Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heads Up Guys, the buying SCAMS are still out there

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 277 HEMI, Feb 4, 2010.

1. 277 HEMI

277 HEMI

Guys last week I posted a SB HEMI FOR SALE on the site for 2.85K and some guy is trying to buy it but it's a SCAM using a FAKE Western Union money order. Keep you eyes open for this type of scam. Below is a copy of the email he sent me:

"I really appreciate your mail and am pleased with the condition and your asking price $2,850.I'll handle the shipping arrangement myself, Concerning the payment & shipping arrangement. My client in the state wants to pay me sum money worth $6,850 via a certified check drawn under lace>united states</ST1:place> bank.
    I'll instruct him to issue it on your name and address provide to me. Having it in mind that business is based on trust, immediately you confirm the receipt of the payment delivered. Take it to your bank and get it cash, deduct the amount due for the purchase and remit the remaining funds to my reputable shipping Agent via Western Union Money Transfer. After that,he will come over to your place for the pick up arrangement to commences. Also he 'll be the one to handle ownership tittle and other documents on my behalf in order for this transaction to work out fine..
    If this arrangement it's okay by you, kindly get back to me with all this details below so that the payment can be issue out for you without no further delays."

2. Sounds like the same old crap, they overpay you (with phony cashier's check), you wire them the overage, they laugh all the way to their bank (the sock under the mattress). Check comes up phony, you're stuck with the bill at the bank.

3. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

You have two options
    First ask that the shipper show up with cash in hand
    Or ask for contact phone # to discuss the details
    If they actually provide a phone # then
    Then go back to option one
    This is what I do when I get this type of offer
    And after the cash in hand request you never hear from them again

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

yep I got one once ,Don't even reply to this stuff.THEY WILL GO AWAY.

5. Other than Scamming, why in the HELL would a perfect stranger send another perfect stranger a bunch of extra money for a purchase?! If it were legit, what would stop the reciever from cashng it and keeping the whole thing?...

6. I ran an ad for an OT daily driver car on Craigslist and started getting the same kinds of requests almost instantly. I decided to mess with them and said that I would really rather that they would come to see the car themselves and to decide if it was right for them "to avoid any disappointments". They'd e-mail back and try to assure me that they were legit and that they were SURE that they would be happy with the car, and would I PLEASE just let the deal happen. So I'd offer to let them stay in my house so that they could look at the car and to arrange the shipping but only if they brought their wives... and if they had any attractive daughters that they could bring along that we could work out an even BETTER deal... :D Never heard from any of them after that! I use a Hotmail address for all of my ads like that because I KNOW that I'm going to get a ton of junk as a result, but it was fun to throw a little BS BACK over the fence!

7. panic

panic

Another variant: he sends you a xerox of the certified check, both sides, you can see the certification number.
    You check with the bank - it's real, the money was paid.

STOP!
    That's not the check you're going to get (the real one), instead you get an excellent Photoshop copy.
    Why?
    Because while he's giving you the copy, his pal is in the bank cashing in the real check.

8. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Hope he falls on his spear.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I tell em..im old, cranky..dont have a bank account dont trust my government, or its banks..
    please bring Cash, and a hand shake..or no deal..
    and some of what i just said is true..you get to guess at what is truth.:D

10. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

Fuckin crooks!!!!

11. dhughins

dhughins

i don't know how often ya'll use craigslist but 98 % of the emails you get when you put a listing on there are these same type scams.

12. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

With the advent of the internet, the proverbial "scams" have reached a new level. Don't waste your time even responding, it's not worth getting worked up over. If it seems to good to be true, then it is... that hasn't changed no matter what medium the scammers use.

13. 61bone

61bone

Recently put my T up for sale. Within 24 hours I had over 40 of these type responses. The first came in before the ad confirmation.

14. I like the ones where you post an ad and you get the reply usually on the first day "Hey man, is it still for sale?" ... seems legit except try posting six ads and you get the same response on all of them... yeah, right, DELETE...

Tell 'em to send the extra money to Haiti -

15. i get these people all the time on craigs list . i mess with them over a couple of days. they waste my time and i $#@%! with them

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put your 'InterPol' ID number, rank etc on the bottom of your e-mail to them....

17. gutrotton

gutrotton

I like leading them on for days at a time by sounding like an elderly person who wants their deal ,but has trouble communicating with them. Horrible spelling and grammer are a plus. I've dragged it on for as many as six attempts to "help me figure it out". It's fun to do. I encourage everyone to do it and post your conversations later.

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

Tell them to send you the check. I did. Have some fun with it. Bump the price.

"No, for me to go to that trouble, I'd need an extra $500". He'll agree. In my case they wanted me to mail the difference to some place in California.

I then put the check up in the garage. I printed out a picture of goatsi and mailed it to the place I was instructed to send the money to.

BUT use a throw away email address as they will pass off the address to every other scammer around.

[​IMG]

That's for a car I had for sale for $4500.

19. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I use to get these a lot from ebay ads, along with second chance offers etc. I bought a 67 nova up in Walton my brother in law lives up ,there so I paid for it the guy delivered it to my brother in law. a couple of days later I get a second chance offer stating that I could purchase it for my high bid, but they had moved it to ebays headquarters in CA for convenience and they would pay the shipping. another was a 392 in PA, I had a bidding war with someone it went to 1700, I get a second chance offer I say I will only pay the 900 which is where the other guy came in,he agrees. I say I will come pick it up, he tells me he has to leave the country that day but I should pay and he will pay shipping, now I don't know shipping rates but you have to figure a complete 392 from western Pa to long island can't be cheap, so I figured something was up this was in the early days of these scams so I was lucky to figure it out, have a bunch more but the song is pretty much the same I use to enjoy playing with them but haven'tgot many in the past couple of years
    hemi in Pa

20. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

Any check I get a go or call the bank if is from and have it verified. I also cash it at the bank or business that the check was drawn from. Even then I tell them they have to wait until the check clears.

Had an issue with a postal money order. The post office was very helpful.

21. I looked up the local police headquarters address and the captains name, had the guy send the check there under the captains name, never heard nothing back.

22. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

If anyone still falls for this type of scam, they deserve it.

23. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I tell them I can't do western union, as I'm havein a dispute wit hthem, but I wIL have cash for the driver when he picks up the item.

Seemsthey don't like cash either.

24. I have four Moneygrams for $950.00 a peice, that some testicle from back east sent me for a car I had on a local classified for $2500.00. He even called me to make sure I deposited them. I told him, Yes I cashed them, paid your shipper, and your sweet classic automobile is on it's way to you. I never heard from him again, and I still have his counterfeit moneyorders.

25. Happy Hooker

Happy Hooker
    from Wyoming

I wondered why I hadnt recieved my car yet.

26. brad2v

brad2v

Uh... you're not old?

27. Guess we need to go back to swap meet bartering - No scams there! ;)

28. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

compaired to what?;)

29. This line should have continued as follows, "and a Colt 45"

30. I tell them to send the money order..... then add it to my collection.

At least that way, it's costs them some time and a little money.