Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best hot rod State to live in?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixdogs, Feb 15, 2010.

1. THE CREEPER

THE CREEPER

Why not try Florida ( its a sunny place filled with shady people ) Gary

2. 61TBird

61TBird

I've lived here 46 years and have/had no problems.

It all comes down to PERSPECTIVE.

What you are asking is going to give you many different opinions,and we ALL know what those are like.....

3. glassguyOC

glassguyOC
    from O.C.

I have lived here long enough to see my kids grow up and their kids grow up. Dont really remember much bullshit. Traffic is a problem for a few hours on the wrong freeway but I havnt worn a long pair of pants since my brother's wedding in 72.

I doubt anyone here misses you.
    California isnt cheap, isnt easy, isnt for the weak. Personally, I'd say the bullshit gets weeded out pretty fast.

I hear on the news sometimes that people are leaving California by the thousands.... I normally go to bed with a smile on my face on those days. Those people are someone else's problem now.

4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

The best "Hot Rod state".....is a "Hot Rod state of mind".....regardless of where you live.......

5. dmw56

dmw56

Good for you! Just wasn't for me anymore! Maybe I'm just a weak, cheap, piece of bullshit!

6. 61TBird

61TBird

They were the cause of all of our problems :D.

If where you are from is so great,then why did you leave???:eek::rolleyes:

7. Any place you're going to live is going to have its good points and its bad points.
    It depends on what you'll put up with for what you want.
    I guess that goes for women too.

8. Donnda

Donnda

I grew up in So-Cal in the 50's and early 60's The greatest place in the world to grow up in. I went off to college in Utah. Came back to Calif for 12 years and hated it. It's expensive dirty smelly and a few other things. I raised my kids in Utah after going back. I wouldn't suggest that state either. The social community leaves a lot to be desired if you are not a member of the state religon. When we retired we went on the road full time and would end up in Yuma AZ every winter. Fantastic is all I can say about it for the winter but the summers are brutal.. The all around weather is in places like Prescot in the upper elevations. AZ is a friendly place with some of the nicest people I have ever met. Now having said this I must tell you I settled in Montana. I love the change of seasons, no sales tax. inexpensive land, the people and the wildlife (as in animals) We have a long winter but we really love our short summers. So go to AZ don't come to MT. (smile)

Donn

9. SINNER66

SINNER66

So true, for the most of it.

10. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

.... in order....
    1. Hawaii...$$
    2. texas
    3. socal...$$$
    4. Las vegas... wouldn't want to retire there...
    5.AZ...
    (notice how Im not talking east coast here..... )

I have LIVED in 10 states and 5 provinces of Kanadiuh ....

Cold weather???? ALASKA!!!! most beautifull place on earth... (i lived in alaska and hawaii....) and while it is a short driveing season, the summer drives can log 20 hours a day!!!)

11. draginsteel

draginsteel

All the western states are full of cars, but if you want something to do with your hot rod. Southern California is the only way to go.

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

and when alot of us here in the upper midwest are talking about retirement we aren't talking about moving someplace permanatly for 12 months a year. Most of my peers, family, car friends, etc have two homes, one here in Michigan and one in Florida or AZ. Some even have three, one here in the Metro Detroit area, one "up north", (which for us means a vacation home or cottage in the woods or on a lake or golf course for long weekends), AND one in a warmer climate state for winters.

When you live in a reasonable priced state you can actually afford more then one home.;)

13. ratster

ratster

its right here in the dirty south

14. fleetside66

fleetside66

I don't know Swiftster..I vacationed there for just about the entire month of January and, aside for some (what the Floridians called) cold for the first week, we only had rain one day & twice at night. Then I came home to PA, where we promptly got two feet of snow. My hot rod is hibernating & I'm sure you're driving yours.

15. Texas hill country.

16. Funny, I grew up in Utah and Idaho and have been in SoCal since 73 after a brief stint at Lake Tahoe.
    Good opportunity as long as you don't make over 15,000 a year. Otherwise you pay tax to the max.
    But, the weather!! The other day at the races it was about 80 and you could see palm trees and snow in the same view. AAA couldn't have had better weather!!!

17. woodman

woodman

Do your homework and find a state that is not aggressively seeking ways to remove street rods or vintage cars from it's roadways. I would stay away from sunny Cal.

18. Southern California is rich with history. Good & bad, but the car culture is in it's purest form here. I was picking up parts all over So Cal, this past Tuesday. Seen a chopped 51 Merc running around mid day. I live in the cheap rent district, w/ Junkies across the street as we speak(or as I type this). So if you find a place you can afford here, you really don't want to live there.

19. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

hay! wutz wrong wit us werin are straw hatz and overallz? we is reel good fokes out heer. Kansas is pretty decent in the way of cars and registrations. I pay $19 a year for the Bel Air in registration fees and plenty of really good shows to go to.

20. Abomb

Abomb

Those "unsavory characters" were probably just tourists from "up North"

Or maybe we just distrust really tall guys that talk funny...

Antique registration is fast, easy, and cheap ($19 a year, with no mileage restrictions).....Cost of living is dirt cheap in most area's.....the weather, well, bring on the global warming........:D

21. I would have to say;
    #1 So Cal
    #2 Texas,but real close!

There's just so much going on in Southern California on a daily basis. There's at least 4-5 shows every weekend! Not including the races and small gatherings and Cruise nights.

22. HAWAII???? WTF! He said Hotrod state! Not surfing and laying around!!!!

23. So true...

24. Every state IS what you make it...

Sam

25. fiveofeen

fiveofeen

My little lazy beach town in North County San Diego

26. State of confusion...

27. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

castlemaine,australia:confused:

28. #1 Prescott
    #2 Anywhere else.

29. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

NC, Mooresville area,

30. 19Fordy

19Fordy

"I do like Florida and there is no sales tax." Opps, there IS sales tax. No STATE INCOME TAX.