Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 52 so far....Pics, Pics and more Pics.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bash'n'Weld, May 12, 2008.

1. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Thanks guys.

Got a bit more done today, roughly cut out drivers side floor, shaped a piece of sheetmetal and got it roughed in. Should get it finished tommorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

your master cylinder is on the wrong side of the car

3. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

4. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Got the floor pan fitted properly and welded in and welds tidied up. Took about 6 hours, a bit longer than I thought it would take.

Onto the rocker panel next.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Good work on the car. You have done an excellent job thus far!
    Can't wait to see it all back in one piece!

I bet it never gets old when someone makes a comment that your steering wheel or master cylinder is on the wrong side!!!

6. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

I'm really enjoying this thread, keep up the good work. It's great to see the mixture of art/engineering that it takes to do this right, most people would have either given up, or started slinging the poo a long time ago.

7. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Your right, never gets old.

Babbitbeater - i'm sure i'll have to poo it up before paint, my aim is to get it as straight as I can so I will only use as little as possible.;)

8. fatrhino

fatrhino

Glad to see you're back into it

9. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Got a bit more time to work on the car this weekend.

Now the back passenger floor pan doesn't look that bad at all, that is until you look real close and see new sheetmetal welded over the top of bad stuff.
    Ok boys and girls, who can tell me what happens when you weld good over bad without making it air (and moisture) tight? That's right, it rusts twice as fast and twice as nasty!

[​IMG]

Didn't get to completely clean up the welds but you get the idea

[​IMG]

10. fitzee

fitzee

I thought I was the only fool willing to take on a rusty project as bad as yours.My Studebaker wagon has the rust in the same place. Should mount them doors cause the post will sag. Trust me on that one,been there done that!! Great work all the same.keep it going.

11. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

what year is your car? it is a 1952 body but the dash is 49 or 50. nice work saving this car. see it to the end.

12. Philbilly

Philbilly

Looking good man.

13. SimonSez

SimonSez

The Canadian export right-hand drive 51-52 Chev's that were sold in NZ carried over the 49-50 style dashboard to save money having to engineer the 51-52 dash for rhd.

14. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

fitzee - Yeah I plan to mount the doors after I finish off the back floor pan, so then it will give me a good reference line to install the rocker.

Bullet Man - It's a 52 Deluxe. (EDITED) As I was typing this, SimonSez came along with a good answer

Cheers Philbilly.

15. MylesG

MylesG

Excellent thread! I have also just purchased a 52 4 door in similar (or even worse) state that this. Previous owner attempted to make a few mods i need try repair (rough roof chop, section etc) but i will be doing alot of the things you are doing so i will be paying alot of attention to this thread. I see you have gone for the jag front and rear too, thats the direction i was heading. Looking forward to following and may be asking a few questions as i go along...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  16. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Haven't logged in for a couple of weeks (new job, long hours), MylesG: happy to help when and where I can. Cheers

17. ot0_m0t0

ot0_m0t0

Your doing a good job on this one, keep at it. :D

18. MylesG

MylesG

Hi Bash,

JUst after a bit of help with the front end. Wondering what model etc of Jag you used. Trying to source one for mine but unsure of the best one to go for. Any help appreciated.

Cheers

19. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Myles, I have a 1971 Series 1 front end to go into the chev. I have been talked out of using the rear end though, as using a falcon/ fairmont back end with discs would suit my setup better and apparently easier to install ( jag has binding issues if not installed correctly), so i've been informed by someone who has almost unlimited experience in both fields.

Cheers

20. MylesG

MylesG

Thanks for that Bash. I was a bit unsure as some of the jag front ends ive seen (maybe all?) have the shocks outside the springs compared to the original Chev front which have them inside the springs, atleast thats how the front i have looks. Is there any chance you could post a couple of pics showing yours and how it was fitted?

Thanks

21. Damn BashNWeld, I'm feeling better about the rot I thought I had on my Pontiac. lol:D
    Can wait to see more. Keep at it!!

22. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Myles,

Yep, no problem. I'll post the pics when I get round to fitting it in.;)

SPDJNKY: Cheers, awesome 34 project you got there.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
  23. fifty2-kustom

fifty2-kustom
    from australia

i was told it had some thing to do with the metal shortage around the time of the korean war??? could have been left over production dashes that needed to be used because of this shortage ????

24. billys54

billys54

nice work keep it up.

25. SimonSez

SimonSez

Possible I guess, but there are also other examples where the right-hand drive dashes from the first model in a series were used after the dash in the US versions had changed, e.g. 57 and 62-64 Chevs.