Register now to get rid of these ads!

lost parts in garage.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by re-animator, Jan 30, 2010.

1. raven

raven

I own at least 4 3/8" drive rachets.
    I'm lucky to find one at any given time...
    r

2. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

OK, I 'm missing one of my brand new "Snap on" socks. The Snap On tool man gave out very nice thick socks for Christmas...I'm already missing one. maybe it and my 7 /16's deap well socket are together.

3. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

do you remember having trouble getting it off, then throwing it at the floor, it bouncing up hitting you in the head and causing amnesia, then it probably flew up and stuck to the magnet? tools and car parts don't follow the normal laws of physics, they are like quantum physics, the same laws that say something can be in two places at the same time, also say the item can be there and not be there at the same time. or missing in two places at once.

4. Hell, I do this all the time with every project no matter where it is. Bring a tool or a part to do something, lay it down,and it's gone. Projects take twice as long becuase I lose one of everything for it at least once, probably 3 times!

I have not yet resorted to the plastic baggies but I am putting parts for projects in the projects, under them, in boxes, and labeled - I have to say it hasn't helped a bit!!!

5. Well, I used to loose a ton of parts. I started doing the plastic bag thing a couple months ago and no longer lose them. I still loose about a million tools a day though when I work on stuff. I find them in the weirdest places after as well.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

This is how my luck goes too:mad:

7. yblock292

yblock292

I have a special drawer in my tool box labeled "shit not to lose" and a box with the same label for bigger stuff.

8. Damn! Is this age related, gender related...? Who's related? What were we talking about?

Oh yeah, it's happened but I can't recollect how many times. Didja ever go looking for something, need to move a box but had something in your hand - the "something" you were looking for?

Been there, done it, but forget to buy a tee shirt. . :D :D

9. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

I'm pretty sure this has happened to me more times than i can count...

10. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

90% of the stuff I lose is my fault, but I can blame the other 10% on my wife and son. Sometimes I'm in my shop and the wife comes in (she has no legitimate business in MY shop) poking through my toolboxes trying to find the wrong tool to go in and mangle something beyond recognition in the house. I'm convinced my son is payback for me always leaving my dad's tools "out in the rain". Even in August in So Cal when it hasn't rained for months, to him everything outside was "in the rain". I often find my tools "out in the rain" when I'm mowing the lawn and chomp it with the mower. I'm most likely to find that part I'm looking for 2 years after I've sold the car. It was in a very safe place.

11. jimvette59

jimvette59

I wonder if I ever cleaned up will those things will come out of hiding.

Age is only a state of mind?

12. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Yes, usually after I already bought another one.

13. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Garage gnomes or gremlins... Yeah, I think I have them too. :rolleyes:

And sometimes, I I think I even hear them growl a bit right behind me. Then when I turn around there's nothing there except their awfull smell...

14. J ROD

J ROD

I'll put that part or tool RIGHT HERE so I will ALWAYS no where it is and NEVER,EVER loose it!!!!! GIVE UP Go buy another one

15. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not in the garage, but I was cleaning the basement out after Christmas and found a milk crate full of Chrysler hemi bearings, both new and used, as well as a bunch of the spark plug tubes and even 14 of the OE ceramic insulators for the end of the spark plug wires. Plus an old coffee can full of Champion N54 spark plugs. Know what was written on the can? "REATH". I remember buying this stuff from Joe Dodge in Newton, IA about 25 years ago. It's one of those things I had put away and forgotten about.

16. If I really cleaned out my garage, I might find entire cars I forgot I had. We are all in various ways describing a phenomenon that has puzzled physicists for centuries: Clutter, which is made up of solid matter, nonetheless behaves like a gas in that it expands to fill whatever space is available. I discussed this phenomenon with a guy I know who has a Ph. D. in physics from Johns Hopkins. He said that he had observed the same phenomenon many times but didn't understand it any better than I do.

17. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

and they seem to have a thing for beans and mexican food, eat it and they appear. Ask my wife she knows. :rolleyes:

This could be a new science field of study "junk" physics. :D

18. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

yeah, I mean, there SHOULD be a name for this right?

38fordpickup,
    maybe you should also look into 'Dark Clutter'. ;)
    This is the space between the Visable Clutter. That's also where dropped items usually end up at.
    Kinda like a black hole, but you can still escape from it if you don't get tangled up in the 'Visable Clutter'. But if you disturb the Dark Clutter too much, you unset the balance in your garage-universe and the Visual Clutter will collapse on top of you! So Beware!

19. Spooky

Spooky

I lost a pair of eyeglasses and when I went tearing into the garage looking for them, I rediscovered a Vespa wiring harness i had "lost" three years ago.

20. 6berry

6berry

same thing happen with the big tube that connects the steering column to the steering box. its a big solid steel piece the just disappeared right when I needed to use it. i did find some other useful parts while i was looking for it though. maybe i need someone to lose a part that i don't need so that when i look for it ill find another useful part.

21. chop32

chop32

22. Lost my new 1/4" socket found it a month later , I went to open the hood and there it was sticking out of the grille still on the bolt. The van just got back from Mississippi That socket rode all the way from Pa.to Ms. and back.

23. We recently moved from so cali to west texas...I had a box that had about $1,500 worth of restored chrome pieces for two antique gas pumps and a bunch of old oil cans and other cool shit. Well I couldn't find them for about 6 months...till Christmas. "Someone" lableled the box christmas instead of garage....I tried not to point any fingers, but i know it was my wife hahahahah

24. MoparBruce

MoparBruce

Originally Posted by reece [​IMG]
    On the flip side of this - do you ever find parts you forgot you had?

Yes after I've already spent the money to replace the lost parts.

God, did THAT just happen last night. I bought a thermostat and gasket for a project two month ago. Had it sitting on the roof --- for two months. I put the stuff on the roof ALL ON THE SAME SHELF, pushed the car outside. Couldn't find it. Finally broke down last night and bought another of each. While walking over to the truck, the paper rack caught my pant leg and fell over. There sits the thermostat in the tape bucket on the side.

25. CoelhoMaluco

CoelhoMaluco
    from Portugal

I have one of those gnomes... Mine is called DAD and it all happens when he decides that my shop needs some "order"... after that, i cant find anything... As an example... full ratchet set MIA... LOADS of bike parts also MIA... and even a couple electric tools...

Another funny thing is starting to look for something and after 20 minutes, after a lot of cursing, you dont even remember what you were looking for and you are just going trough all the cool stuff you didn't even remembered you had... ;)

26. I FOUND IT! in a box full of parts to cars I don't own....

27. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

28. rustyhood

rustyhood

I have to many to list here, My eyesight is probably my worse downfall. Not blind just cant see shit! A buddy was drinkin a beer with me the other night in the garage and said, man you gotta lot of stuff in here. I said ...yea if you see something interesting point it out, I have probably been looking for it!

29. Update: found all my stainless suspension stuff - I'm stoked!

Steve

30. thepoz57

thepoz57

I love losing bolts that came from a project only to find them AFTER I came from the hardware store to buy new ones. Bolts are one of those things that I am not going to make a special trip to the hardware store to return them. Hell, I wouldnt even put the guy behind the counter through that kind of drama. If I worked at a hardware store and a guy came in to return one bolt, I'd give him a buck and tell him to keep the bolt...