Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turlock swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jokerjason, Jan 13, 2010.

1. bava17

bava17

right on, brutha's!
    i totally agree with the last two posts.
    we definitely had our best "selling" year ever. like i mentioned before, we were really to busy saturday and sunday morn to do any real shopping.

but, obviously, you have to have the right parts at the right prices.
    we take stuff to sell, not to bring home again.
    i bet if we have 100 pieces in our two spots (not counting all the small nickel and dime stuff) probably only 3-5 are really priced in an area that we think we might have to bring them home again.
    but those 3-5 parts are parts that we really, really like and won't mind using or keeping them around until next jan. and those 3-5 parts are usually attention getters for our spots.

i'm glad to hear other people had a good swap as well. there were a few people around us that said they didn't have such a good weekend. but then you walk over and look at the stuff they are trying to sell and you kind of see why. steering wheel covers, anitfreeze, used engine parts (used pistons and the like), broken motorcycles, etc., etc. never mind the prices.

anyways, i think as far as selling goes, it was great.
    t-shirt sales were a little slow, but parts moved well.
    steve

2. hershambob

hershambob

so next time i see something for sale for $30,should i say is this realy $75!!!

3. bava17

bava17

hey bob,
    i hear ya, man.
    that's funny about the pedal.
    a couple of years ago a guy had a complete Taylor torch setup with the tanks and a cart and everything in really nice shape.
    he had a price tag on it of $80.
    i offered him $75 and he got really pissed.
    he spewed out something like:
    "do you really think i'm that friggin dumb? do you really think i'd sell this whole setup for $75? Godamn i get so sick of you people tryin to get something for nuthin. you should go somewhere else to try and buy shit for prices like that."
    i calmly replied "well, your price tag says $80 so i didn't really feel that $75 was that far off."
    he says "what frigggin price tag?"
    i showed it to him.
    he ripped it off and commented, "sorry, the price is $500."

it was funny. he could have calmly mentioned that it was the wrong price tag or that it was leftover from something else.
    it's funny what people get worked-up over. if you don't like the way swapmeets work, don't go.

i'm glad you found another pedal.
    i didn't see the model A. 5K sounds like a good deal for a nice one.
    where was it located?
    i did see a '36 ford pickup out in the big swap area. nice, original truck.
    steve

4. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

To any upset sellers-> ain't no sense getting mad about people haggling w/ you over prices. I do it, you do it, we all do it. To me, it's part of going to a swap meet: how much good stuff can I get for a good price- that's the only way I'm able to build cars. If someone gets all bent over a low price offer, it's not worth my time to try to make him happy/calm him down. A simple "No, thank you." will suffice AND you won't look like a jerk.
    My favorite way to get a good price is to listen- when his wife is saying "Get this crap out of here- we are NOT taking it home!", that's a good clue that he's motivated to sell. LOL!!
    I remember one year(okay, about 20 years ago) this fella was ENJOYING his beers. He has an Edelbrock intake for a SBC, and my buddy is interested in it. I offer him $30. He passes and says he wants $75 for it. Now mind you, this is when they were under $100 Brand new. We wandered around for a few hours and passed back by- it was still there. I start BSing w/ him and offer him $20 for it, he countered w/ $30, and we settled on $25. That was well worth the time and offer/counter offers AND he didn't get pissed that I offered him a low figure.
    People need to realize that the economy effects us all, and trying to hawk your wares at 2005 prices doesn't work.

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Here's a pic of the $5000 Model A Coupe. No surprise it went so fast!!

[​IMG]

6. bava17

bava17

hey scotto,
    thanks for the pic.
    that does look good for 5K.
    i would be really, really surprised if that didn't sell on friday.
    steve

7. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Forgot to post a pic of our finds.....Only managed to make it on Sat, but really enjoyed the meet and the weather was fantastic!!!!. Missed out on a small aluminum column drop/mount that we need, and a set of hairpins that I shouldve bought for parts.....DOH.

[​IMG]

plus the 5 buck tie rod. And the Merc wheels, Ford beauty rings, Arrow headlights, and F-1 shock mounts from Tracy Ledford. Bit by bit......

Louie