Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. jmh

jmh

My bad.. Got my Knight colors mixed up!! John:D

2. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

mrflagman from Wisconsin? Izzat you, Dick Witt?

3. twvandy

twvandy

Great photo's. I go to Pegion Forge Tn every Sept for the Shades of the Past rod run. I have seen David (Silver Fox)Pearson there for the last 4 years. He still likes them old Fords.

4. mrflagman

mrflagman
    from Wisconsin

Nope...My name is Greg Oliver. I flag at the LaCrosse Fairgrounds Speedway.

5. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

[​IMG]

The #32 Superbird was another Gary Sigman prepared car. Driven by Kevin Terris at Riverside in 1970.

6. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Here Kevin Terris and his #32 '70 Plymouth Road Runner are competing in the NASCAR race in Riverside, California on January 10, 1971. Terris managed a very respectable seventh place finish. This is the same car that was a SuperBird during its last NASCAR appearance at Riverside in June of 1970. In fact, Joe reports that this car was raced at various times as a '68 Road Runner, '69 Road Runner, '70 Road Runner and '70 SuperBird.

Sorry......I guess I should have mentioned that this picture and the one above are from the Joe Machado collection @ Aero Warriors.com

7. Falconred

Falconred

Thanks for the Grand American photos. I recognize the 55 of Tiny Lund and the 87jr of Buck Baker but I don't remember any of the other numbers. I worked for awhile at Nalley Chev. with TC Hunt that ran G A and there was another Georgian named Harry Gailey that ran a Mustang in G A. That was a good series that some what evolved into the All American Challenge series that NASCAR ran on the short tracks. I guess I am just old fashioned but I still like the GA style cars and the old Nova-Lemans and Fairlane-Fairmont style of sportsman cars.

8. Tricknology

Tricknology
    from DETROIT

[​IMG]

the grreat JOY FAIR FROM THE DETROIT AREA

9. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

here is the start of the 63 milwaukee 200. hey john-- look were the flagman is......

10. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

7x PCLM/Winston West champion

11. Beentherebefore

Beentherebefore

Thanks for that history. McGriff returned to racing with a vengeance in 1971. He bought the car that Pete Hamilton had driven in 1970 from the Pettys. He and Ray Elder had a tremendous battle for the Winston West points championship that summer. Dick Bown got into the mix once or twice too, if I'm remembering correctly. It may have been the series best year. They were actually adding races to the schedule as the summer went on because of the overflow crowds. I know because I had to change some pre-arranged scheduling to be able to attend the events in SoCal.

12. Fastway

Fastway
    from London KY

[​IMG]
    #56K Roy Knight 57 Chevy in Earl Wilson car
    #56 Brian Houchins 56 Chevy
    #F71 James Bancroft 52 Mercury

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, arca39. I used to love doing that, but they wouldn't let us do it much after the mid 60s if they had a flagstand on the outside. I used to love doing ARCA at Springfield, Ohio on the dirt until they got a flagstand. My avatar shows probably the last time I got to do an ARCA race on the track, and Louisville Downs in the late 60s.

Another reason I liked working the Figure 8s at Louisville and Charlestown. When the insurance rep showed up at Charlestown in 1983, he about had a heart attack and told the promoter, Andy Vertrees, that I couldn't do that. Andy said I'd been doing it for more than 20 years. He said, "OK, but when he retires, that's it." My son was taking over and he was NOT happy.

14. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

hey, was watching the vids,(ones you got a copy of) turning them in to dvds, and it has action shots of the flagmen next to the cars as the come flying by. as well as the pit at milwaukee--on the track with nothing between the race and them...wow....:eek:

15. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

here some shots from soldier field in the early 60's

16. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

here are two shots of bart wheels owner-founder rich clement first one is IRP when it was dirt (1961).

17. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

for the local chicagoland guys.. here is santa fe champ,lasalle speedway owner tony izzo sr. in his first race car

18. Falconred

Falconred

I'm gonna be picky, thanks for the photos by the way. Bart Wheels started as "Wheels By Bart" and was owned by Bart Hoek and was later run by Johnny Hoek. I guess it was sold out to Clement later. I worked with J. Hoek at Nalley Chev. back in '68-'69. T.C. Hunt also worked there at the time. T.C. ran all kinds of races through the years but at that time he was racing in the NASCAR Grand American series.

There was also a company in Alabama called Broad Wheels that was absorbed by Bart if I remember right.

19. Falconred

Falconred

Here are some 22s.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

hey falconred thanks for the info, i have only known rich as owning bart. but then again i'm not that old.....dad and his buddies raced with rich in the 60's...

21. txtom

txtom

If memory serves me correctly, Trickle was originally the "Purple Knight" until he switched to the white cars.

22. ModelCarMan

ModelCarMan

Great pictures Falconred!!! I love the stock lookin latemodels the best before they started building slamfest bodies in the early 80s.

But in my book you still can't beat a good latemodel race even today!!!

23. copley62

copley62

24. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Good stuff, Copley. Thanks. Top one looks like Dayton.

25. Falconred

Falconred

Rome Speedway (Georgia) in the late seventies or early eighties. I didn't have a wide angle lens then.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Woops: Dixie or West Atlanta I cant' remember which.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made it!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  26. Warbird7

Warbird7

This Islip photo looks like Ken Squier is interviewing Petty after the race.

[​IMG]

27. JLS65

JLS65
    from Dallas, GA

Falconred, These photos are at Rome Speedway. I recognize the fence and advertising signs.

28. Racingphotoguy

Racingphotoguy
    from Wisconsin

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  29. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

hey indyjohn, the greenfield-gallery has asa programs and pics...i have bought some pics. from them at shows...they are great.. and welcome greenfield....

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Is there a website? Also, how do I change my signature line?