Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom bead rolling....lotsa pic's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Nov 25, 2006.

1. wheel shop

wheel shop

here's some interior pics of my aluminum roadster pickup,...made some dies this week to simulate stitching in aluminum

Attached Files:

2. VonWegener

VonWegener

Today I have finally seen it all. Aluminum tuck 'n roll. You Sir are ingenious.
    What a neat idea.....

3. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

nice work. all of it.

4. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

well so much for getting werk done in the shop

this werk here kicks ass.........................

5. Sewn aluminum. That is a trick I have never seen before.

6. wheel shop

wheel shop

worked some more on it last night

Attached Files:

7. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

can you show your dies please?

8. wheel shop

now thats slick...................................:eek:

9. BigWigRaceCars

BigWigRaceCars
    from Austin, TX

Fantastic! Great work man! I have thought before of doing the "stitches", but never took the time to experiment with the dies to get the look I wanted. You nailed it! I'll have to try it now for sure.

10. wheel shop.

That is cool.

11. I'm going to spend a week on the lathe making dies for everything I can think of. I expect to ruin alot of material before I do something that is on the level of these posts.

12. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

WOW ....... some pretty impressive tin roll'n. I have a time running a straight line ......

PACO

13. yardgoat

yardgoat

I have a small bead roller and the metal im using is from and old door off my 1959 Dodge panel.The metal is maybe 22ga. and was wondering if you can heat the metal before rolling it or as you go,because this thing flexes sideways.#1 CHEEP ROLLER#2 Thick metal #3 Bracing cheep roller is in design stage. Im not thinking red hot but enough to help roll with out warping or i cant have it both ways,heat and warping.Thanks........YG:confused:

14. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

no heat will warp it, as you roll the metal it needs to be stretched, heating shrinks it will make a pretzel out of it.

If your roller wont do 22 I'd pitch it. (Sorry) 22 guage is very light material!

15. BigWigRaceCars

BigWigRaceCars
    from Austin, TX

Here's a new set of door & quarter panels I finished last week for a guy in the SAS RennWagens club in the UK.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. yardgoat

yardgoat

Thanks for the reply guys,After i reread my coments on 22ga and yours im thinking i may be wrong,i just took a quess.Iwill go out to the shop and ck with my Starrett standard ga for sheet and plate ,iron and steel #283 and see what this shows.I know the steel on the 59 is thicker than the other i have but dont know how much....22 ga is,thinking now kind of thin so,need to get the facts right,sorry bout that. Love the door panels for a VW.Iwill ck this out better and post this eve,thanks..............YG

17. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

can you answer a few questions please?

main uestion is how do you get the diamonds ?? what rolls do you use??

can you post a picture of your roller?

thnaks
    great werk.....I hope I get half as good as that

18. BigWigRaceCars

BigWigRaceCars
    from Austin, TX

Check back on pg 11 for a picture of my roller.

For the diamonds, I use a tipping die on top and a very shallow V die on the bottom. The tipping die is standard from Mittler Bros or Pro-Tools and the V lower die is custom. I think you can use a soft lower die, like a skateboard wheel, and get a similar effect (still using the tipping die on top).

19. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

20. yardgoat

yardgoat

Bigwig,love your set up:cool:The door metal i was trying to roll a bead in is 18 ga. I am using a L.S.Starrett.Co #283 gauge.Iwas told this is not a sheet metal ga.Now im realy :confused::confused:,i need to know what im working with (ga of metal) before i can ask a correct question.My ga has stamped it it For sheet and plate iron and steel. Am i using the right ga? I went out in the shop and cut a paint thinner can up to make it flat and rolled a half round bead thru it and it went smooth with no problems. I hate the hand crank,do they have kits on making a hand crank roller into a electric powered roller or any info for the gear ratios ect ?Other post on this thread have converted there cranks to electric power from e-bay stuff.Im not worried about the motor or foot feed its the gear ratios im concerned about.Thanks again guys and you alls work is awsome,im sure i can do it in time but i need a good /correct start .................JB

21. yardgoat

yardgoat

Bigwig,love your set up:cool:The door metal i was trying to roll a bead in is 18 ga. I am using a L.S.Starrett.Co #283 gauge.Iwas told this is not a sheet metal ga.Now im realy :confused::confused:,i need to know what im working with (ga of metal) before i can ask a correct question.My ga has stamped it it For sheet and plate iron and steel. Am i using the right ga? I went out in the shop and cut a paint thinner can up to make it flat and rolled a half round bead thru it and it went smooth with no problems. I hate the hand crank,do they have kits on making a hand crank roller into a electric powered roller or any info for the gear ratios ect ?Other post on this thread have converted there cranks to electric power from e-bay stuff.Im not worried about the motor or foot feed its the gear ratios im concerned about.Thanks again guys and you alls work is awsome,im sure i can do it in time but i need a good /correct start .................JB

22. damn! had seen this thread floating around but just checked it out as im going to get some door panels made for my ot truck. didnt relise you could get creative like this. now i want something on them instead of just being flat.
    you guys are great artists.
    Kev, kiwi ingenuity is a great thing, and yourve mastered it. thanks for starting this thread.

23. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

24. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

Wow, talk about inspiration. If I may ask a stupid question-what kind of dies form the raised section, like the first couple pics on the thread, or that V8 door panel?

25. BigWigRaceCars

BigWigRaceCars
    from Austin, TX

That's done with step rolls. It doesn't take much of a step either. On the aluminum stuff, I generally step something around .040 or .050 in .032 material, so just slightly over 1 material thickness. The less you step it, the less it warps, especially when doing the complex designs.

If you don't have step rolls, get something like an .090 or 1/8" set of steps, but you don't have to run them at full depth. That allows you to run two lines close together without squashing the first line.

26. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

Cool, thanks big wig!

27. 65 impala

65 impala

unreal only on the hamb

28. defender chassis

defender chassis
    from WV

Can you provide more detail on the lower die? I have been using the tipping die from my hem set and a lower die from a bead set but am not happy with the effect.

In addition, attached are some pics of some panels I made for a Jr Dragster.

Attached Files:

29. Chairmnofthboard

Chairmnofthboard
    from So Cal

30. ken1939

ken1939

Heck I am not going to try and bead roll now :rolleyes: