Register now to get rid of these ads!

40 ford axel/f-1 brakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotroddub, Feb 9, 2010.

1. ive found a good 40 axel but it doesnt have any spindles or brakes. could i get f-1 spindels to work?
    thanx for any help

2. I think you have to use the F1 axle bushings turned down to fit the 40 axle and use the F1 king pins, There may be a spacer or maybe it was some grinding involved. I think the big hurdle is bending the axle end when you're done. All this is just my faulty memory. I'm sure the issue has been addressed here but if you just can't find it here go find Tex Smith's book How to Build a Hot Rod. I know it's in there. Good luck.

3. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I think EWM&N is thinking about the F100 spindles that were 53 onward.
    Should go right on IF its pre-53 F1 and not F100.
    The Doane Spencer Roadster is using F1 spindles on a 32 axle.

Make sure the kingpin you use is the right length to engage the spindle bushings completely.

To help ID in case you didn't actually see the donor truck...the F1 spindles will have a bolt in steering arm on the left and a 1 piece spindle/steering arm on the right.
    Also the F1 axle itself won't have the extra dip for the oil pan that an F100 axle will have.

4. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

I have the F1 part shown in the picture for sale in the classified right now. Let me know you need any measurements.

Attached Files:

5. TERPU

TERPU

F-1 brakes will slide right on '28-'48 Ford Car and truck axles. '48 truck of course being the first F-1.

Tim

6. kustoms36

kustoms36

7. It wouldn't be the first time I got confused and wandered off,:D.

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I know the feeling...we might have passed each other in the hallway! Hahaha

9. How timely. I just got offered a set of F-1 spindles and I wasn't sure if they would go on the '40 Ford axle that I already have.

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Note the kingpins for 48-52 F1 are the same as 42-48 Ford Cars and 42-47 Ford Pickups. They also share tie rod ends and many other small parts.

11. thanx guys think ill go ahead and get it cuz the guy has about 3 49 f-1's! slip them on their and go.