Register now to get rid of these ads!

Harness and Fuse Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by classicdreamer, Feb 10, 2010.

1. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Good Morning Hambers on this Beautiful Snowy Day in NY.
    Was wondering about the differences between all of the different companies and their harness/fuse block. I know painless and many others offer options. What is the differences and how to justify the cost difference. I am getting ready to rewire my 54 chevy pickup. Going to 12v. Motor is a 327. Running original mechanical 54 chevy gauges. What do you guys use and why?
    Thanks Andrew

2. For you the easiest would be the American Auto wire upgraded for that truck. Cheapest woud be Rebel. More work involved to install. Several hundred dollars savings. On either harness you will have to adjust for the Amp gauge use. You'll have to furnish a voltage drop for the gas gauge and heater if you use a 6 volt heater. Thats just MHO

3. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Rebel wire for sure, hes a hamber, Glenn33.

Painfull stuff isnt as good as they claim and their customer service is worse than their product, my professional opinion.......

4. Another vote for American auto wire. HRP

5. or go to Pick r part and get an 80's Chrysler fuse block for 10 bucks and wire it up yourself..............

6. Hell Yes......wiring kits are way over rated and priced...

7. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are many good wiring kits on the market, so the best thing to do is get a catalog from each of them, take some time comparing their features, the accessories they offer, and base your decision on some factual data rather than just opinions, even mine! I have used Ron Francis, and will use that company in the future, for several reasons. I like the option of running wires to the fuse block of my choice, the large assortment of accessories R F sells that are of the highest quality, and the excellent customer service I have received. I found the price differences fairly close, although I don't use price as the highest priority in anything I buy, because more often than not you get what you pay for. Keep in mind wiring is one of the most important/critcal steps of a vehicle build. IMO.
    Bob

8. Bob Dobolina

Bob Dobolina

Painless. Not the cheapest , but it's what i'm used to, and the stuff flat works. Have had a couple of "experiences" with some of the cheaper stuff & some of the crimps/terminations at the fuse panel were scary at best.
    Wiring is not the place to cut corners, IMHO....

just my .02

9. bentwings

bentwings

I gotta go with Painless. I did 3 of them for customers last year and support is extremely good.

I have Painless in my Willys

RF has some cool accessories.

10. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I agree with Bob. I bought a project car that has a Ron Francis wiring kit in it. The wiring was maybe half done. I called RF and told them the story. They sent me a wiring diagram and answered some questions over the phone. The quality of the kit is good and their customer relations are tops.

11. HotRod33

HotRod33

check with Glenn33, the rebel wiring harness is a good product... he's a hamber and has good product support.....

12. usmile4

usmile4

I'll vote for Rebel also. Their support is excellent and the wire is American made a labeled nice.

13. billy zz

billy zz

14. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

I spoke with glen earlier. Think I am going to go with the rebel. My gauges were already conveted to 12v. He suggested a 9+3 set-up. I dont plan on running AC or a heater. Just the bare minimum. Thank you guys for all your help and guidance. I appreciate it!