Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1959 Edsel - wide whites or skinny whites

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombypook, Feb 4, 2010.

1. kustombypook

kustombypook

I need your advice. I am going with painted steel wheels and spider caps on my '59 Edsel. The car will be lowered with shiny paint. Should I run wide whites or skinny whites. Your opinions please.

2. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

Let's see a picture. Color of the wheels and the car would make a difference.

My opinion, depends on the era you are going for. '61 and earlier= wide whites
    '62 and newer skinny whites. My own '60 will be going skinny once it gets painted because I'm going for the show custom look of '62-'63.

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Wide whites were still being used in 1959, I would go with W_I_D_E whites....

4. Lets assume you're building it like someone would back in the day. I'd say it would take about three years before Joe average, who wants a nice street custom, would buy it. I'm not saying noone bought a new car and cut it up, I know it wasn't that uncommon, but it wasn't what the average person did.

With that being said, you can run wide whites, just make sure the car represents 1960 or 1961 very well, and a '59 edsel should do that very well. When I was thinking of rocking an edsel, I planned on chrome wheels, skinny whites, and it was gonna be slammed. I was gonna flake the hell out of it aswell, so it would have been a '62-'63 style custom.

Oh yeah, and don't care what other people think, run what you want.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I'm planning to run the color-matched '58 Edsel spinner caps on my own personal '59 Edsel and I will be running wide whites on it. Personally, I feel that there was no car made in 1959 that's too modern to run WWW's, 1960 it depends on the car. I would only put the skinny whites on the car if you're aiming for a 1960's custom look, and even in that case, I'd try some two-stripe tires or Vogues or something like that.

6. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Honestly I would run the 2" to 2 1/2" whide whites and I would run reverse chrome wheels on it. Thats what I would do.

7. kustombypook

kustombypook

Thanks everyone. I was leaning towards the wide whites, and that seems like the popular opinion.

8. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

I have to buck popular opinion and go for skinny whites. I'm picturing your painted wheels and spider caps with wide whites and I think it'll look goofy.

9. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

id also have to say skinny whites. i have them on my 50. they were all i had at the time before i could afford some wide whites. but ive grown to love them. not alot of people have them so its kinda unique i guess. just my 2 cents

10. low-lincoln

low-lincoln

11. I gotta say skinny too on an Edsel.There is a lot of chrome,curves,and angles on that body styling and I think the wides would be a bit much.I also think wide whites were going on the way out about the time the Edsel would have been "touched up".

12. CrusadersNV

CrusadersNV

is there maybe such thing as a Medium whites? i always like to meet somewhere in the middle.

13. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

14. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Now available from HOTRODRUBBER on here.I have a set and they're great.I was shooting for 1960.Check out the "Coachmen Show" footage on here,really shows the variety in whitewalls way back,might give ya some ideas
    Paul

15. missysdad1

missysdad1

"Retro" was an unknown term when wide whites were still in style. Everybody was looking for something new, not something old.

With hubcaps or chromies you could go either way, but with spiders/rings your wheels will look "confused"...an awkward mixture of the old and the new.

Narrow whites were considered stylish and in near universal use by '62/'63 when spiders came on the scene. Wide whites were still popular, but were considered "dated" by then.

You'd occasionally see the wide white/spider combination back in the day, but usually on chrome reversed wheels, not on painted wheels. There were exceptions, of course, but they looked just as awkward then as they would today.

My suggestion: take a look at some of the "little books" of the '58-'62 era and get some ideas of what was "in"...and what wasn't.

You can do whatever you want, of course, but the car will look happier if you stay within convention and avoid mixing eras.

Just my $.02

:)

16. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Wide whites for me!

17. BruceVE

BruceVE
    from Sacramento

Here's my 59' before and after so you can make up your own mind.

This is when Alan Mays owned it
    DSC_0099.jpg

This is how I got it
    40 004.jpg

As it sits today
    IMG_0006_JPG.jpg

18. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

x2 !!!!

19. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

I have wide whites and spider caps. See avatar.
    <<<----

20. missysdad1

missysdad1

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010