Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Traditional barber shops??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LANCE-SPEED, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DirtyWoody28

DirtyWoody28

I have been going to the same barber shop since my first haircut, my barber is a street rod builder, but I have slowly been convincing him to change his evil ways

2. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

I need some traditional landscaping done on my traditional front flower bed, anybody know a good traditional landscaper in the Greater Houston area?

Also, I need a few gallons of nitro, don't wanna buy a whole drum- anybody want to split one with me?

Just some shit I need...

3. Humboldt Cat

Humboldt Cat
    from Eureka, CA

Gotta get some pics of City Barber in old town Eureka, discovered it last Spring, but unfortunately he works the exact same days & hours as I, it's hella hard to get out early enough to scoot down to the I Found It town after work. Still, it'd be worth it.
    In a small restored Victorian office building on J St. between 3rd & 2nd, Bill's place is a laid back parlor, jazz or bop playing, he often gets a rush of rockabilly musicians the day of gig. Great conversationalist, witty as hell, big into the car scene. His main chair is a restored peice from 1930's Chicago train station. Damn I'm overdue for a cut, too...

nice website, www.citybarber.com

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  4. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Good barber shops, hell barber shops in general are getting harder and harder to find. I hate how many "hair stylists" don't even know what hair grease is.

5. thesupersized

thesupersized

[​IMG]

even Richard Simmons thinks this thread should be closed

6. huero

huero

Those styles were for squares not greasers.

7. huero

huero

Have you seen the documentary Choppertown? If, you haven't I have to warn you there are scenes in the doc that concern haircuts and their barber. Just warning you so you don't go out and watch a gay documentary.

8. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

hahahaha webb is a cool dude and barber:)

9. First of all I never said any shop was gay. All I did was state a FACT about carshows back in the day so read carefully before you comment. I have been going to traditional barbershops for years and yes I have seen choppertown,i loved it . Point is, this is a CAR msgboard and haircuts dont have nothing to do with cars. Sorry

10. Bigjake

Bigjake

We have a little barber shop on the town square called the West Side Barber shop. Andy is the barbers name, Vietnam vet who has done at least a million high and tights and was a barber in the Army. Costs 2 and a quarter to get your hair cut no matter what you want and he has people lined up from open to close. Takes you at least 2 hours to get your hair cut but it's worth every minute of sitting down and listening to everyone bullshit in the little barber shop. A real good time and I've been getting my buzzcut there since I was 8 years old and don't ever plan to stop until old Andy is done cutting hair. Sometimes its good to live in a small town.

11. huero

huero

Yes, you did. Read your first sentance and the quote above it.
    Now, lets move one and try and give reccomendations to anyone that is looking for a good barber.

12. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

13. thesupersized

thesupersized

can anybody come up with a reasonably logical argument why this thread should not be closed?

14. Read my first sentence and like I said , I never said a shop was gay, I said this thread was gay. Either way it dont matter. Are you saying my statement was wrong? Did you see barbershops set ups at shows back in the 50s? Didnt think so. Like I said earlier, haircuts have nothing to do with cars, thats why I agreed with the guy who wrote that shit. Moving on ...... Orange County area in the city of orange ..... Geno knows how to chop a mop. Very cool bluesy shop with great music playing ALWAYS.

15. It should be closed !!!!!!!:cool:

16. Bigdaddy

Bigdaddy
    BANNED

Coming from the guy who was looking at a model A on a TCI chasis...and didnt know the diff between a 31 and 32.......Jeff do not waste your time!

17. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

18. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

[​IMG]

19. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I go to Swade here in Tucson. Great service, good price. Always a fun time. Wish my hair grew faster!

20. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

My grandfather was a barber, had a chair in his basement. I barely remember it, he died when I was around 5 or, 6 yrs old.

21. Kerry67

Kerry67

I started going to Electric Haven Tattoo/Barber in Tempe AZ. Cool place, big into the car scene and Johnny gives some great haircuts. Check it out.......

22. WTF dude.. For every cool post I read on here there's always some guy bitchin that it's not about hotrods and they usually manage to get the thread closed. To me this place is kinda like a bunch of hotrodders sitting around at a car show shootin the bull. Mostly talking about cars but occasionally having a convo about something else they are all interested in. What's the problem with that ? If the topic at the car show turns to something you don't care about go get a burger and come back later. Geez guys.. It's supposed to be fun, quit whining. I have nothing constructive to add. I'm an old hippy and haven't cut my hair in about 15 years other than the wife trimming off the scraggly part now & then but it's still an interesting topic with some cool car stuff & retro lookin women thrown in to boot... Every single post does not have to be about "how to chop a 32 3 window" to be cool. Old time barbershops, drive in movies, drive in burger joints, etc are ALL part of the hotrod culture.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  23. haychrishay

haychrishay

It's called the feminizing of america, where do you think the political correctness movement came from.....speaking of movement thats what it is a bunch of s..t!

24. Kerry67

Kerry67

amen.

25. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Well old Barber shops didn't have Women in them,,or Tattoo's ( though there were some women Barbers,Barber shops were Man Land ) Theres not "traditional about them..

Barber shops,,and the Salon ( Womans World ) ,,then latter you would see fastfood style hair cutteries ,,,It's really just "i'm cool " overkill...

Dude did you get that done at a Traditional Barber !!

Also back in the day not everyone could "afford" the Barber...so

Lotta these places posted are just cashing in a culture fad...but hey,everyone had the right to live there life how they choose

26. Kerry67

Kerry67

Because some of us are enjoying it. Don't like it, move your mouse right on by it. Simple as that.

27. I agree with some of that but alot of the current "retro movement" is simply because alot of us old guys (& ladies) miss those days when things were simple, cars were actually cool & fun rather than just transportation, and you didn't have to chain your lawnmower to a post when you're not using it to keep someone from stealing it. If a few people are making a living from our denial that times have changed then good for them. It's why I like living in NH. Things here are a little more like they were when I was growing up than they are in most other parts of the country. I leave my keys in my car at night so I don't have to look for them in the morning, I leave the house unlocked if I'm just running to the store, etc. Call me stupid but I've been doing it that way for 53 years and so far it's working..

28. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Well yes the world has changed,( and not so much for teh better ) and trying to keep some of the old I whole heatedly agree with..
    Just to me
    to many seem to get so holy about it,,and most times its the people who were'nt even there ,,the ones who are new to it all..and they tend to over do what it was actually like and just kinda ruins/bastardises the memory

and yes ,,leaving teh windows down on teh car when its parked,,hell leaving the keys in the ignition ,,There are still places you can do that and I hope those places stick around for a long time

29. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I hear ya, cant we all just get along?

P.S. Hawlleywoods is the place to be. Good cuts, cold beer, great music! ! !

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

great thread. lets start one on the coolest shoes and proper cuff length on our dickies jeans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.