Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Kev, Welcome aboard, Haven't talked to you since I did those two helmets for you a few years ago,Billie Courtwrights on here as RacerBillie C, Freddy's MIA. I'm glad you like the photos of the family race car,....Rich

2. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A.J. working on some "plumbing"

Attached Files:

• p-2.jpg
      p-2.jpg
      File size:
      126 KB
      Views:
    hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  3. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Who is driving the #55?

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A.J. Shepard

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Kevin!! Good to see you on hear! Man, that paint on the 99 Besecker car is REALLY nice!

--------------------------------------

To introduce Kevin to you all, He comes from a long line of open wheel racers, and REALLY gets the traditional side of the sport. Kevin made all us "Traditional guys" smile a few years back when he showed up at the Lawrenceburg Speedway with his new sprint car sporting a clear lexan rock guard, a "B" in the front bumper, a classic scallop paint scheme, and a cool chrome grille in the opening on the hood.

Post some pics for us of it if you don't mind Kevin, don't worry about the year cut off..

J Shaw

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

THANK YOU! That is interesting!

Yes, I got the "B" prefix message to.. Thanks.

J Shaw

7. Offy

Offy

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  8. jimg12

jimg12

Kevin,
    Glad to have you on here. That first picture you put on here I think was taken at Dayton. That is Sonny Ates in the 93 passing on the top, he hit the guard rail in passing but never let off the gas and went on to win. Put some more pictures on here please. And Josh I think they should make all right side panels out of something that you can see through. I took mine off of the Coor's car.
    Jim Graybeal

9. racerbillyc

racerbillyc

hey kevin if you didn't already know rabs is my buddy rich that painted a few helmets for you

10. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

KEVIN, I just went through your FACEBOOK vintage pics.

You better start posting!! There GREAT!

(I even snagged a couple for my own research folders, and to show these fella's) ;)

I LOVE pit shots! and the shot of your old man sittin' on the left rear at ELDORA is killer!

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

A wider angle shot taken seconds apart. Thats J.R. in the #6 and Bob Seelman in his hemi powered IMCA car.

Attached Files:

12. Offy 220

Offy 220

Rootie,
    Do you know what track that photo was taken at? Most photos that I have are with "Herk" and "Parnelli" in the Sterling Plumbing and Fike Plumbing cars.
    Thanks,
    Offy 220

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That's Williams Grove 1961.

14. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

A QUESTION ..

Did Ken Brenn own that car at any time?

In a conversation with Brenn we were talking about his original (blue) "Pusher" Offy midget that was driven by Bill Randall, Mark Donahue & others and not knowing it's current where abouts &/or if it still existed (I know where it's Offy engine is). .. In that comversation he talked about another "yellow" rear engine midget that he had owned (that I was never aware of) and that some woman owned (it in a restored condition) and that it was up for sale. That was late last summer, prior to the Warren, NJ show he's involved in.

I'd mentioned that the only yellow rear engine midget I remembered was Jerry Wahl's "Yellow Jacket". Brenn said .. 'No, that wasn't the car'. .. We went on to talk about other things and never got back to it.

Now I'm curious if he was talking about the rear engined yellow Edmunds midget &/or if he (Ken Brenn) ever owned it???

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

15. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Boy, I sure echo that!!!!!!

I can understand them on dirt and fully agree that they should be made out of Lexan or something that the fans can see through.

I really can't understand them on dedicated asphalt cars.

I'm sure a lot of us here can remember the days .. when running dirt .. many drivers would tape cardboard either under or on top of the right arm of their uniform. :)

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Some more "plumbing" work. This time with Al Keller in the Konstant Hot (water heaters) car at New Breman 1961.

Attached Files:

17. baldtireman

baldtireman

Does anyone know what kind of chassis is under the yellow #7, pictured here at the "Grove". It kind of looks like the old Highway Auto Body#3 from when John Draucker drove it. John S.:confused:

18. baldtireman

baldtireman

Trade it off for a Barnes (in the pan) system. My mid 70's Stapp 4 bar came with one of these, and I later used it on my 410 when I got going fast enough to starve the motor in the turns.(Dont ask how I found out it was starving for oil!!!) John S.:D:eek:

19. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Thanks for the info..was your first clue a lot of white smoke followed by a rather rapid deceleration? :eek: $$ !!

20. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

For Ken Schou,
    I personally dont know if your friend owned this car.
    It was certainly owned by a woman (the widow of a collector who had quite a few offerings, most of which have now been moved along)
    If you PM me I can put you in touch with the new owner who can fill you in on the details as he has the history file with the car
    Cheers Greg

21. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Old Bill,
    In rabs32 thread showing an orange and white #22 spinning at the Grove, is that Joe Tetz in former Cheeseman car that he and his brother Skip owned?

22. Offy 220

Offy 220

Great pic!!

Thanks,
    Offy 220

23. Kevin Besecker

Kevin Besecker

Alright Josh, since you twisted my arm, this is my 2005 sprinter...We wanted to do something a little old school because it was my familys 50th year of racing. Every month we choose a driver that had a special meaning to our family. At the end of the month we made a donation to the national sprint car hall of fame in the name of that driver. The coolest part for me was getting to teach some of the younger racers about the guys who came before us and what they had to endure to become racers.

15_GJ4K2307_JJ4x6print.jpg

1427Besecker.jpg

3481Besecker.jpg

pedersonphotobloomingtonflip.jpg

consolirightsideclearpanel15.jpg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  24. Kevin Besecker

Kevin Besecker

I forgot to mention...the same guy who painted my grandpas cars also painted that one. The lettering on my car was vinyl though. My grandpa had this guy from our home town paint the body, then he called up this guy known as "the Greek" to do the lettering. I am not sure if it is true or not, but grandpa said they would just lock him (the Greek) in the garage with a case of beer. The drunker he got, the better he lettered, scalloped, numbered and pinstriped!! Any of you old timers out there know if this is true!?

25. rustyrail

rustyrail

http://www.hoseheadforums.com/forum.cfm?ThreadID=4763
    A couple of pages of pix from the 50's, mostly from the midwest. In the picture of Bobby Grimm in the black duece, he has just finished getting a rope start at Belleville. From the looks of the rear bumper, it is no wonder.

26. RippinChip

RippinChip

27. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Wynn's #1-Can't help on that one; looks like the Tetz car, but wasn't aware of any Cheesman-Dunseth connection.

28. SteveE

SteveE
    from Ohio

I believe that was the Dunseth car that Larson was killed in. It was built with the spare Cheesman frame. I believe the original cheesman car was destroyed at New Bremen.

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Don Thomas, 1957 modified champion at Balboa Stadium and the 1966 CRA champion in his Thomas/Henry sprint car. In 1967 he pulled up stakes and headed east to run the full USAC sprint series along with fellow CRA alum Bruce Walkup, Mike Mosley and Hal Minyard. Between the Smith # 51 and his own #81 he finished a very impressive 6th in points. The 1968 season wasn't near as successful and he hung up his nomex shortly thereafter.

Attached Files:

30. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

The original was destroyed at new Bremen in 63 or 64 I think. So the car that was restored as sachs' 1958 championship car is the car Larson was killed in?