Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gene Winfield Metal Class Minnesota!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CheaterCarl, Dec 17, 2009.

1. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Sweet pics Clark!

It was a great weekend. Take the class if Gene rolls into your town, you won't be disappointed!

2. murpa

murpa
    from .

it was a great class and gene is one of the coolest guys you will ever meet you could ask him any question no matter how dumb you think it is and he would answer it with class.gene is 82 years old and he has more energy than i had at 20.and he is going to try and break a record at bonneville this year at 230 mph in a roadster.i came away from that class with as much inspiration as i did knowledge watching gene winfield.
    p.s. i think we all have to thank dan pate for bringing all that equipment and tools and helping out.

3. Porter Man

Porter Man
    Alliance Vendor
    from Mound, MN

Yes, Thanks Dan! It was fun to see & hang with you again!:D

4. marx

marx

Yeah, Gene's the real deal. No doubt about that. Still puts in 12 hour days working on customer cars, day in, day out. His love of metal is really infectious, too. Some guys will crank out some cool shit early in their careers, and then cruise the rest of their lives on past glory; but Gene really loves what he does! The more knowledge he laid on us, the more I wanted to learn. I filled several dozen pages with quickly scribbled notes that I'm still poring over. Gotta write fast, 'cuz he's on to the next topic faster than you can write! Worth every nickel. He comes to a town near you: go.
    Cheers to Hot Rod Hardware. Tim and the crew at the shop were top notch hosts, too. Really hospitable, and the catered lunches were the best I've ever had.
    And Dan brought all that great machinery, and a taste of some of his handmade tools. Cool cat, and I'm glad to have met him.
    I had fun. -marx

5. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I'm getting excited....Gene is doing a class here at NDSCS in Wahpeton, ND May 22-23. Sounds like he does a great job with the class.

I got a kick out of the hammer he is using in this pic. Welding gas cap welded to a pipe! Great....Gene's idea or Tim's?

[​IMG]

6. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

That was Gene's idea. One of the first things he did in the class was show how to make a cheap hammer for pounding out some of the larger dents.

His class has a whole bunch of ideas on home tools or modifying purchased tools to get the job done. Another hammer he had was made out of a baseball bat. I filled several pages of notes just on tool ideas. It was great........

Doug

7. moparmaddnes

moparmaddnes
    from Minnesota

Has anyone made a link for the pictures that were taken. I was hoping to be able to get some of those pictures.
    Matt

8. sinks88

sinks88

What if Im a total Newb? Would the class help me? Im just learnin welding....Ive done some fabrication, and have a mind for it, but always have had friends help with welding....Would this be something I can actually learn from without knowing what most already do?

9. oldtin

oldtin

What is Gene doing with the cordless drill here in this pic? Doesn't look like he intends to drill a hole due to the angle of the drill.
    [​IMG]

10. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I wasn't there, but am guessing he is cleaning up the pits in a weld before filling. An old bodymans trick.