Register now to get rid of these ads!

Radio's in your traditional?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no6, Feb 4, 2010.

1. I have a question, who has a radio or sound system in their rod? I don't, I could't hear it any way and I think it is out of place in a traditional hot rod just my opinion.

2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Milner's car had a radio :D

3. simplyconnected

simplyconnected

I have one. It's a wonderbar (Town & Country) that Gary Tayman retrofit. Looks original but does AM/FM/MP3... 's great! 4-ch stereo.

4. I'm planning on a small radio/cd player in the roadster. Hidden out of sight but there none the less. Straight pipes on the flattie so I don't know if it will be heard or not. I must hear my Duke Ellington, Howlin Wolf and a little Steve Ray Vaughn going down the road! And a little Bob Wills too...

5. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

I got one in my 49 chevy. It's old skool and I wasn't going to use a radio but the guys in our car club insisted. They gave it to me so I put it in the glove box.

6. .....got to have tunes in the hot rod,,,,,,fugetabout it..............no radio in the B/A that we used to run,,,,,but got to have cruzin music

7. I have driven hotrods for 50 years and always had a radio, so I don't think it is out of place and I think a rod without a radio is out of place.

8. billsat

billsat

Some of us less sophisticated heathens like to listen to a little music while also listening to a sweet exhaust note. I guess I'm just non traditional - how will I ever live with myself? PS - if thats your car in your avatar, it is really a great looking piece. I wouldn't put a radio in it either.

9. n8murphy

n8murphy
    from Malden MA

i have a wonderbar but i put a modern radio in the glovebox. the problem im having is the original speaker in the rear has one lead and for some reason has to be disconnected and reconnected when the power is turned on and off to work

10. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I HAVE to have music in anything I drive. In my truck, I put one in the dash. It was already cut and like I said, I need the music, so I stuck it there just to be quick about it. I plan on patching the dash and putting the head unit in the glove box soon. I'll use a non-working radio or radio delete plate in the dash afterwards. Nothing worse than an old looking dash and interior with a giant modern radio sticking out like a sore thumb. At least that's the way I feel. I hide the speakers too, by the way.

11. Real hotrods don't have one. If you build a street rod you'd probably put one in!

IMO I prefer to listen to the 8mm belt drive coming from under the hood.

12. Yes it is, thank you. I thought it looked out of place on the dash and like I said I can't even hear the passenger. Getting older though if I was doing it over I might try to run quieter exhaust and a hidden radio.

Attached Files:

13. amen yo hotrod 1940 ... music is part of hotroding and driving ! why is everyone so worried about fitting in ?? are we still in the fourth grade ? wait who took my lunch box ??

14. I like to listen to classical music on NPR when I'm driving Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup. I found a '30s vintage radio for $20 at a swap meet last year, the kind with the radio in a box under the dash and a radio head on the steering column with cables running from the control head to the radio. I gutted the radio case and concealed a cheap AM-FM radio inside it, don't need a high-dollar sound system, speakers in the kick panels not too conspicuous. I realize that I may be the only HAMBer who listens to Bach, Beethoven, and Brahms while driving a traditional hot rod.

15. n8murphy

n8murphy
    from Malden MA

I need something ive got a caddy with a stock exhaust i can hear myself breathe it gets to quiet.

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I will eventually have one in the A..but you will never know its there

17. millersgarage

millersgarage

fantasic point!!

my 28 coupe was built without a radio on purpose, so I use an Ipod, but my 47 will have a radio. It is the family truckster, so there is plenty of room for it and speakers.

18. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I plan on hiding one in the glovebox... don't know if I'll be able to hear it, but it would be good to have it when the car is parked and I want to hear some tunes. Maybe I'll rig my iPhone in there somehow...

19. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

I have a Zenith Roto-Matic AM radio in my '40 Ford. Unfortunately, listening choices around here are pretty much limited to talk radio, gospel music, and a Spanish language station. Where's the Wolfman when we need him? :(

20. barnfind08

barnfind08
    from minnesota

Geez, radios? whats next electric fans, overflow tubes and repo parts?

21. bluesman

bluesman
    from spring tx

amen on that note for dam sure!!!!!.im the same way got has some tunes,thinking of way myself to put tunes in a deuce sedan.....

22. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

Milner's car only had one because the script called for it. He turned it off anyway....

23. phukinartie

phukinartie

This crap again? Cmon really!!!

24. Shobra

Shobra
    from SLC, Utah

Not only did Milner's car have a radio, but you can bet that it was THX certified lol!!!!:D

THX 138

25. bluesman

bluesman
    from spring tx

now thats what i am talking about right here!!!
    how about some..freddy king,jimmy reed,buddy guy, elmore james,
    albert king&stevie ray togther:D try this guy gary clark jr from austin tx damm good;)

26. In all fairness, my hatred of tape-decks and cd players in cars is almost as deep as my love for music. I've got to hunt down an OE radio for my car, because someone hacked up the dash for a tape deck, and I don't really listen to Cd's. So, I've got my Zune running straight into my power amp, and into my speakers (2-10's and a couple of horns. It was all free (except the Zune)). It sounds fantastic, and is completely hidden until I pop the decklid. I even run my 1/8->RCA cable underneath the carpet.

Just something to think about folks, an mp3 player is a modern solution to the old time problem. It also lets you have a glove box, and is a lot cleaner than using a cd player, and it doesn't skip. Its just an idea.

27. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Hell yeah, with an amp, 6 1/2" seperates and a 12" sub behind the seat. I'm working on a dropdown mount for underdash so you can't see the cd player. I keep all my shit hidden, the A/C fires through the speaker grille, the airbag switches are inside an old lunchbox on the seat, etc., but I gotta have the tunes when I tire of the flowmaster station.....

28. bigblockdude402

bigblockdude402

I would if I could, but I can't so I don't.

29. weldtoride

weldtoride

http://www.rediscoveradio.com/

lets you run an ipod, satellite radio or similar device thru your vintage car antennae cable to your vintage radio. has 6 and 12 volt units

check it out, as he's an Alliance vendor

30. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

my first hot rod in 1964 had a am radio, few years later we had am with 8 track, i have never had a car -rod=hot rod without a radio, music and cruisin thats what we did, jmo