Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tiny alternator ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NiceFloor, Feb 8, 2010.

1. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

I am trying to fit my engine in an Indy/speedster project. Its a single seater and the frame is real narrow. Anyone know of a very small diameter 12v alternator? Engine is too wide with the stock alternator. The one I have is only 5 1/2 inces in diameter and thats too big. need something around 4" or less.

Something modern would be fine - I just don't know whats small.

Any ideas?

Thanks -

2. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Mount the alternator to the differential pinion. Thats how I would do it.

3. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

4. ibcalaveras

ibcalaveras

A late 80s suziki samari has a small alternator.. Have one on my Tee works great....:cool:

5. Small tractors have small alternators.

6. kubota tractor atl . half the size as a car atl . 60 amp 12 v

7. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

check the circle track ads-someone [speedway motors?]sells an alternator that mounts behind water pump pulley

8. Fork truck. Nipondinso (sp) Put one on a sbc in a 32 worked great. Output is low.

9. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

+1 - this is a really slick way to do it. Google racemate alternators

aint cheap but will kill two birds for ya

10. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

FLOOR...man i thaught my son had problems with his 27T. and HAULER you REALY think out of the box. HUMM but i likey you crazy mixed up kid. and i thaught i was nut's! HA!...POP.

11. duke182

duke182

a few years back a friend of mine needed one for his racecar.

he solved the search by using one off of a semi trailer reefer unit. very small but effective.

12. Mizlplix

Mizlplix
    from S/W USA

Yah, as said above...Small tractors. The JD 4110 has a Kabota engine in it. The alt is a permanent magnet type and is VERY small and narrow front to back. get the regulator for it too. It has a "A" section Vee belt pulley on it.

13. Piper106

Piper106

The alternator that they show for the chevy application looks a lot like the Toyota fork truck alternator they show elsewhere on their site.

Piper106

14. NiceFloor

NiceFloor
    from Albany, NY

That racemate waterpump alternator is very cool.....they don't make for for my engine but I would use that.

The unit from db-starter might work - thanks KrisKustom.

Also going to check into the Tractor stuff......if I can get a bit smaller, that would be great. I will post up sime pics of what I'm doing soon.

15. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Some four stroke snowmobiles have small v-belt driven alternators. Check your local Arctic Cat or Polaris dealer.

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Check out a upull it yard ,some of these new foreign jobs have small alternators ,

17. 972toolmaker

972toolmaker
    from Garland Tx

1970's era mazda trucks used really small alternators lots of home built airplane use them. Go to any parts house when they aren't busy and browse with your friendly parts guy. Good luck.

18. shitron 2cv has a small alt get the reg aswell

19. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

what engine are you running? did you see their 'other' link? Also, this idea is sorta simple, I beleive using a motorcycle type stator - might be able to fab up your own without too much trouble. I was planning to do this, then I found Racemate - Ill see if I can find the info and writeup stuff I had begun to research - it was a long while ago.

20. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

'92 & '93 Pontiac Sunbird.

Jim

21. McGuireV10

McGuireV10
    from Jax,FL

My Generac whole-house generator is a Honda 1.6L inline four, but it uses some tiny little alternator with no obvious brand name on it. Doesn't make much power (no accessories on a backup generator, of course) but I doubt you'll need much. Might be worth researching.

22. Search 12180NSE. Small Kabota alternator. One wire. I have seen them rated at both 35 and 45 amps.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  23. designs that work

designs that work

On epay multiple sellers of Nippon Densa Type mini alternators. I run one on my modified. At nite this 45 amp alternator at idle will not keep up with two headlights, one taillight and a electric fan. Its your call.

24. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

not fond of the racemate thingies, they tend to overheat, are very low charging rates, and somewhat unreliable.

25. You need the Ducillier alternator - the Femsa fitted to some 2CVs is not particularly small. Output of either is only 20 amps. The fork lift truck alternators are a better bet.