Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Sorta HAMBish - '32 Auburn body build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ritchj, Jan 14, 2010.

1. ritchj

ritchj

I'm lucky enough to be taking the Lazze step 2 class and thought a few might be interested in seeing what goes on. Not a traditional hot rod, but how about a somewhat traditional build? If anyone is offended I'll not add any more pics or the vids, or you can just not look at this thread a second time :p

We're doing the exterior body for a 32 Auburn boat tail. In 5 days from a plywood buck. Not the usual 32 roadster that he usually does in a week. 3 days in - door skins are done, the cowl is done, the rear wings are done, and the rear quarters are shaped and the next two days will be

Wow am I learning a lot. There will be some adjusting necessary once the new wooden frame is made, but still I'm impressed after 3 days, considering none of us does this stuff as a FT job.

I'll try to answer questions - but this is more exhausting that sitting at my desk all day long LOL. Helps my confidence that I can do the stuff that is in his books/DVD's - including the newest one.

Here's a few sample pics, and then time lapse videos of our class.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1cQvElsAidk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is a HAMB Friendly post! Thanks for posting it!

3. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

4. N8B

N8B

WOW. What happens to the cars once complete? Do they get build and sold. Looks like a great experience.

5. duste01

duste01

once again with alittle less lapse.....

6. noboD

noboD

Excellant work.

7. its_a_nick

its_a_nick
    from Sweden

Last year i heard he had a lotery and gave one of the bodies to someone that did a course that year.

8. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

looks grate,I have the DVDs

9. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Looking forward to up-dates!
    Thanks for posting.
    Mark.

10. ritchj

ritchj

Awesome experience.

7 foot long rear quarters were an experience and a half.

The final photo is the 5th day at the end of class. Exterior panels for the body from the firewall to the tail are complete. Everything was formed using Lazze's english wheel and beadroller.

Highpoint was when a couple of oldsters showed in a real, running complete '31 version of the car - it was a great upper for the afternoon.

after the first time through the wheel
    [​IMG]

Little later, after more time in the english wheel
    [​IMG]

Bead marked and ready to roll

[​IMG]

the bead before a cleanup run through the roller - keeping a 7 long piece of metal turning smoothly in the bead roller was a pretty good teamwork exercise
    [​IMG]

The result - firewall back, ready for a new ash frame and then some more tweaking....

[​IMG]

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

I'm loving this ! :D

Every step,... every detail,..... please keep this thread going !

(Just watched the video,... Wow do those guys work FAST ! :D)

12. radio_king

radio_king

Oh Boy!!!Amazing!

13. studhud

studhud

Lazze is the Man! That guy is way talented.
    Dave Hitch

14. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

That's really cool! Actually last week I thought that instead of building 32 fords at those classes he should build more interesting and rare cars like for instance the phantom corsair....and now he builds an auburn....that's really cool!

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Those rear quater beads answer a question I've had for years. Is that finished bead just one roll throught the roller or do you run it through several times?

16. wow wow wow, what an amazing skill to just fabricate what you want. awesome photos, keep them coming, i want to see this thing after the 5 days!

17. sololobo

sololobo

Good Lord!! Now that is some amazing work. Those cars were so awesome, I drool over The Style Kings Auburn ride everytime I see the pictures of it. I hope I am correct that it is an Auburn style. But anyway, thanx for this very interesting post!! ~Sololobo~

18. fitzee

fitzee

This is art work.Any tips on running the body lines?

19. 33pickemup

33pickemup

That is amazing!!

20. ritchj

ritchj

One shot in the bead roller for the rear quarters. Practice runs on several smaller pieces before and then working out the communication part of things that stop means stop (not whoa/arrgggh!/etc.) who is guiding and who is neutral/muscle/just there to overcome gravity was really important.

The beads on the real cars are tapered from front to rear and I think next time we decided to mount the shaped metal on the buck, and then run the bead so they line up where the panels meet. This time there was lots of stand and think/measure 14 times cut/roll once time making sure the beads would match up when the panels were trimmed.

[​IMG]

Remember the thing where the teacher would say if you're off by an 1/64th building a freeway from LA you might end up in miami rather than new york? that's what I was thinking about on the rear quarters while holding the end not being rolled 7' from the dies.

There is maybe an inch overall that is going to need some lead filler to straighten a bobble, pretty good considering there are three beads on each side for the entire length of what you see: 72+ feet of bead (12' long/3x each side/x2 sides)

The last image above is from day five - hmmm I thought we did great. The car owner has front/rear fenders, running boards, and a hood. I think we did pretty well three noobs and Lazze.

Links:
    Day 2 time lapse
    Day 3 time lapse

21. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

22. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Stunning work!Very impressed!
    Mark

23. I would really like to take one of his classes, he's one of the current metal masters. You guy's did a great job on all those panels, that car will be awesome with those lines.

Thanx for posting.
    Jaysin

24. Master of None

Master of None

Wow once again i want to go throw rocks at my projects.. Keep up the great work

25. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

good metal work is good metal work is good metal work. I can't wait to take one of these classes my self. great post--makes me jealous.

26. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Whats the roadster in the background?

27. Harms Way

Harms Way

How about an update ?

28. Thanks. Subscribed.

29. hasty

hasty

Wow thats inspiring. I would love to do that class. Sounds like you got a lot out of it?