Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shoebox Ford Steering problems...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Hi guys!

I'm working on a '50 Ford that has a funky steering problem.

When you drive down the road, and make a turn, the wheel doesn't return back to center.

We put power steering on the car, and it still does it... in fact, it's even more noticeable.

The front end has fat man dropped spindle uprights... lowered springs, ECI disc brake kit... and a a power steering kit... with a 605 box, KRC pump... etc.

The car has been set up with 4 degrees caster...

To me, that should be enough.

I was thinking there could possibly be something wrong with the new fat man steering arms... if they messed with the ackerman, the inside wheel could possibly not have enough rise...

The alignment guy pulled everything loose, and said the front end moves freely... and says it's something in the box.

The power steering guy says it's because we used a KRC pump and it doesn't have enough pressure.

I think they both might be wrong... power steering systems work on FLOW not pressure... and the thing turns fine when you are parking, so I think the system is fine.

Also... power steering boxes do not use pressure to return back to center. The assist is only to turn.

I dunno, anyone else have this problem?

Sam

2. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

you have toe out

3. Is there too much toe out? Or not enough?

Sam

4. mottsrods

mottsrods

either toe out, or the fat man kit wasn't installed diagonally plumb

5. chop32

chop32

Stock specs for a shoebox call for some toe in, so it sounds like he is saying you have too much toe out. I believe my '49 called for 3/16" toe in stock and returns to center with a stock box and Fat Man spindles and arms and the same disc brake kit you are using.

6. thesupersized

thesupersized

king pins too tight?

7. chop32

chop32

They have Fat Man spindles, etc...not a mustang II.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You mention the possibility that "fatman missed on the Ackermann and the arms do not have enough 'rise'.......the primary purpose of Ackermann is to have the inside wheel in a turn to turn more degress than the outside wheel........a secondary effect may increase the 'rise' of that wheel, since it turns farther, but the primary cause of the 'rise' is caster............so 4* or not.......you may not have enough caster.....although the suggestion about toe-out vs toe-in may very well be the answer you seek.

Ray

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  9. PSB

PSB

Hi Sam... I am on the side of more caster.. There could be a Ackerman issue with all these after market parts... but its not this issue your dealing with..

You have tow with in specs, even a if out to far it would aid in turn in and scrub.. But with all these newer parts I say More caster! Shim it up before alignment and just see if it returns better.. If so then re align toe and come out this way so I can see this beauty. Or in dry weather Ill come out your way...I always Loved those cars...
    Good luck and keep us posted.. I had this same issue in my 57 Alfa race car... to much caster fixed.......lol.. but true

10. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

You should have toe in not toe out

11. lets see some pic's of the setup you have.

12. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Anyone with a shoebox should know that the shoebox steering box and Idler are prone to breaking the bolts off the Idler and a plate that is rivetted to the frame rail that the steering box bolts to the rivits shear.it is easy to check .just have some one move the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the steering box if the box moves more than likely the front rivit is sheared.caster or king pins to tight probably your problem

13. dougo

dougo
    from MA

Sam (or anyone else with this problem), I realize this was a while back but did you resolve the steering problem on your 50 Ford? I have a 49 with the same problem, steers hard and the wheel doesn't return to center. I also have Fatman dropped spindles and steering arms, new drag link, idler arm and bushings. Have had it aligned to spec, everything turns fine when it's up on the jig at the alignment shop. Have had the toe-in at 3/16 and even tried toe-out at 3/16 (as stated in the green bible for early 49s). The alignment guy also suggested the box, but no problem with the steering before the dropped spindles.

Doug

14. Just thinking logically, i hope, the dropped uprights spindle is closer to the upper control arm versus being half way in stock. So it seems to me more caster would be needed to compensate.

15. dougo

dougo
    from MA

More caster makes sense and easy enough to do. I'll give it a try.--thanks