Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting my SB for my 54 plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sinks88, Feb 8, 2010.

1. sinks88

sinks88

Hey I was looking for some ideas/pics of different non-stock paint schemes for my motor and acc. My Plymouth is made up of a chevy drivetrain and want to stay away from going with stocker colors due to it being a mutt! here is a pic of the car....give me some help in terms of ideas....

My first thought is Gold and Black????

[​IMG]

2. sinks88

sinks88

am I of topic here?

3. Shagrat

Shagrat

My vote: Detroit Diesel Alpine Green
    [​IMG]

4. Otto138

Otto138

Gold block with wrinkle black bracket, valve covers, air cleaner, ect. Would look good with the car pictured. The neat thing about a custom is that it is limited by your imagination, determination and wallet. Good luck with your build.

Otto

5. George

George

Black sheds heat better than any other color. paint most of my engines black or Ford Blue.

6. Ruiner

Ruiner

A gold block is fine, until the thing leaks oil and gas on it, then it looks like absolute shit...a lot of the engine color in a custom depends on the engine bay, to me...do you want to showcase the motor, or hide it? What dress up items are you using on the motor? Is your engine bay wide open or a tight fit?...

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Chrysler painted their engines SILVER for many years assembled less carb, gen, manifolding.

8. sinks88

sinks88

What happens when you get leaks? I've thought about that, then all the old timers said..."good luck finding leaks"

9. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

SINKS88...hell no brother your not of topic! but chevy drive line? you do no MOPAR has real BIG hemi's? HA! i'am just kidding my new friend. but to answere your question. humm, well, let's see, i don't know. CRAP little buddy I GOT NOTHING...POP.

10. George

George

leaks tend to reflect light well. & yes I've found a few.

11. FANTM58

FANTM58

I like the Dodge purple !
    I can not get my pics to upload $#$@$@#

12. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Thinking outside the box?.......How about black block and wood grained covers and air cleaner??????..... Hokey?

13. I've got a gold block and aluminum and black everything else. What isn't cast aluminum I painted black, except for my manifold hold downs and dipstick, those I painted gold.

Oh yeah, clear it, then clean it with windex. I didn't clear mine, and cleaning it sucks.

14. Edsel_Presley

Edsel_Presley

Smooth everything and chrome it all.

15. Paint it silver like an early hemi, and put those phoney valve covers on it . . .

wait, just pull the chevy and put an early hemi it it :rolleyes:

16. sinks88

sinks88

Ya I wish I could have puta Hemi in it....When I win the lotto I guess, the price was right on my SB and I (with help from great friends) will have about 325 HP on a $1000 motor, no too bad....

Carfanatic <script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4887355", true); </script>
    FNG

[​IMG]

<!-- icon and title --> [​IMG] Re: Painting my SB for my 54 plymouth
    <hr style="color: rgb(229, 229, 229); background-color: rgb(229, 229, 229);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Thinking outside the box?.......How about black block and wood grained covers and air cleaner??????..... Hokey?

That would be crazy! I actually just met a guy I bought a 68 magnavox console from that did that too his roof....it looked real good.

17. sinks88

sinks88

hummmm.....maybe just make it look metal....clean it up real good, I mean REAL GOOD and clear it out? just go aircraft style?

18. Coulda done better than $1000.00 for 325 horse with a 360, but hey if you're happy, run it. :D

19. sinks88

sinks88

I wish you could have been around to sell me one of a couple hundred then! It hasnt been easy findin blocks these days, as everybody wants to hold on to them or sell it for too much, and after heads, pistons, intake and everything else $1000 is not that much....esp. now that its "brand new" (ish)

20. Ruiner

Ruiner

You bringing your car to the Messaround? I'd like to take a good look at it and see your new pinstriping...plus I'm a mopar nut...

21. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate
    from California

I usually paint em gloss black. Its a nice clean look you can't go with.

22. RodStRace

RodStRace

Seems you have already been subject to the Mopar guys, so I won't go there this time.
    Black. Big air cleaner, black wires and cap. On customs, you leave the hood down anyway....

23. sinks88

sinks88

Sweet, look for me, so you can tease me and my Belvenstein! JK....I will be doing my best to be there!

24. sinks88

sinks88

Im going Black, its settled! I will show pics here in a few weeks as I get R dropped in!

25. how about pink + lavender? heheh