Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Yard Find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FoMoCoPower, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Some pickups & Travelalls have fuel tanks under the cab with passenger side mount/fill...some have them on the driver's side...some have tanks under/behind the rear fender...and some have multiple tanks. Just as a little background on why this is so:

One of the really, really neat things about IH vehicles...and one of the contributing factors to the Light Line demise...is that there were literally hundreds of build options for just the body & chassis, with extensive "custom" body options available from the factories themselves. Of course one could always go to a custom body/coach builder like Boyertown as well. IH, as an overall view, considered that the Light Line would be used for commercial use just as much as the big trucks, and built/offered accordingly.

Of course, to an extent, the case can be made that they bled certain medium-duty parts down to the Light Line as a production economy. Good for the consumer, not so good for the corporate bottom line. One great example was the use of the 266/304/345/392 engines...built for high mileage use and rough conditions, but overkill for 1/2 ton-1 ton trucks. I've torn down 345 engines with literally no bore wear and still having honing crosshatch, with over 100K miles.

2. never seen one that clean! last one i had we used 3 bumper jacks to lift the roof after a sizable fir tree had fallen on it.

3. Fitysix

Fitysix
    from Md.

Damn she is sexy...in a trailer gal kinda way. Nice score even with a leaky carb.
    Fitysix

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Put an equalizer hitch on the back, get a 4 wheel trailer, and you've got the ultimate "project fetcher". Cool score!

Frank

5. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I seen an old lady driving one of these as a daily like 2 weeks ago.

6. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

i think your missing the spirt of given!!!!!:D

7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I could be wrong, but I get the feeling you're a Cummins guy...:D

8. 067chevy

067chevy

Had one just like that same color but all wheel drive. That thing would go anywhere.

9. Beauty and History.
    Barrett Jackson, here she comes.
    :)
    :)

10. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I kinda wish it was a 4x4,but at the same time I don`t cause I`d have it stuck somewhere right now..lol.

11. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Drained the gas tank,rebuilt the carb,and put a new battery in it. It runs very good,engine is very smooth and quiet. Even took it for a short ride. It had to have been a woman`s vehicle,haha....it has power steering and power brakes.

12. retromotors

retromotors

I'm very envious of your find. I had one just like it except mine had a white roof, green body. Very cool ride.

Biggest problem with mine was the firewall area was rotten. Seems they didn't put much (or any) screening in the cowl vent area to keep debris out. I wouldn't park it under any trees too often.

Here's a DUH! story on myself:
    All of a sudden the Travelall got to runnin' real shitty, backfiring and popping all to hell.
    I figured the timing chain had jumped a tooth. Spent most of a day pulling the radiator and timing cover on the 345, only to find a massively overengineered gear drive. No way those will ever jump time!
    Turned out to be bad plugs. Like I said .....DUH!

Oh yeah, a 345 don't like to pass up too many gas pumps, either! :D:D

13. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Well thats good,cause itsa 304..lol.

14. Some of you will hate this idea, But I think the thing is screaming for a top chop.... say 4-5 inches.... Think how long it would look then...
    HHHHMMMMMMMMM... Might have to draw that up

15. swi66

swi66

Beautiful find!
    Preserve it as original, they are only that way once.

16. Alright - here is what I'm thinking....
    Sorry for the rough sketch - I just wanted to crank this one out...
    5" top chop, keep the steelies and dog dishes, but could go to chromies...
    Shave the handles, french in Galaxie taillights... :eek:
    A travesty for sure to the Travelall purist - given this may be the last rust free one in captivity.... Easy to cut 'em up on paper :D

Attached Files:

17. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Look closer at the pictures,rust free it is Not.

18. That thing is the titts! Would love to have it myself. My friend Chad at Vintage Customs in Clearwater redid one for a customer, it is the coolest thing ever. I'll see if I can find pics.