Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Buy the April edition of Hot Rod!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Feb 2, 2010.

1. sota

sota

Thanks Brian!!Your car should of been the cover shot,It's one Bitchin ride!!!

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I prefer to think of it as "self promotion"...;)

Brian

3. Half-congrats, Dude. I got my April HR last night, turned to p. 34 and see you and the back half of your car -- followed by page 51?! In magazine terminology I guess the binder screwed up and missed a folio. Hope this wasn't a widespread problem (didn't see anybody else mention it). Guess I'll have to pick up a newsstand copy.

(Yesterday, wasn't my day for magazines. I finally decided to subscribe to Garage after they seemed to get it together, saw the new one was on the stand and thought "better buy it cause it'll take 'em at least another two issues to get my sub started." Come home and there's the new Garage, Hot Rod, and Street Rodder. Oh well).

But, I digress. It's a great looking car -- at least the half I've seen.

4. Cool!
    I'm buying it for another reason, but now I know there is something else worth looking at in this issue.
    Job well done Brian. I really dig your car.

5. dotcentral

dotcentral

Got my issue in the mail Thursday and keep coming back to your 36. Looks incredible. Do you have any build threads posted?

6. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Got mine. Love the door panels and the bomber seats..not so keen on the cushons :)
    Awesome little ride.

7. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

8. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Anybody need the copy ,I have one ......pay shipping and its yours .Congrats Flyin brian 48

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks! Yes, just search "Fordillac" and a bunch of threads will pop up. I did to a sort of build thread when the car was more or less together.

Brian

10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

WHAT? :eek::p;) LOL, there's an ass for every seat, and those fit mine just fine! I like 'em, and like the rest of the car, it's scrounged stuff. The cushions are Neon bucket seat cushions, covered with distressed leather from a Bauhaus chair my brothers pet rabbit knawed the corner off of. They are very comfortable. Really. :cool:

Brian

11. Congrats man.. I remember when I got a pic into rebel rodz. I jumped up and down like a crazy person lol (and don't worry folks it wasn't a pic of a car it was me performing)

12. chrisser

chrisser

I knew there'd be a thread.

My Hot Rod's been sitting for a few days since it arrived - I don't seem to look forward to reading it like I used to.

What a great surprise to see a car I recognized from here.

Congratulations Brian!

Can you share the story of the whole experience? I bet we'd all like to hear about how the process works and the interaction with the staff. Most of us won't ever be in that position.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  13. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Thats it! they remind me of the couch my wife paid way too much for! :D
    I'll tell ya, I could live with the cushions..super cool.

14. Congratulations from the West Coast!
    Your '36 roadster is not just another cookie cutter example.
    Dare to be Different! :cool:

15. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks. It still seems surrreal. Bill McGuire from HOT ROD approached us at the "Relix Riot" show here this past Sept, and said HOT ROD would be interested in featuring the car, but he didn't want to shoot it there. I was flattered, but another photog was going to shoot the car, and Bill didn't want to shoot it there. He did come back and took some snap shots of it, and we exchanged contact info so I was encouraged, but didn't want to get too excited yet. Besides, I was assured the car was a "shoo in" for a feature in the mag the other guy was going to submit it to...;) Bill said he had to pitch the car to Frieburger, and I was thinking, "Well, it's not gonna stand up to the high roller cars that get featured."

Two weeks later, he called, and asked if we'd be willing to take the car to Detroit for a photo shoot, as he had an idea of the area he wanted to use as a backdrop. I was at work, and my wife called to tell me. Needless to say, I didn't accomplish much at work that day (although all my patients lived, which I guess meant I did my job OK!:rolleyes:). I'd have gotten it to the moon if that's where they wanted to shoot it...

We borrowed a car trailer from my buddy (it was a rainy Oct. day here) and towed the car behind the '48 convert to Detroit, spent a couple hours shooting it downtown just off Woodward near the old Ford plant. The sun came out, the car stayed clean, the shots were great, and we were, to say the least, excited. Rained all the way home, but we managed to find a place to park in downtown Ann Arbor, no small feet with a car and trailer in tow, and had a celebratory lunch at the "Gandy Dancer" a great restraunt we havent' been too in years.

So, that's it. Just the best few months of my Hot Rod hobby life, wrapped up in three paragraphs!

Brian

16. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

My coupe has a shot in their too!

17. jtille

jtille

Nice....well done congrats!!!

18. Big Tony

Big Tony

Sweet... Congrats

19. chrisser

chrisser

Awesome story.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

20. 067chevy

067chevy

Congratulations!

21. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Does this mean your changing your user name to Sir Flyin brian 48 .
    Were not worthy.Congrats ,

22. sinr

sinr
    from cecilia ky

ok,ok so i'm gonna ask the question eyerone else is afraid to ask......... where do i send my copy for you to sign??? no really super cool car thought so when i saw the layout, even cooler now knowing your a H.A.M.Ber

23. nickleone

nickleone

Brian,
    Did you fix the cooling problem?

Nick

24. Posies

Posies

Nice statement. Keep up the good work.

25. the-rodster

the-rodster

That's almost as cool as having the pic in the mag.

Rich

26. Hell yeah, Congrats!

27. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

HOLY COW! I gotta say, that means more to me than you can know! I can't outspend 'em, but I can out think 'em.:D

Brian

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yes. A second radiator, rear mounted under the floor over the axle, with it's own fan, exhaust ports cut into the wheel houses behind the tires, and raising the rear floor 2" for air flow. No problem:p;)...

29. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Brian, Nice to see the finished project in a Magazine !

30. 61TBird

61TBird

I want mine Autographed....:D