Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a 62 Mercury Monterey

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Philbilly, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Philbilly

Philbilly

I want to lower my 62 Mercury 2 inches. I did some searching and I noticed most people just cut a few coils up front and put blocks in the rear. I thought about ordering 2 inch drop coils from jamco, but I realize that the stock coils have probably sagged some already. My question it, how do I know if I put those 2 inch drop coils in, that the car will be lower. Surely, the stock coils haven't sagged 2 inches. I have never cut coils before and I know some people says its ok and others don't. I could get a set of coils from jamco for $150 and blocks for $65 and i don't think thats to bad. Could somebody please give me a little feed back on this?

Thanks,

Phil

2. "A few coils" is WAY too much.I cut 1/2 coil on my Vette and it dropped 2 inches.You just can't tell for certain how much it will drop until you cut it.Cut just a 1/2 coil to start with.Dropped coils should show a difference but again, you never know for certain.I put 2" dropped coils on my 56 Chevy and it sits too high,looks stock.
    You can get lowering blocks from Advance Auto a lot cheaper than $65.

3. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

try cutting a 1/4 or 1/2 coil at atime until you reach the desired stance i would put blocks in the back first this way when you reach the ride hight in the front it wount change

4. Philbilly

Philbilly

So y'all saying I should cut coils instead of buying dropped coils? What's the proper technique at cutting coils? I know I should use a die grinder with a cut off wheel. Like I mentioned earlier, I've never cut coils before.

Thanks,

Phil

5. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Use a hand grinder with a cutoff wheel. I agree I wouldn't cut more than half a coil at a time. I once had a customer insist I cut 2 coils off. his friend had told him to because they were new springs and it was skying, so I told him he should do one at the most. he came back with his friend who said take two, so I did we had to lift the front of the car to get it over my lift needless to say he bought new springs

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

You cant be to careful, Sometimes you will need a spring compressor to get them back in.
    I have never messed with a car like yours but the ones I have done which has been few, I put jack stands under the frame under the cowl area, where the wheels, A frames etc are hanging free, remove the shocks,and wheels and tires, then run a safety chain loosely through the center of the spring and around the A frame or something that wont let the spring fly out, taking your head off.
    Bolt the chain together then take the floor jack and jack up under the A frame until tension is off the ball joints.(not lifting the car off the stands)
    After you are sure there is no tension on the top Aframe take the cotter pin out of the top ball joint then take the nut off, then take a hammer and hit the side of the spindle hard where the ball joint goes through,the Aframe and ball joint should lift out after it is broke loose.(be carful not to damage you rubber brake line)

Now hopefully your chain is loose enough to let the spring expand to its full length as you slowly ease the floor jack down.
    Now the spring should be loose or you may need to push the bottom Aframe on down. after the jack lets all the way down.
    Now if the spring is loose you can undo your chain and take it out and do your cut then you can put it back in there, bolting your chain back around it and jack it back up reversing all the steps.
    But most of all be careful!,be careful!,be careful!

If you dont feel comfortable doing this DONT!
    I wouldnt want to be responsible for getting someone hurt.

7. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

A little simple math can be your friend. In most cases most double a arm front ends have the coils about half way between the pivot point and the wheel giving you a 2:1 ratio on what you cut from the spring. What that means is that whatever linear height you remove from the spring will be double at the wheel. So if you cut 1" of spring (from the non flat portion) the car will drop 2". I've done my last 4 cars (64 LeSabre, 66 Catalina, 67 Riviera, and 62 Montery) the same way and it's been spot on first time every time.
    Good luck and have fun!

8. Bent

Bent
    from Canada

Here's a pic to illustrate. Most people are visual and please excuse the crude drawing....hope this helps!

[​IMG]

9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

PhilBilly, please post pictures when your done. '62 Monterey's are few and far between, and I am sure those of us with them would like to see your results.

10. Philbilly

Philbilly

Thank you for the illustration. I am one of those who are visual. This helps a lot.

11. Philbilly

Philbilly

I will. Your'e right, I don't see very many 62 Monterey's.

12. JB204

JB204

I too am trying to lower my 62 monterey, Im probably going to go with these universal 3"blocks ( http://www.softys.ca/shocks_susp/susp_helpers.html ) in the back and have the front springs cut or replaced. Im having my mechanic buddy do it, so it should be done right. I'll update once its done.

13. Cortney

Cortney

I just got my 62 Monterey a week ago and LOVE it!! Cant wait to see yours in the weeds! Be sure to post pictures! And good luck!

14. JB204

JB204

Check out this concept art I did of the look Im trying to achieve, what do you think?
    [​IMG]