Register now to get rid of these ads!

700r4 transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinastirSpeedShop, Feb 4, 2010.

1. I have one behind my Hemi with a 9inch and 3.55 gears. I love it

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^This. I, personally, will not build one without it these days. My customers like to make "adjustments." Some have killed their fresh 700r4, via TV cable adjustment, and came right in for warranty work, expecting that I would not notice.:mad:

I paint mark critical adjustments.

It is not hard to adjust. Just set it right, and don't mess with it.

3. mj40's

mj40's

I had an 83 Chevy van and an 86 Burb and they both had 3:08 factory rear ends with a 700r4. I changed the van to 3:50's and the Burb to 3:73's and made a huge difference in mileage in these heavy cars. After the change I noticed the ratio difference between 1st and 2nd was extreme and around town I had to leave a stop light easy in first and then could nail it in second. If I didn't the difference in ratios would bog it down between gears and kill the speed unless I hit it hard at every light. I'm thinking of putting a 200r4 for in my 40 pickup behind a 401 nailhead. Think the ratio between all gears is more even. Is there a better year to look for in a 2004r?

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Works as advertised. I have installed six. No call-backs. You still need to attach and properly adjust the TV cable, though.

5. How critical is the TV adjustment with the TCI valve body? I've never installed a TV canble, but I got all the info/parts for my current 200-4R from Bow Tie and took GREAT pains to do the adjustment. However, I'm scared to death that I'll burn it up by the time I get to the end of the driveway...thus the curiosity about the constant pressure VB...

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is still pretty important, and it still needs to be done properly, for proper shifting. The TCI valve body just removes the risk of destruction if you miss, or the cable snaps.

Adjusting the cable is not hard at all. Just follow the instructions and you will be just fine. If you need to change the shift points, work on the governor, not the TV cable.

7. shifts

shifts

If you have a valve body with a lock up valve train, you DONT NEED ANY WIRING to make lock up work. All valve bodys from 82-87 had the lock up valve assy. 88s had an aluminum slug where the lock up valve train normally would be. However, you can use the lock up valve train from early models. Its a very simple process & we have been doing it for years. All our performance trannys go out the door this way. REPEAT, no wiring or even wire connectors!! DAVE

8. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

When you drop them they do not bounce well:
    [​IMG]

9. shifts

shifts

On another note, you can use an earlier valve body & separator plate on the 89-93. However, it must be from an 87-88 w/ aux valve body. If you have any questions on this feel free to give me a call. DAVE

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see that I am not the only one.

11. shifts

shifts

OOPS, I meant 89-92

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010