Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ok Guys.. let me have it..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pont463, Feb 12, 2010.

1. pont463

pont463

Ok. I am building a 47 ford sedan. It has been hidden away in a back yard for a few years, but really isn't in that bad of shape. The car was completely dissasembled when I got it, so the tear down was really easy. I am looking to make a nice quality custom driver. I like to do everything a little different than most, but the end result is usually pretty nice. Here is what I have done, and what I am planning. I have chopped the top 4 inches, and had to slide the roof section back to make the curves right. I have lots of pics of the cut, and will post some for everyones scrutinizing. I have a 93 mustang being delivered as we speak to donate the entire drive train for the build. The fuel injected 5.0 should work nicely. I will keep everyone posted on how its all going.

2. chris55

chris55

Sounds good, lets see those pictures.

3. pont463

pont463

some of the pics

Attached Files:

4. pont463

pont463

here are some more

Attached Files:

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Nice job ,so far Keep us posted

6. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

looks like your doin fine! no need to rail ya over the stang! gotta make it move somehow!!! right!?

7. Master of None

Master of None

Looks like a great start.

8. Nothing wrong with using what is available and a proven drivetrain. I have a 74 Pontiac Lemans 2v 350/th350 going in my 52 Catalina, the Lemans was a $100 runner.

I don't know that I've paid attention to a chopped 46 - 48 tudor before. You certainly won't pull up next to one at a cruise or show.

Better/more metal work than I've done.

9. Sounds like a good plan to me.And looks like you are doing good on it.

10. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I'm runnin a 5-0 and a 5 speed and I'm not even a ford dude. What elese is a v8 5 speed thats better? I hate fords and it is the best way I could find to go

11. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Hey thats a good looking chop. Keep up the good work!

12. pont463

pont463

Well the mustang is delivered in the driveway.. hopefully get started working on it tomorrow.. I will keep you all updated..

13. alumslot

alumslot

Looks good. I'm just up the road a little. Hope to see you curisin' when you get'r done.

Jim

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Good looking chop. Keep us informed as you make progress.

Frank

15. chopz56

chopz56

Looking good bro!Not to bad for a Hoosier ha ha.........i'm from Cedar Lake!

16. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Looks like a project in the middle of a chop. Looks good so far keep the pictures coming.

17. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I'm running a '70 Olds 350 with a 350 Turbo, running all for the low low price of $150. What else are you going to do on a low budget? The Trad engines have gone sky high. Wish I was into this when they were giving them away when guys wanted 350 Chevy's in their rides..... damn! :cool:

18. pont463

pont463

I have been in the garage taking some measurements and was wondering if anyone else has thought about using the entire floor pan and rear suspension from a mustang or any unibody car on a older classic.. I am contimplating cutting the entire rear floor and subframe section from the 93 mustang and welding it into the 47. It would give me everything i need in the rear.. full suspension, fuel tank, and lower my floor pans, all at the same time.. And rear parts would just be factory 93 mustang stuff.. Any thoughts?

19. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

You are doing an awesome job on the chop, the car should turn out nice if all of your work is at that level. No need to razz you about the 'stang, if you are going to drive it everyday that is the only way to go.

20. olskool34

olskool34

I applaud you for chopping this car. Take the stang gear and make her a runner - no problem with using a ford in a ford. I hope this turns out as nice as I have pictured in my head. Nice project so far, looking forward to seeing more!

21. pont463

pont463

I was wondering what you guys think about removing the drip rails?? I have been wanting to keep them, but the idea is growing on me to trim them off and smooth them in.. I will be welding and smoothing the fenders on if that makes a difference. Pros and cons?? would a sedan look right that way?? Not sure...

22. Soviet

Soviet

Don't. It'll look like a cucumber.

23. pont463

pont463

Good point.. I guess there would be nothing to break the roof from the sides...

24. 32Essex

32Essex
    from Texas

Really nice chop, It'll look kool when you're finished.

25. chevyshack

chevyshack

Im no pro but im not sure if the unibody would support the weight of that car. You might be better off using your full fram and just fabing up mounts for the mustang rear suspension.

26. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Missing drip rails look, just like stated. Missing, and can screw up the lines. I seen some successfully done, but on different shaped cars (49-50 Mercs for example). Cucumber comment was funny. I like what your doing with the chop.

27. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

This is the way to build if you want to go the daily driver route without a doubt. The "shell" weight of the 47 Ford Sedan should not be an issue. I'm in the process of doing just this with a 49 Merc. I hope the link below shows the thread. Frame machine is the key tool here. Regards, Rhys.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417891

28. millersgarage

millersgarage

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  29. pont463

pont463

Thats a great build you are doing.. I will be following it close to help with ideas..

30. Rodshop

Rodshop

Makes me want to get over my winter inertia and get started on a next project. Just to weigh in on the drip rails- that chop is interesting and nicely done, but it really needs the line of the drip rails to work.
    Rodshop