Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Weird question-Munsters Koach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Comet, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Ok, probably not really on topic, but I've been searching the net and can't find an answer to this. Why is the rear door in several pics of the Munsters Koach yellow? I know Barris had several clever elements on this car and the Dragula, but I can't figure this one out. It's just meaningless trivia, but it's bugging me.

http://www.munsterkoach.com/preshow1.htm

BTW, the only car that looks good with spider-web motifs IMO.;) Ok, Elvira gets a pass too:D

2. Howdy Comet- G.B was into family crests- could it be a hangover reference to the crests painted on royal coach doors in horsey days? ( Go to the source..)

Also remember the T44 Bugatti with the coach- like brougham body- black with a yellow door ? Matchbox did it as a die cast model in the 'Yesteryear' series. Maybe ?

3. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I asked Georg Barris at the Salina lead sled show that question and he said it is made of wood.They didn't have a door so they made it from wood.LOL, I don't know if he was bsn me but that is what he said.

4. pittsburgholdschooler

pittsburgholdschooler

The Koach's rear most doors were covered in a fabric/mesh deal...high end horse drawn coaches had this...Barris took the styling cue from those, I imagine...:cool:

5. RodStRace

RodStRace

Here is a close up

Attached Files:

6. Ohh, it's wicker. Ok, so now I know. Thanks for all the responses.

7. historynw

historynw

I liked the Marylin pictures best she was a hottie.

8. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

What??? she was the ugliest one in the family.:D

9. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I have seen old horse-drawn carriages in a museum. Many of the high end carriages had basketweave painted onto the doors. It was carefully pinstriped and if you look closely you can see the criss crossed lines. The effect is actually pretty nice.

10. Al Low Ha

Al Low Ha

Rolls Royce used wicker too!

11. alsancle

alsancle

He is trying to mimic this which was a technique on very high end formal town cars in the 1925 to 1932 era or so.

[​IMG]