Register now to get rid of these ads!

What street/City did you cruise in High School?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 73super, Feb 5, 2010.

1. chopalot

chopalot

Broadway Santa Maria Ca . Mid 80's now its Illegal ! I did hear the Crusin Nationals is going to better this year ...

Chester in Bakersfield was always fun .

2. Rusty52

Rusty52

University Avenue in St. Paul, MN. It's still going on, but the ricer's have taken it over quite a bit. I haven't been there in a few years due to the rif raf.

3. sun down

sun down
    from tx

Galloway in Mesquite Tx.......46 Ford convert
    still cruise it today in My 52 chevy.....

4. Amen....and Broadway was packed tight with 3 lanes of traffic for about 2 miles, make the turn at the bottom of the hill and cruise the 2 miles of another 3 lanes of bumper to bumper hotrods and muscle cars..
    I remember standing on the sidewalk, looking at the wall to wall cars thinking "Man, I need a camera...nobody is gonna believe this shit." Just then 3 Mopars blasted off the light for an impromptu race to the next light. GTX's, 'cudas, GTOs, chevelles and roadrunners.....as common as houseflys in the late 60s-early 70s. I cruised Broadway and 82nd street with either one of these cars

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

The Eat N' Park in Sewickley Pa. was where it was at in '66 & '67 I had a '56 buick I painted metalic burgundy in the skinny 1 car garage......removed the front bumper and painted the undercarriage white......real chick magnet.....good burgers....It was a back east version of Bob's Big Boy.....I had a reverb in the package tray....!!! didn't drag race much but chased girls and went to the drags at "Pittsburgh International Dragway" on weekends...!

6. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Pasadena , CA '63-'67......Colorado Blvd (Bob's Big Boy)...food,girls,cars, fights...not necessarily in that order....Foothill Blvd (Powerine Station)....gas (25 cents a gal), gigs....(50 cents a pack), Sierra Madre Blvd (Pasadena High School)....drag races up past J Allen Hawkins house was friends with his son Ed...'49 Chevy coupe, '51 Chevy coupe, '56 Chevy coupe....WOW...... flash backs.........

7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fresno on the main (Fulton) in the late 50's early 60's and to Stan's drive-in over on H street and main Street in Merced as well-had a lowered silver 57 Pontiac with lancer caps and then chrome reverse wheels in 60--was lot of action in Fresno then--drag race out on Thorne or Snake road as I recall or way out on Blackstone. Would cruise Belmont also over to Mars drive-in--I think about 61-62--and in the summer it was Bass Lake for the dances,party at The Falls or Ducey's Lodge

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Small world, I worked with Al for many years until he died in 1986
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

Wow---------I remember seeing Al's cabriolet all the time growing up in Pasadena. I was on Morty's run a few years ago and there it was ! I think a relative still has it and brought it out. That was the car that got me interested in this whole deal.Thanks for posting the picture,it brings back great memories.

10. dropped53

dropped53
    from Hanford CA

I cruised kings Canyon in Fresno on Sundays and Mooneys in Visalia on Saturdays

11. RatRoy

RatRoy

Draggin Grand in Ponca City Oklahoma, late Fifties and early Sixes in my 39 Ford Tudor. There is now an annual event there called "DRAGGIN GRAND CAR SHOW". Really cool...........:)

12. no55mad

no55mad

Yea, Santa Maria/Broadway in the early 70's - anyone remember all the straight axel cars then? A 4 dr 56 Chevy did a panic stop by the library and the front end collapsed - got towed away:eek:.

Downtown 8th Street and then Ottawa Beach (summer) in Holland Mich, late 60's. That all got shut down too - man that used to be FUN.

13. waltspuffer

waltspuffer

Telelegraph, US 24 and Michigan Ave. Dearborn Michigan....Drive in was the 'Sip and Nip' at Telegraph and Sheridan....it was open all night near Leva Good park [ie] Dearborn pools....I lived a few blocks south near the Dearborn Hills golf course at 600 S. Silvery Lane.....and went 4 years to Wyandotte HS and not Dearborn HS...figure that, drove 13 miles one way every day because of that with a special 13-15 drivers license...the 37 coupe in the driveway became our first A/Altered race car and the forerunner to all the National Champion "Walts Puffer" altereds, roadsters, and funny cars...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

Wright street on the university of illinois college campus! If you built any kind of bad ass car....it had to be cruised on campus to be seen by all gear heads! The cruise became soo famous to out of town people that they used to turn the street lights off on certain streets to keep us from hangin' out and soon after NO Cruising signs popped up!

15. no55mad

no55mad

The wife said she cruised there in late 60's early 70's in her girlfriends 68 Firebird.

16. foghorn62

foghorn62

Pretty sure that's the original one. I'm amazed that one is still there. Cruised it many times in the early 70s, on my way up Plymouth to Telegraph.

Bates is still there though although not open late anymore. Wasn't ever a real cruise spot (to close to the cop shop), but I remember many times cramming into the walkup about the size of a large phone booth at 2:00 AM after the bars closed along with about twenty other drunks to get six with everything.

17. TV

TV

Main st. Ventura Cal. and Chester ave. Bakersfield Ca. as well as State st. in Santa Barbera Ca. Never took a backseat to anything through 1st and 2nd gear. Alexander headed Banger in a 30 A coupe.--TV

18. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

Cruised the Blvd. And the B/Line on our way out to Bailey's Drive IN back in the mid to late 60's. Their was a field across the street from the Drive In, we would park all the Hot Iron there. Remember parking their with my Headers uncapped, waiting for a street race with some one. Those were the day's, alot of people say that they would never go back to those day's, I WOULD GO BACK IN A MINUTE. Du Bois, PA. PINCHER

19. CalGasser

CalGasser

KALAKAUA AVE. (Waikiki) in Honolulu, Hawaii. We'd park when we got tired (or low on gas) and watch the sun burned tourists in matching flower outfits...:eek: Isenberg St. - next to the Honolulu Stadium and Chunky's Drive Inn where races were hustled. Also saw my first '63 426 wedge there - wild! Aloha!

20. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

About the same for me but I lived in Artesia so we'd start out on Bellflower at the A&W stop for a Root Beer (across the street from Mike Salta Pontiac on the other side of the street). We'd cruise over to Firestone and cruise thru Downey to Harvey's Broiler stop and have a Coke there then back to Bellflower. Some times we cruise over to South Gate and shoot a cruise up and down Tweety Blvd.
    This was back in the early 60's but before we got our driver's license (58 to 60) old Charley DeShazer and I would hitchhike over to Bellflower and either walk up and down the street checking out cars or we'd go to a movie (can'r remember the theater name).
    When I came back from the Army I cruised my low and slow '68 Plymouth Satellite up and down but like someone said "wasn't the same".

21. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Cruized 82nd Ave in Portland (surprised no one has mentioned it), it was the largest around, made Car Crafts Mags list... did it until the night the police/ city closed it down..
    Cruized Broadway in Portland
    Cruized the 'Gut' in Vancouver (thought I thought that was Main st, not 99) as it was a loop on 1 way street, from the top (where the burger joint was) down to what may have been a 7-11. then we would head down to Lower River Road for racing.. It was my home town cruize curcuit
    Would occassionally we would head up north to Longview but dont remember the street name.

Have cruized the Renton Loop in Renton WA (raced in the industrial areas where Boeing is now) and up on Broadway (to Dicks) in Seattle occassionally

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  22. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Cruized "Steak n Shake" Chippewa & Morganford, St. Louis, Missouri
    Raced on Hall St. 1958 Chev Impala Sport Coupe.

23. Van Nuys Blvd, I was there in my GTO until the day they closed it.

24. alwaystiredlong

alwaystiredlong

The Circle and the Thunderbird

25. Does anybody remember cruising Woodward Ave in Michigan? Stopping at Gelio's Pizzeria? late '50's early '60's? That was my grandfathers place. It was always packed with kids on cruise night.

26. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Hollywood Blvd. and The Sunset Strip 1960-1962 then 1964 to 1965..

27. 55courier

55courier
    BANNED

Denver Colorado. when cruising West Colfax, East Colfax when looking for trouble. We will not mention the kind of trouble...

28. allyoop

allyoop
    from Michigan

In Michigan we cruised main street and Lawrence in Charlotte...small town....my senior year.

I grew up in the burbs of Chicago but never had a nice car. I would go check out nice cars at White Castles on Harlem in Tinley and sometimes cars would go to White Castles in Oak Forest on Cicero. I never knew of a cruising area and never had enough gas money to do it.

29. vncruiser

vncruiser
    BANNED

Cruised Van Nuys Blvd '74-79...And doing it again today...

30. art.resi

art.resi

Spring street Paso Robles in the early 50"s