Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need pic of stock 56' olds 88 exhaust system.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brandon11130, Feb 8, 2010.

1. brandon11130

brandon11130

trying to figure out how I want to do this exhaust but i havent been able to find how the stock system was routed. When i bought the car it just dumped from the stock manifolds.

hamb, bing, and google image gave me nothing. Thanks guys i appreciate it. Anything will work, any underside shots whatever.

2. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Hi Brandon, I have an old 50-60 Chiltons manual that may show some pics.
    Are you looking for manifold back pic's or what? Dual or single exhaust.
    I'm looking for a pair of stock '56 dual exhaust manifolds, or might settle for
    a single exhaust set that used a cross over pipe.
    Mine is for a hot rod application not in an Olds car.

3. brandon11130

brandon11130

theres a 3rd pipe coming of the manifold dumping exhaust into the cab, its like a 1" pipe with a 90 degree angle cut in the end, points straight down. It dumps just around where the right and left side manifolds meet. im assuming it needs to be plumbed into the exhaust? unless it was for something else or for a part i dont have? ive seen setups where the exhaust was used to heat the carb? just not sure what this little 1" pipe is for?

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Where is it coming from?
    Most likely Crankcase ventilation... usually not plumbed into the exhaust

5. brandon11130

brandon11130

its a 324 rocket, shouldint the only ccv be the one on the front of the motor?

i couldint get the best look (dark + 2 ft of snow) but it looked like it was coming off the passenger side exhaust manifold

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

A lot of the old engines had what were called draft tubes. They hung down under the car and the end had a 90 degree on them.

It usually comes off the back of the engine, the Buicks it came off the back of the valley.

Check it out. I'm thinking this is what you have. And if it seems like you have exhaust coming out then you most likely need some rings.

7. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Stop looking for '56 "dual exhaust" manifolds--they don't exist, to my knowledge. I've seen cars that should have come with duals from the factory, and there was always a blockoff plate over the front of the passenger side manifold with the headpipe exiting out the rear.

8. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

BRANDON...If you have an EXAUST pipe going to the CARB. then call the F.B.I. because somebody is trying to KILL you! HA! good greff i need a 6 pack...POP.

9. brandon11130

brandon11130

haha thats probably it, havent had a chance to run a compression test on the cylinders yet but well see. it does only really smoke out of there until its warm

no smoke comes out of the exhaust when i rev it or drive it just out of that tube. the floor has a few holes around where that pipe exits and the cab just fills up with smoke.

it didn't smell like nasty oil burning smoke, it just looked like cold exhaust smoke with that all too familiar exhaust smell.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  10. brandon11130

brandon11130

I had a 66 cj5 with a dauntless 225 oddfire v6 that had tubes on the exhaust manifold that transfered heat to the carb, thats what gave me the idea haha