby blue. The reason it was in the junk yard was rust in the body like somebody had been driving it on the beach.

17. The removable hard top was a dealer option if I recall the way it was told to me by an old timer.

18. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I'm still calling B.S.! I can believe it's an aftermarket top, but not a factory option. There may have been a few dealers offering it, that had a deal with an aftermarket company.

...But, this is one of those times it would be cool to be proven wrong, if there is Chevrolet documentation to prove it.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Someone posted a article about it being aftermarket. Why are there still people trippin'?:confused:

20. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

That's exactly what I was thinkin'.

Used to be you could ask a serious question, might be dumb sounding to some... but you could get an answer...

OR, if someone didn't have the answer, they kept their thoughts to themselves and didn't try to sound like a jerk. sheesh!