Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rebuild or replace?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4 pedals, Feb 6, 2010.

1. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

On general principle, do you rebuild or replace stuff? I was talking with a friend of mine, fellow hotrodder and auto tech about rebuilding my master cylinder this weekend. He can't see doing it himself when I can buy a kit for $18 or a rebuilt for $25.

I do it myself because I know the component fits and works, and I know it will be done right when it is done.

What do you guys do?

Devin

2. on brake parts i buy new

3. I rebuild...

I just can't stomach throwing something out, if it is serviceable.

It's also about the sense of accomplishment...IMHO

4. chevyshack

chevyshack

It all depends on what it is and how much its going to cost to rebuild instead of buying new. Id rebuild a carb but id buy a new altenator or even a starter instead of paying to have them rebuilt.

5. Master of None

Master of None

On brake parts I try to buy new. But on some occations like a set of weel cylinders for a international truck i had to hone and rebuild.

6. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

If the bore has no sign of any pitting or rust I would rebuild, but not the ones that can be bought for 30 dollars new. I don't know that I would trust some 18 yr old rebuilding my brake parts at a rebuilders

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  7. You prefer the 10 year old in China assembling your new wheel cylinders?

8. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Unfortunately I think I do, what would be the option having a 10 year old cast it and machine the rubbers and send them over here for some 16-19 yr old to assemble
    unless you know of some manufacturing plant casting them here it's all being manufactured there and I have used quite a few of the cheap ones and not had a bad one but I have had quite a few defective rebuilt parts

9. If it is something like a master cylinder,I get a new one....if you can get a good new one.If it is something that I know is gonna be Chinese crap and a rebuilt one would be better than a new imported one then I rebuild it.Most new brake parts are imported cheapos so you have to read to see where it was made.

10. Onelow34

Onelow34

I see this everyday in my parts store, anymore it is cheaper to buy a new one but it is true, most are that china made shit. I personally buy new but I try to find a us built one but if I can't I inspect everything on the new one!

11. squirrel

squirrel

depends what it is. Starter on a 50 year old car? I'll probably rebuild it. Wiper motor on a late model? I'll take it apart and see what's wrong...then buy a used one at the junkyard.

Master or wheel cylinder? usually depends on cost of the replacement and condition of my old parts.

12. busch167

busch167

The rebuild kit or rebuilt part (from china?)
    If you have nothing to do other than rebuild the part I would go for it, but if you have lots to do I think you would, in this case, find your time is worth more than $7.00

13. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

I like rebuilding my components, even if I spend more time and money chasing down the stuff, it's part of the fun in having an old jalopy!

14. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I rebuild because I am cheap to begin with. I enjoy this hobby and since i do it for a living there is little I can't do. My buddy who disagreed with me doens't enjoy the repair portion of it, he just wants to go fast. He figures his labor at shop rate on his own cars, I figure my labor as peaceful time in my own garage. I rebuilt the starter in my truck a while back, because I knew it would fit and work when done. A new commutator was $60, a rebuilt starter was not to be found. Add brushes and bearings to that, it will be good for the rest of my life.

Devin

15. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I had my mastercylinder rebuit ,Its fine ,I would send it out though ,If it needs to be resleeved ,They will know.I wouldnt suggest a new one .Because an original american part is hard to find ...Rebuilt a wheel cylinder myself one time ,To save some coin and a week later was leaking again .Honed and new cups and seals.

16. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

^^^^^This...

Me, I'm stupid. I'll rebuild something just to learn better how it works. Or just for the "fun" of it. I'll take on more than I should. It makes me a better whatever (car builder, customizer, mechanic, hot rodder, whatever).

Besides, rebuilding a component myself lets me know it's right. How many times have you bought a piece only to discover it's no good? In most cases, repop parts or chinese rebuilt parts just plain suck.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  17. When I was a lot younger and poorer I tried to use secondhand shit and rebuild stuff.These days parts are a lot cheaper and saves fucking around with parts some people should not touch like brake parts.

18. jalopys

jalopys
    from El Paso TX

I would buy new and use the extra time fixing other needed repairs.

19. Heo

Heo

I have rebuilt so much shit in my days so its not
    fun anymore so can i find new quality stuf i buy
    new. Preferably oem parts not minding the cost
    and use my time fabricating stuff you cant buy

20. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Before I did anything, I'd take it apart and check the condition of the bore. If it's fine then new seals in a rebuild kit will do fine. If it looks edgy then a new one is in order....for me.

There are very few mechanics anymore...just parts changers.

PS These are my own cars and not customer cars...there is a big difference.

21. Me too unless they are not available new or refurbished. I haven't rebuilt a master that I could replace since the early '80s. Its just not cost effective. Pretty much the same with wheel cylinders.

I have lined a few sets of shoes on the really old stuff that is riveted but if I can get good bonded shoes then I just replace them as well.

Other than that if I can rebuild it more often than not I rebuild.

22. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

i agree with heo, in my younger days it didn't matter what it was, tore into it and rebuilt the part, now i am a lot older and a little wiser, i will buy a quality new part and put it on, when you are building hot rods it makes more sense to spend time building and not rebuilding.