Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 chrysler town and country wagon. anybody have one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john walker, Feb 1, 2010.

1. john walker

john walker

i just bought a 1954 chrysler town and country wagon with a 331 hemi 4bbl. it needs a bit of floor work, but it's pretty complete, except for a right rear rock guard. ran 6 years ago, so should run again. it has a 235hp badge on the left front of the hood and left rear panel below the tailgate that i've never seen before. only about 1100 were made apparently. i'd like to keep it rather stock looking, but maybe lower it a bit and change the wheels. maybe chrysler wire wheels. anyone here working on one? the pic posted is not my car, just one off google.

Attached Files:

2. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Hey John,

Pictures! Sounds like a cool car.

Brian

3. john walker

john walker

it's still up in arlington wa, where i bought it. i have no room for it in the shop, but i'll figure it out soon. i've been looking for a cool wagon, so maybe this is it. gotta rod it just a bit, but real subtle like.

4. john walker

john walker

must be rare. just looking for ideas.

5. A friend of mine has 5 Chrysler wire wheels for sale. I know these cars are fairly rare, but they are advertised alot...see ebay for example. I'm always looking at ads for my classic car marketing sideline, parts shouldn't be a major problem.

Murph:cool:

6. john walker

john walker

that '53 looks good all black. wire wheels would top it off.

vintageauto, what does your friend want for his wires? wagons are 6X5.5", same as imperial.

7. John,

I sent you a PM with his contact info...Wheels are nice...Painted..not chrome.

Murph

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Being painted wheels the chances are they are Dodge or DeSoto rather than Chrysler, slightly different in hub style and spoke pattern but hubcaps fit all.
    They have the same bolt pattern, 5 on 4 1/2" cicle, on all except the Imperial wheels, 5 on 5 1/2 circle, which fit early Fords.

9. john walker

john walker

yeah, i need the larger 5.5" bolt circle for the wagon.

10. Not a '54, but HAMBr johnl has this 1955 New Yorker Deluxe Town & Country Station Wagon in his stable of Chryslers:

'55 NYer DeLuxe T&C Wagon - 01.JPG
    '55 NYer DeLuxe T&C Wagon - 02.JPG
    '55 NYer DeLuxe T&C Wagon - 03.JPG
    '55 NYer DeLuxe T&C Wagon - 04.JPG
    '55 NYer DeLuxe T&C Wagon - 05.JPG
    '55 NYer DeLuxe T&C Wagon - 06.JPG
    '55 NYer DeLuxe T&C Wagon - 07.JPG
    '55 NYer DeLuxe T&C Wagon - 08.JPG
    '55 NYer DeLuxe T&C Wagon - 09.JPG
    '55 NYer DeLuxe T&C Wagon - 10.JPG
    '55 NYer DeLuxe T&C Wagon - 11.JPG
    '55 NYer DeLuxe T&C Wagon - 12.JPG
    '55 NYer DeLuxe T&C Wagon - 13.JPG

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  11. john walker

john walker

shades of "sky king". "out of the blue of the western sky comes sky king", and his neice penny.

12. pascal 58

pascal 58
    from amsterdam

Hi John,

My name is Pascal 58. I'm from Amsterdam, the Netherlands. I have a Chrysler town & country wagon 1954. I bought this car in the US and I received it recently after his transport to Europe.

A friend of mine draw a picture of how we would like the car to look.
    Here a photo and the drawing.
    It needs some bodywork. I will keep him raw.

Pascal

Attached Files:

13. pascal 58

pascal 58
    from amsterdam

Another photo

Pascal 58

14. pascal 58

pascal 58
    from amsterdam

15. pascal 58

pascal 58
    from amsterdam

chrysler 1954

Attached Files:

16. Pasadena,

The wheels are the smaller bolt pattern...4 1/2". Are probably off a Plymouth or Dodge...look the same.

Murph

17. sololobo

sololobo

Wow!! These are spectacular!! That restored 55 is off the hook!! Man a cheep buzz, for a MoPar fan,Thanks, I needed that!! ~Sololobo~

18. john walker

john walker

all right, i like that drawing! can't wait to get rolling on it, but there's still no room to put it. i hate it when that happens.

19. Very nice Pascal, i recently scrapped a 54 Imperial, is your car a 2 or 4 barrel version ?
    Groeten uit Goeree Overflakkee, Hennie

20. johnl

johnl

I'm guessing you are speaking of our '55 NYer T & C shown on this site. It is what we believe to be a 53K example with only cosmetic restoration.

A quick lesson on Wire Wheels for these cars. First, Chrysler wires were not Kelsey as so many state. They were made by MotorRim & Wheel.

There are actually three versions of these. The Plymouth / Dodge version has the lacing at the outer edge like a Kelsey wire used on T-Birds. These are 48 spokes and are a 5 bolt on a 4.5" circle.

Next is the DeSoto / Chrysler example. They are a bit wider and the lacing is set further back but everything else is the same.

Last is the Imperial / Wagon wheel. Once again these are wider with the lacing set back as in the DeSoto / Chrysler version. There are 52 spokes with a 5 bolt on a 5.5" circle. This was the same wheel that Packards used in the era with a different bolt pattern.

Most repors I've seen are done in 52 or more spokes and the hubs are the give away. Hope this information will be of assistance.

21. jbaker

jbaker

22. bgthegreat

bgthegreat

John, my name is Boyd and I am in Glen Arm, MD. I have had a 54 Town and Country that I have been working on for a year now. I Have been trying to replace or repair my tailgate. Rubber seal under the window rotted away and the water settled in the bottom of the door and the rest of the story you know. Front floors are gone. Considering another car with a 125.5 wheelbase for my 54. My engine is the Spitfire flathead 6 that I would love to keep especially when and if I can afford a Edmands manifold. Clearly, if I replace the frame and floorboards, I will get a updated running gear, suspension and brakes. Anyway, there were only 3,000 of these cars made. I am not sure there are many left. Keep me in your loop. I am anxious to follow your progress.

23. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

I have a restorable 1955 Chrysler Town & Country Deluxe Wagon, One of 1,036 ever made, and one of 10 known to exist. I would be willing to sell it.