Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lakster or Dirt Track ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exStreamliner, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Current wheels work for me.

2. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I thought I'd post some pictures from behind the scenery (Whippet shell)... first it is an optical illusion... Ford suspends the radiator on mounting tabs off of the vertical tank side straps... from what I can determine the Whippet lays directly on the sheet metal... so we did it a little differant... a formed 10 Ga support becomes an extention of the Model A front crossmember... the radiator sets above the support and the shell below it... so if the axle wouldever come in contact with the frame it would protect the radiator... the frame horns were then cut off and visually all you see is the shell

Additionally, thanks for the critical eye and comments... it doesn't pay to miss anything that wasn't thought of during the construction stage... and if ya look close you will notice that the center of the three point suspension is inline with the crank and the frame center is the water pump/fan shaft... gotta love those Y-Blocks

Attached Files:

3. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

More Pixs

Attached Files:

4. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Thom, I'm really liking the Whippet shell . Car is really coming together. I like the combination of parts. Looking foward to more updates.

41 Dave

5. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Thanks for the comments... I need a radiator cap and would like a vintage helmet...

6. Graham08

Graham08

I am really liking this build. The fabrication looks great, and I dig the Whippet shell. I've never actually seen one of those on a Whippet, though. :D

Can't wait to see it at Detroit!

7. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The Whippet shell on the car is a 27 and they still used them on the early 28 four cylinders... one of the books I was doing research on stated that there wasn't a Whippet in the L.A. basin that still had its grill/radiator... seems the demand was so high during the early Lakes years that they were being lifted without the owners consent...

8. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Yippie-yi-aye Melon Farmer (PG version from Die Hard)... I have arranged transportation for both cars to Detroit Autorama... if your gonna have the opportunity to do ya gotta go for it... but, being laid off and facing double trouble (transporting issues) has been a issue... but I'm glad to say it is one more item off the check list with less than three weeks to go!

9. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Thom, Congrats on your trip to Detroit. I will enjoy it on the HAMB and in the mags. Have fun.

41 Dave

10. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

[​IMG]

I started an album for those that would rather look through pixs than read the history channel

11. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Thanks Dave... I'll just be glad when the deadline is over... Carey formed the hood side panels yesterday (no pixs - forgot the mem stick)... now more louvers and finish the lower firewall... hopefully next week we will be lowering it 6" (reinstalling the belly pan)

12. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Thom, Looking forward to the new lowered stance. Could you take some pix of the belly pan ? Did it come with the car or did you build it ?

41 Dave

13. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The belly pan is visable in a few shots... the Essex frame is cantilevered so it is actually 4" lower along the radius rods and follows the frame taper... then as the frame becomes narrower again the belly pan continues in at the same angle as the front which makes the back 6" lower... the frame work is shown in detail and the louvered bottom is also visable... we need to finish the side panels on both sections... there is a pan that encloses the motor and follows the radius rods to the bell housiung and the back section picks up behind the radius rod and stops where the frame is Z'd... thats why I can have louvers in the floor because the belly pan is below it

Attached Files:

14. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Thom, Boy all I can say is "WOW , WOW ! !" That is some really super neat fab work going on. Hope to be able to see this car in person some day. Bet that Y-Block will have a neat rumble !

41 Dave

15. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Side panels and lower firewall in... now back apart to hammer weld the firewall and louver the side panels

Attached Files:

16. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Thom, With each new picture my mouth hangs out a little further. There is more than a trace of drool as I check it all out. Keep on a posting ! I am hooked.

17. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Well it back apart so it will just be detail shots for awhile... here is the unfinished front Belly pan section leaning up against the backside of the shortened 18 T turtledeck... a overall shot to give a perspective of size - 95" wheelbase and it sets pretty low for untilizing a three point suspension and non-dropped axle... then we have guard dog checking out todays progress!

Attached Files:

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'll be about 95" in my T roadster, as well... but the Y block will make your car a hair quicker than my 1930 banger... :D

Looks great. Love all the details.

19. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

More Pixs... Hey Brent if the T is as nice as the A your putting together is will be a nice ride

Attached Files:

20. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Detail shots of the front Whippet radiator support and side view

Attached Files:

21. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Made some progress on the firewall

Attached Files:

22. man i gotta tell you i've loved reading this.. I'm gonna be putting a warmed over Y in my 47 Ford, but my absolute dream rod is a 27 roadster with a dual-quad 312.. you're livin my dream:p

23. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Anyone know of a radiator cap that will fit a 27 Whippet... 2" inside fine thread... nothing like waiting to the last minute - I've only had the radiator a year so why worry about a cap until a week before I need it...

24. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

When you find a source, post it. I need one too.

25. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Been to busy to post pixs... I'll try to catch up

26. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Starting to rework belly pan

Attached Files:

27. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The louvered center panel were welded in which wasn't the best way to go... the side panels were formed, drilled/tapped, and attached with button allens... more work better finish, future access, and repair if someone gets crazy

Attached Files:

28. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Pixs showing floor in relation to the pan... plenty of ventalation...

Attached Files:

29. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Lower view

Attached Files:

30. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

More pixs

Attached Files: