Register now to get rid of these ads!

the hot rodder`s who new to much; my RANT

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ange 33, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ange 33

ange 33
    from over here

so i know these guy`s who consider themselves [him & his father] seasoned hot rod builders. the first car they built took 10 years. the second is just about done about six years on this one. they are in the process of starting the third. my rant is not about how long it takes them to build its how they go about it. these guy`s are scroungers. they will hit all the swaps, drive around country roads looking for stuff. they spending hundreds of dollars on entry fees and gas to buy someones junk so the can take it to someone else to rebuild it for them when the could have gone tho the local parts store or speed shop and bought the part they needed for less money and get a manufacture warranty. example: they bought a starter for a chev motor [366 ci] $25.00 at a swap + $5.00 to get in + 1 hours fuel to get there in a 3/4 ton 4x4 03 chev p/u,[that is loaded with about 600 pounds of equipment because he uses this truck for his buisness, OT has nothing to do with any shape or form in the automotive industry]. then to find out that the swap starter does not work after installing it. take it out, buy a new drive gear re-install. sill not working, pull it out they call me and want to pick my brain an ask me what i think is wrong with it. i still cant figure out why they call me for info because behind my back they say that i dont know anything, they never take any advice that i give them anyways and that i have no idea of what im talking about! so i tell them, cut your losses go to a parts store and buy a rebuilt with a warranty[a no brainer]. dont take advice given. go buy a solinoid re-install, still doesnt work. the pull it again. take it to a rebuilder. $135.00 more for rebuild. re-install, finally they got it right. they do this with almost everything that they buy. obviouslly not learning from their mistakes [WTF]. they advertise on KIJIJI, that they are hot rod builders and that they build it right and do "everything the old school way". their cars have sagnaw steering columns with tilt and ignition on the column[introduced in 1969]. disk brakes[this is a whole other can of worms because they have never bought a proper convesion kit]. 10 bolt or 8.8 rear ends[they did not know the differance from a open rear end and a posi]. they run belly-buttons for motors[im not saying tha back in the day there wasn`t guys using 256`s or 283`s, but these guys use "350 LT1`s" like these motors flow like the water over Niagra Falls]. their first build the used a stock I-beam with a reversed eye spring. when i asked them why the spring sits on the I-beam[running & plated car] they said that`s the way it should be! they looked at me like i was on crack. the other thing that bothers me is that the have no idea of what they are saying. example their terminology Coker Tire pronounced Cooker as in coo-coo? Panhard bar pronounced Paner bar? Ed Roth = Ed Ruth, Louvers = Lougers Moonies = Mooneyes, yes there are people at LAX wearing sheets, holding tambourines asking if you would like to a flower with your hot rod parts. they really have no idea of the idiodic garbage that roll`s of there tounges. the best was the other night when i was talking to the son"the reason for the rant"! he tells me that he`s going to the up coming show in Las Vegas[VLV], he couldn`t even tell me the name of it other then that the Shifters are going to be there."his idols", everone needs someone to look up to i guess. not that i have a problem with them, seem to be a good bunch of guys but i dont know any personally. so he proceedes to tell me how good the show is, trying to rub it in. full well knowing at the moment i only work a total of 12 hours a week, baby sit my daughter from Mon to Fri while my wife works to keep the roof over our heads an food on table. so he`s telling me that all the "BIG TIME PINSTRIPER`S" are there, witch if asked he couldn`t name one of them. considering when it came down to stripe his car he choked on the quote he was given and proceded to use decal striping[cop out]. and here`s the KICKER he actually said to me that he say "ED ROTH SELLING HIS T-SHIRTS THERE LAST YEAR". HOLY "F" i near about had a coronary when he said that! WHAT A DUFUS!!!!!!! so to all going to VLV this year look out for a father & son team from Toronto, Canada[ 31 model A glass, 35 for p/u, 27 t sedan]. who know everythig there is to know about hot rodding the OLD SCHOOL WAY, you may pick up some valuable tip`s on how to do a proper build. BTW i`m not jealous, of these guy`s because they actually acomplished a rod build and i have yet to start my first[because i dont have a rod build of my own under my belt, i know nothing]. they always seem to forget that i was building rods & kit cars for other people in the early 90`s when the son was still sucking on his mother TIT! so sorry to all who read this and got nothing other than my verbal diarrhea, but i had to let ths one out as my first big post! i may not know everything but at least i can take constructive critisism from others around me who are in the know.

2. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

is there a cliffnote version of this post?

3. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

yup- he doesnt like some of the HAMB guys because they choose to take their time building with that the get. Not everyone wants to use Billet and chrome.

4. John Denich

John Denich

WOW that was hard to read!!!! whats a "256"

5. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Man, you're on a roll. Plenty of fools out there no doubt (myself likely included but I'm too dumb to know). Best not to worry about them, err I mean us.

6. Thanks Lenny.
    I don't want to sound like a dick BUT
    I couldn't make it past "New."

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Knew

sorry, its all i got

8. scoop

scoop

Been there.I bet 90% of the guys on here have too.Ed Roth is gonna be at VLV I better get arrangements made to be there!

9. John Denich

John Denich

ya if you got a time machine!!!!

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Ange33...as an author, I read a lot...but I couldn't get past the first paragraph...oh wait, there are no paragraphs in there...and not a lot of punctuation...

Please go to the back of the room and rewrite it so some of us can (and will want to) read it...

R-

11. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Bad day, huh?

12. the-rodster

the-rodster

Death to Canadians!

Rich

13. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Is it bad when your more interested in the insults than the original post?

14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, since you're not working on a build right now, just have another couple Moosehead and fix your shift key. It appears to be working intermittently.

15. ange 33

ange 33
    from over here

sorry i just type. thankyou for the correction "KNEW"

16. nutajunka

nutajunka

Damn one look at that paragraph and said F that! Sorry...:rolleyes:

17. Gigantor

Gigantor

18. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

so...Ange33 - FNG - how about you show us all the cars you've built in record time in your long career as a "real" hotrodder. I'd have to guess you're pretty young. Back when "old school" was new...scrounging is what we had to do. We couldn't open up any one of a myriad of street rod/hot rod magazines and order complete boxed frames with all the trick stuff. There were few swap books around - you had to engineer your own parts and procedures. Most of us that started back in the 50s still enjoy the build as much as the drive. If you think your most important tool is a checkbook or a VISA® card, then sit down and shut up - this just isn't your venue. Some of the cars that guys in here (young AND old) are creating involve scratch-built parts - not because there isn't a similar part available from a vendor, but because most of us aren't here to 'decorate' our cars by bolting things on, we're here to make something that reflects our skills, tastes and desires. I think you're just a whiner, not a real car person. Most true hotrodders don't spend their time worrying about what the guy down the street might be doing. Why do YOU find yourself concerned?

If you can't post pictures of cars YOU have CONSTRUCTED, then you need to back off of the guys that can.

dj

19. ange 33

ange 33
    from over here

wow, tough crowd.

20. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

A 265 missing 9 cubic inches? A rare Chevy engine pinstriped by Ed Roth?

21. 31modelo

31modelo

What's with all the words?

22. ange 33

ange 33
    from over here

i do build some of my own parts, i just dont get it when people buy something that they KNOW that they have pay to rebuild, and the rebuild cost more then your local parts store.

23. mac762

mac762

Yeah, why don't they just pay someone to build them a car? Wouldn't that be a lot easier and faster than knowing every part intimately? Jeesh.......:)

24. Psssst! its a little hard to read, here...
    homepage.usask.ca/~dul381/common/paragraph.html
    :D

25. ange 33

ange 33
    from over here

open border, welcome to invade.

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I've always thought that what other people did was none of my business.

27. Hey I know these two dummies as well, they started helping me out by welding the frame of my 23 t, and warped the shit out of it. They really are a bunch of boners. They defintiley talk a great talk but when it comes to " building things the old school way" they dont have a clue. Not that i am perfect or anything or that i did everything on my car period correct. But i did take alot advice from alot of great people on the hamb, including ange33 who has a lot of knowledge when it comes to hot rodding. I can understand why he is ranting and completely understand his frustration. As for the people that ange33 is refering to go out and get some knowledge, it means everything! And stop telling people that you built my car.

28. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Sorry,I couldn't read past the second sentence.
    Paragraphs!

29. ange 33

ange 33
    from over here

dyslexia.

30. ange 33

ange 33
    from over here

yes i agree. worry about your own back yard, not others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.