Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Is there such a thing as PURPLE CHROME?? I'll explain!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ian Berky, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

I have a set of spider caps i bought from VAPHEAD and i know ive seen yellow chrome and maybe even different colors " ALA KART" . Im thinking that my caps could look cool with a very light purple tint to them , even a very light pink. Nothing too loud but enough separate it from the chrome OEM wheel. Im running hubcaps now but i know ill wanna change things once in a while!!! Thank you!!

2. elrobo818

elrobo818

i think itll look good man. slight tint would give it nice detail.

3. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

I know!! very light!!!

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kind-of like 'black-chrome' but with a purple tint?

5. Barris used to sell a Candy like color to "paint" Chrome with. Not sure what it was or if something similar is still available

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

What the heck are you up to now???:D

Don't they have a "Candy" like powder coat process?? Maybe I'm relapsing?

7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

barris used to sell this stuff called kolor krome back in the 50s for doing just what you have in mind,,,i actually have a little book that devotes an entire article to it, , , , im sure there must be a modern version of this stuff available, , ,seems like a toner from candy paint or something similar.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

10. Can you spray a candy paint on top of the chrome?

11. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

YES! YES! YES!!! I like that pinkish tone!!! Thanx guys, keep the advice or tips coming!!!:)

12. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

13. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Your opinion or experience?

When contacted, they say different. And yes, I know that doesn't mean much, but it might be worth a shot.

14. John Denich

John Denich

15. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Check out this amazing 54 chevy. His wheels are like a green chrome. It says about it in the caption here. And here is a link to the full article on the car (which I can't get enough of!)

[​IMG]

16. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

One time I had a hubcap with spinner from the odelay days. The spinner was neon pink...........what was the name of the cap? Came factory........I cleaned it up and used it as a trophy at Billet Proof one year.

Oh this will bother me ALL day long.

17. There was thread on hear about the second process and guys seemed to indicate that the top coat is basically like the top coat on Base clear paint that guys said wasn't very tough if using it to replace chrome plating. Not to say that it doesn't have its place just the concensus seemed to be that using it for exterior chrome where it might see some road wear it didn't hold up very well.

18. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

IAN...1 of the steps to chrombing is copper coating first, and i've seen polished copper. man talk about RAD! i'am just saying...POP.

19. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

K13, you could be right. I,of course, spoke with a salesman!

I would be curious to find a colored chrome, or similar process that was durable.

20. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

21. HAHA. I have no persoanl experience with it but that was just what guys were saying. I can't remember what the thread was I searched but didn't find it.

I find it interesting that the guys doing the second process you posted make a point of saying that they are not doing what the guys in the first process you posted are. Makes you wonder. :D

22. Lowriders started powder coating dayton wires, the chrome acts as a base. I'm sure the same could be applied to anything chrome. I'm not sure if it's possible to create a light hue though.

23. oldchevy

oldchevy

24. Bullyboy

Bullyboy

The green wheel looks like green transluscent powder coat over chrome.
    A pink or purple pearl in clear powder coat would probably give you the desired effect too.
    Paint it with pearl is a good place for pearls and flakes

25. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My friend had his Lion speed head powder coated with a transluscent red.Looks good.

26. The article on the green Chevy said it was CosmiChrome. It is a spray on chrome that comes in colors. www.newchromeprocess.com. Supposed to be less durable than powder coating, but more durable than normal automotive finishes, and it really does look like real chrome if you don't stare at it too hard. Comes in many tints - every color of the rainbow and then some. That's how they do the chrome flame jobs, and cars that look like the whole car is chromed.

Putting anything on top of real chrome (aside from another layer of electroplating) will flake sooner or later. Chrome plating has a very smooth surface - nothing to grip too (even before it's polished). Smoother than polished clearcoat (molecularly). We all know what happens when you paint over a topcoat without scuffing it first, and if you scuff the chrome first, you will lose that deep shine, and depend on your candy to make the gloss, which will be gone in a couple of thousand miles on a wheel. My kid's car had worn down to bare metal through the factory silver powdercoating on the steel wheels, long before I got it (120k miles, 10 years old), which is far more durable than anything sprayed on over chrome could possibly be.

Electroplating (copper, nickel, chrome, whatever) can have tint added to it by adding different metals that will create a light tint of the color of choice. Probably the same stuff they use for purple anodizing, added to the vat of chromium solution. Problem is, you can't take it back out of the vat - that batch of solution is now only for people who want a purple tinted finish. I suspect that's what the 4chrome.com place is using.

27. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Thanx so much everyone for the GREAT info and direction, much appreciated!!!
    It looks like i might not be the only interested in colored chrome!!;):)

28. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

WTF?? I called these guys..... Biggest douche!! the sales person with the gnarliest armenian accent said " VE DON DO DAT! " He had no clue what i was talking about??? LOL!!:eek::)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  29. OLLIN

OLLIN