Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anybody replaced a swing out winshield with a solid rubber mounted one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by choppershox, Feb 6, 2010.

1. choppershox

choppershox

Ron Harper is selling me a windshield frame that I will glue in. The hinges on ebay sold for over $100....

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  2. choppershox

choppershox

So much for guys with parts that I need. When the time comes to buy, the parts are not available or cannot be had for some time.. Why do they waste their and my time?????????

3. If you glue it in there is a "T" looking rubber (S-10 maybe) you can run around the outside edge, it's not as fat as regular windsheild rubber but it does finish off the glass.

4. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

Heres a random idea. On a 37 Chev pickup that was chopped we cut the glass and used urethane to affix it to the body, much like a modern car, then used urethane again to attach a chromed windshield frame to the glass. Sounds ass backwards I know, but it worked out great. If the glass or frame ever has to be removed you just cut it with fishing line, clean and re-do. The frame was made out of MDF, checked, then made out of solid aluminum. After polishing it was sent out for chrome plating. The rear window was done in the same manner. Heres a link to some pics:

http://www.posiesrodsandcustoms.com/customer_statements/1937-chevy-truck/

5. I had a 34 Ford pick-up without a frame, what I did was weld in a piece of 1/2" square tubing the whole way around the inside keeping it back 1/2" from the front of the body. Next I urethaned in the windshield, I forget what the gap was between the glass and the body but I believe it was about 3/8". What you need is the chevy S-10 windshield rubber, it is "T" shaped. You push it in and it makes a nice transition between the glass and body. My truck was black and it looked real clean. I believe they make two different sizes, I used the smaller one. Sorry I don't have any pictures. You want to have the rubber cut to fit and put it in before the urethane sets up. Most glass shops can do it for you all you need is to have the 1/2" tube welded in correctly. I hope this helps.

6. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

frame is on the way tommarow chopper shox , never thought of cutting the back off it and inserting the glass that way,anyway im glad to see youll have a frame in that hole as opposed to anything else.ill pm you when it hits the road. ron