Register now to get rid of these ads!

RIP HAMBers

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by adjustablejohnsons, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Each year about one percent will pass away. There are 93,000 members on the HAMB. That is a huge number of names each year. Most of those who pass will go un-noticed by the group.

2. Just got slammed in the heart, C9. Didn't know. He helped me.
    God help all of us in our times of need and rest.

3. nutajunka

nutajunka

Dying sucks! Let's all just pray they are in a better place...;)

4. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I think it sounds like a good idea as well. RIP HAMB'ers.

5. We lost Joplin (Jerry) and Weekender (Tommy McCray) a few years back. Many will remember their Henry Js at the first HAMB drags.

6. I think Joplin was the first to kind of "Hit home".
    I've been part of this board since 1998 & I never would have guessed we would some day be facing (and feeling) the loss of anyone involved.
    It boggles the mind, really.

7. HI to all! this is Deb-C9's fav. 2nd. daughter.:) Anyhow Sweetie (a.k.a. mom) and I think this would be a great idea 2 have memorial 4 all that we have lost. btw first weekend in May we have a Fun-Run here, we're taking the 32 out w/ ashes for Daddy's last ride or I guess it would be better to say He will always be cruisin Rte. 66, gotta go , still flowin' tears, I will visit again soon.

8. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

At my VFW we have a dry erase board by the door that says Sick Call and our friends are listed there.

9. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

A formal listing of those who have died seems a little macabre to me. I think it would get unwieldy and does'nt have a place on the HAMB. I would prefer that we mourn outside of this traditional hot rod site.

Mike

10. Ashcraft

Ashcraft
    from Colorado

On another board I belong to, once it is confirmed that a member has passed on, one of the admins changes their title to Member Emeritus.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think I like this... a lot... classy, understated, and respectful.

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

BDRAKE(Bill Drake)

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I completely agree....A perfect classy header name.

14. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I vote for this, too. Very classy.

15. Ashcraft

Ashcraft
    from Colorado

Actually, I'm one of the admins on the aforementioned board.

We lost a high profile member in a tragic house fire back in 2004, up in northern Colorado. That's when the tradition was started.

We always confirm through obits and family before we change it, though. There are some sick people on the net.

16. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

"Member Emeritus"

I was thinking about something like that today when I saw the JohhnyFast RIP-topic go by.
    Perhaps the usertitle could be changed to something more obvious. I'm not certain the term above would be 'clear' enough for everyone (I wouldn't be for me, but maybe because I'm Dutch), it might lead (newer) folks to still give replies to deceased ones in somewhat older topics perhaps.

Perhaps it would be possible to (also) change the username of a deceased into something with a more obvious sign in front or behind it, like this -> † (alt + t on a Mac.)

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its aways a touchy subject, something that has been a big issue not only here but also having been a soldier one always looses mates and the right way to remember a fallen friend can be a great help to we left mourning their passing.
    I seriously like the 'Member Emeritus' like others have said, simple, classy and sums it all up succinctly.
    Keeping all of their info on the site is also a great move. I spent a lot of time talking with C9, he helped me get my 'shit' together and helped me greatly with writing my 'memoirs' of my time in the service and in combat.
    He was a huge help to me and I may even have a book published as a direct result from his constant 'pestering' and 'interfering'.
    Though I must say that the biggest upshot from his help was to get ME right. To get me to work through the issues I had by helping me to wright them down and work through them. Until Jay helped me it came awful close to me being a 'passed HAMBer' as well, his helping hand saved my arse and Christ don't I miss the man. I like that his profile and his posts are still here, I do find myself reading through them from time to time, it helps. Even this supposed tough Ex Special Forces Soldier has a weeping eye when I do, its part of my therapy to get through, to remember.
    Iguess what I'm saying is,
    Keep the profile of lost members,
    Keep there old posts,
    Have them as 'Member Emeritus'.
    Never forget.

Doc.

18. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

X2. I'd like to think that someday my kids, or their kids, will be able to read some of my posts.

19. skoh73

skoh73

X3.
    Just because someone is gone, we should not forget the wisdom, knowledge, or humor that they have shared with the rest of us with their posts. I fully support the "Member Emeritus" suggestion for the reasons posted above.

20. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

X 4 Nice mark of respect from Fellow hotrodders, I know we can't dwell on the past and need to 'move on' but it would be a fitting tribute to those that have posted and passed to be remembered in this way.

my 2c

Keith

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  21. Dirtroad just passed, you can read his 32 quest on the main board

22. ...doc...

...doc...
    from Houston

thank you fuzzface for not forgetting my cousin, HotRodTodd

this is a great idea, thank you Ryan