Register now to get rid of these ads!

55 Buick gas-pedal-start with alternator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by McGuireV10, Feb 9, 2010.

1. McGuireV10

McGuireV10
    from Jax,FL

I'm switching out my 55 Buick's generator for a GM single-wire alternator.

I am looking for information about how to retain the gas pedal starter functionality. (In old Buicks, you don't turn the key to start the engine. Instead, you push the gas pedal. Full press for a cold start, or partial press if the engine is warm.)

I found this article and the guy references AACA members as being helpful, but ultimately the article winds up with "I haven't done this yet." I e-mailed him awhile back and he didn't have anything to add.

Here is the article:
    http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/PushGasToStartWithAlternator.htm

It's certainly very detailed, and I'm OK with the rest of the conversion - but how do I retain the gas pedal starter functionality? I'd hate to lose such a cool little feature. The speculative re-wiring described here sounds pretty good, but is it correct? Has anybody else done this?

2. I did it on my '55, but it's been a long time ago. Mid 80's. It entailed changine some wiring on the small relay at the left skirt above the voltage regulator. IIRC there were two ways it would function, but one it would not turn off when the key was shut off.

Also, you need a load like a 194 bulb, that too was an issue with charging and shut off of the engine IIRC. I would make you a diagram, but as I 've posted here earlier, I have stripped my 55 of all original components and am reframing and repowering mine. I already trashed all the old wiring so I can't see what I did back then.

But it can be done, I did the wiring hacks in one night a in the bay if the fire station that I worked out of.

3. McGuireV10

McGuireV10
    from Jax,FL

Yeah that article I linked to had some speculation about using a resistor to provide that load (which I'd prefer over a light bulb... it would be just my luck that the bulb would blow or break while I was in the middle of nowhere).

After doing more reading, I'm also starting to wonder if a three-wire alternator might be a better choice for this than single-wire.

4. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are right in thinking the 3 wire hookup is better, at least on the GM 10SI/12SI, the most popular OE and aftermarket alternators. A diode, not a resistor, is used with or without an idiot light for 12V activation and positive engine shut down when the ignition is off. Open the link below and you will find a large amount of info that Mark Hamilton has put together on this subject with all the pros and cons of one wire/3 wire operation, as well as design info on the GM units. These GM alternators are one of the least complicated items to wire, and will perform as they were designed if wired correctly. The one wire setup was intended for stationary/industrial applcations where their main funtion was to just recharge the battery, not power a complicated vehicle electrical system. IMO.

Bob

http://www.madelectrical.com/