Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help! 32 ford trunk lid to rumble seat lid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevyfordman, Feb 8, 2010.

1. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to convert a 32 ford roadster trunk lid to a rumble seat lid, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Gunny

Gunny

all the 32 decklids ive seen already had the neccesary mounting points all was needed was the the rumble hardware..maybe someone else can chime in and elaborate a bit..

3. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

It is probably easier to go trunk to rumble, the hardest part is the handle hole has to be relocated plus you have to get the necessary mounting brackets.:cool:

4. The bottom rain gutter is different for a rumble also...

5. Correct,,The bottom rain gutter has to be removed to allow the deck lid to drop down inside the body.

This panel unbolts so if you wanted to you could buy a replacement panel from Brookville Roadsters and not have to cut up the original piece. HRP

6. What HOTRODPRIMER said...

7. rexrogers

rexrogers

We did a rumble seat a while back and the conversion is pretty straight forward once you have all the parts. one thing to consider is if you plan on putting kids back there you might want to have a bear claw latch to keep it locked open a good power stop could send the rumble lid forward and the kids head into the panel above and possibly denting the kids will heal but the car is the main concern. just my two cents.

mechmitch likes this.
  8. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Just a word of caution. The rumble seat was the thing that made me pull the trigger on my sport coupe. I never had one and thought that they were cool. Now...not so much.

They are a PITA if you want to use the car for more than just parades with the grand kids. The cool factor grew old quickly for me.

9. My 32 coupe was born with a truck but the previous owner had to have a rumble lid,and I have already collected the parts to change it back.

I have already lived with a rumble seat in a 39 Ford convert and it was fine when hauling the kids around,,traveling with a rumble seat car was a PITA,,heaving the suitcase up and over the side of the car or the heavy ice chest,tools etc.grew old fast. HRP

10. Fogger

Fogger

I've converted both my original '32 Fords from rumble lids to trunks. Two reasons, unsafe for anyone to ride in a rumble seat and two more and easier trunk access.

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Locating the hole is NOT very difficult :) so the conversion is pretty easy. And like Fogger said ... trunk cars are easier to access ... and can haul MORE stuff. With a rumble lid ... you cannot pack stuff up to the rear panel ... because the lid has to be able to come down in that area.

Both of my 32's are rumble seat cars from Henry. I have another trunk ( complete with hinges ) lid for 20 plus years to change the roadster over and just have not. :eek: I should and I say I am ... just has not happened. I do not want to mess with painting it.

My 3W is also a rumble seat coupe ( most 3W's were rumble I have found ). I considered trying to change it over ( before paint ) but I really like the remote inside rumble seat release ( factory from Henry ) ... It cleans up the rear deck lid. ( no external handle )

[​IMG]

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Rumble hinge kits have been available for the past 40 years from your lcoal Early V8 Ford supplier...Dick Spadaro, Little Dearborn, Scaremento Vintage, etc.

13. jpbanjo

jpbanjo
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa, Ok.

Be careful with the hinges. The deck lids on five window and roadster are the same but according to the new V8 Club '32 Ford book, the cast hinges are unique to roadster. They are close but not the same,
    My roadster came without a decklid but back then I was able to track down a five window rumble lid. It never fit right in the open position. Now I know why. Notice how I had to add to the bumper stops so the lid wouldn't go as far back.
    Deuce roadster, take a look at your hinges and see if you can see a dfference. It's kind of hard to tell but the legs look unequal on this five window hinge but look equal on the pic in the Ford book.

[​IMG]

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Back when the resto-rod thing was in full force about a half dozen guys around here converted their model A's/'32's over to rumble seats. EVERYONE OF THEM has been changed back to trunk lids. A rumble seat is about as useless as tits on a boor hog and anyone who tells you different hasn't ridden in one at anything over 25-30 MPH. Aside from bragging rights for having "one more option" on a restored car the wasted space and inconvenience to carry/load/unload things that are necessary for anything more than a trip down to the Dairy Queen relagate them to the swap meet pile (where a whole new crop of starry eyed entheusiast can learn the lessons all over again).

Frank

15. Andy

Andy

We might work a trade. I have a rumble lid with hinges and would trade for a trunk lid. It has correct roadster hinges.

16. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I can't thank everyone enough for all the pros and cons and where to buy parts and the photos etc. Thank you all so much