Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs who owns this 4dr custom Mercury?? Need Info!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ian Berky, Feb 6, 2010.

1. geemann51

geemann51

Thats pretty cool though the way they used stock style latches. I like it a lot. This thread is telling me there's a 4-door Merc in my future. It might just need a Berky chop....

2. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

4 doors are cool right?? I love em!! Let's see how mine comes out first!:eek::)LOL!!

3. jasone

jasone

Good luck with your next chop man...you'll get it right.

4. geemann51

geemann51

Yeah, the right ones are. I was actually looking a 4 door 49 Ford with a running flat 6 just to drive around hard but need to make the 37 a real roller first.....

5. Not only that but the amount of extra reinforcing frame and body work you would have to do so that it didn't fold up like a tent would be a huge undertaking.

6. EXK, that thing has a beautiful chop. Especially the window area. Looks like a coupe with the added bonus of suicide doors. The best of both worlds!!

7. SLEDLORD

SLEDLORD
    from OC

I was at Rick's shop talking to him about doing a carson top to my 4 door merc like that bad ass green one he did. I saw that black merc and never fucking reailized it was a 4 door :eek:. Rick can you post some pics of that green carson toped merc ? I need a fix. thanks Shawn

8. Rikster

Rikster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Hey Shawn my father will like your avatar. How's your merc coming along. Got that hopped up Flatty & 5sp trans installed yet ? Post some pics.

The carson topped green 4 door belonges to Mike Montegovry? sorry mike I probally spelled your last name wrong, anyway heres a few more pic's of Mikes 4dr merc.

Attached Files:

10. brofle1402

brofle1402

dont know if you ever found out but that looks close to the same as mine, mine has been cut 7 inches in the front. i cant remember my windshield measurement but the height of the door glass looks real close. as far as the back mine was never measured it was just cut until it looked good. it does pose a problem for anyone in the back seat. as far as the front goes mine is channeled 6 inches. with mounting the seats as low as possible i can fit in mine and im 6'3"

11. Rick makes the best carson tops folks, if you need on seriously hit him up. You probably dont remember but years ago....like 11-12 years ago you were showing us ( The Mishifts) how to do it the right way. Nice work

12. That top fits like shit! I like the car but the top doesn't work with the windshield at all. Look at the first pic again...

13. This is what a Carson top should fit like. This was Wiseguy's 4dr. It had one of Keith Deans tops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Rikster

Rikster

I know... the tops of the windshield frame where not modified to look like a Convertible windshield frame on the green one. They should have done that, would have made all the difference in the world.
    I dont think its the shape of the actual top that matters in this case. Its the body metal around the windshield that makes it look not right!

15. HRod 50

HRod 50

Rikster, I agree completely with you that the body metal around the winshield makes the carson top not look right. I know Ricks work well, and if it was done this way there must be a reason. My opinion is the owner must have not had the $$$ to do the winshield along with the carson top. Customers Running out of money can be the death of a lot of builders reps. Can't blame a builder if a guy pulls thier car out before it's completely finished...

16. The owner of the green 4dr merc Mike was on a very tight budget but he had to have working vent windows and side glass. To make the side vent window like a real convertible would have been big $$$$. Way over his budget so I did it the most cost effective way I could. I even made the went window door frame removable so in the future all he has to do is unbolt them from the door. It would have been much easier and alot cheaper to simple remove the vent window and all the side glass and cap the doors and make the A pillars simular to a real convertible like the silver one Bad Bob is so impressed with.

As for the top fitting in Rikster's pics it does look very bad to me also. All I know is the top fitted very nice when it left my shop see pic's. I can only guess that Mike my have added a thicker header sea due to it was raining that day or he did not have the front latches drawn down or mybe its looks that way from a wide angle camara lens or a combenation of all.

Attached Files:

17. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I would agree with the above, I cut mine 6.5" in the back and 4.5" in the front & my back glass isn't laying down as much as this one.