Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Can We get a "Survivor" Thread!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by LVHotRodder, Feb 7, 2010.

1. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Here's a few First is a old Truck that was built in 1957 or so and driven for a few years. The Brothers built it with a 265ci Chevy and 3 speed 55 olds rearend and painted to match there 55 Chevy Belair,49 merc dash and seats out of cabover. It was put into the garage to toss in a 283 and glide and sat till a few year ago. We call it Krause :D Woodpecker and just getting her back on the road and changing only safety issues. It took us a full day to unload the garage were she was in. Krause was parked in 1961 and took her out two years back ,so sitting for over 45 years:eek:

Attached Files:

2. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

[​IMG]

This old thing was raced in Texas in the 50s and 60s as Hot Rod Olds, had an Olds motor once, obviously, chopped by someone less than talented, please help me find some history on her.

3. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The 1932 coupe was built in 1950's or so and driven till the mid 1970's were the rearend was pulled because of noise. It was pulled into a corner of the dock of the owners shop. This is were it sat for over 35 years when the owners buddy and his mechanic took the rerend out and he passed away. The coupe is super solid and was painted and striped in the 50's and that when the 51 pontic taillights were added along with the other lights and twotone interior,40 ford wheel, leaf springs heated and bentup ,juice brakes,51 merc motor with a old warshawskis merc kit that has risers for the merc waterpumps. I'll have to dig up the photos when we took her out of the dock. Here's a few I found today:D

Attached Files:

WC145, 54harvester and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  4. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

This post clearly answers another by Larry about why you would want to build a rusty car. Posterity demands we keep a few as they were, because
    after they are blasted and primed and painted you can never go back to the way they really were. These are just as beautiful in their present state as any shiny one I've ever seen. Not knocking the shiny ones, just able
    to see the beauty that once was even today

jimgoetz likes this.
  5. 31fordV860

31fordV860

You said it ....!

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

Well Fleetbob50, I disagree. Larry's question about if you "want to build a rusty car" is about building cars. If a car is currently being built, it is certainly not a survivor, is it? It can't be both.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  7. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Here's mine in Car Craft 1957 and the way it looks today.Pat Ganahl is doing a book on survivor cars that's supposed to be out in November or December of this year.My car is going to be in it and a 29 Roadster pickup that I seen on the H.A.M.B. and can't find the thread now.

Attached Files:

WC145, Mitchell de Moor and Spooky like this.
  8. S.F.

S.F.

WOW cool story man!!! too bad it was vandalized... but it looked DAMN GOOD when I saw it at Good guys!

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

sounds like a line from a prison movie!:eek::D

Spooky likes this.
  10. S.F.

S.F.

Thanks man, I still have the slots. But with in 5 seconds of seeing the car in the barn for the first time and realizing it had slots on it, I decided right there before I even bought it that I was going to change the wheels. I have another set of wheels for it with moon caps that Im going to run on it too. In the 50's it ran merc wheels with moon caps and "ambulance" tires out back. The slots were put on it sometime around 1970, he bought them brand new with new tires...then he parked it for 35 years.

11. S.F.

S.F.

and you'd never think its HEMI powered!!!! Bitchen!!!

12. c57heaven

c57heaven

I like the Krause woodpecker. Nice plate too.
    This whole thread is what it's about.

13. S.F.

S.F.

I owned this old altered for a minute. Built in 1963 and Raced by "Wild Bill'' It ran a Nailhead, then a 405 horse 406 Ford. It went through a bunch of engines. Several times it did 150 MPH in the quarter. Been sitting there since 1969, it was in bad shape.

Attached Files:

14. hotrod36

hotrod36

I let out a few tears reading the story from thepakid1932. I love old family history...

15. jim galli

jim galli

Now this is an example worth discussion. Dream car right, but a lackluster build from the mid to late '60's. That interior is vomit. So if you got it, do you leave it alone because it's a "survivor"? Or do you make something neat out of it?

16. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

I figured you probably changed them out to match the period....those old slots have enough oxidation on them where they really didn't look out of place, certainly didn't scream 70's....the moon discs and ambulance tires sounds cool...great find.

17. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

That was a bit strong....but funny.

18. I agree. That's the stuff people dream of. Story made my day.

19. oilcangarage

oilcangarage
    from N. Spokane

Man.. I think I would have to leave it.. if it isnt infested with something. It tells a story that doesnt need a new ending.

20. THATS in Spokane?? Were the fuck have I been??

21. jim galli

jim galli

Had a lotta fun looking through the stuff on your web pages :D:D Good thing I don't live close.

22. One of my favorite topics. The chopped and channeled 36 pickup is still pretty much the same now as it was when I first acquired it many years ago, that will be one of the next projects I plan to start after a decade of collecting parts.
    Chris, the PNW rods are awesome, (I sure miss that part of the country) Paul has a couple of my favorites for sure.

Attached Files:

23. break out the hounds!

24. No time to scroll through it all, I'll just go ahead and subscribe, this will be a good one!

25. jpbanjo

jpbanjo
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Here's my restored beater from the "good old days". Built it in '58, parked it in '64 and put it on the road again in '98 just the way it was in '64. Still running the original engine, running gear, paint and upholstery.
    Driving it nowadays, I wonder how the car that I thought was so wonderful back then, now drives like the primitive teenager constructed beater that it was. Rough riding,heavy steering ,so so brakes, lots of rarttles, wind noise, and door gaps. What's not to love about these old hot rods?

[​IMG]

Added a hood, chopped the windshield and improved the stance a little by 2001.
    [​IMG]

26. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

Few of mine :) Anyone see this 34 ? Guess it run around Vegas :confused:

Attached Files:

54harvester likes this.
  27. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

My favorite subject. I love original cars wether stock or hot rods!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. lorodz

lorodz

who owns this car i always wonderd what happend to it ..thats the red baron.it the car that really got me going on my first 29 model A
    [​IMG]

WC145 and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  29. kisam

kisam

Here's one and yes it still has the V-12 in it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

54harvester likes this.